Author Topic: Third place is within our grasp  (Read 4567 times)

Re: Third place is within our grasp
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've seen too much from this team this season to believe we've completely turned the corner, esp. considering the past 2 games really didn't look much different from our pre-GS win... only difference is we won the last couple games.

I still believe there's issues and question weather or not we can continue to overcome these issues.

if we get the 3rd spot then great! but I wouldn't go counting on it.

I agree. I wasn't particularly fond of the way we played vs. the Lakers. Kyrie killed it as usual but the rest of the offense and the defense was just standing around. The team didn't play as smooth as they did in GSW and by right we should've won that game by 30. That Lakers team is crap. Plus, we need alot more from Tatum and Brown. Horford has been the one steady contributor on this team that goes under the radar.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I've seen too much from this team this season to believe we've completely turned the corner, esp. considering the past 2 games really didn't look much different from our pre-GS win... only difference is we won the last couple games.

I still believe there's issues and question weather or not we can continue to overcome these issues.

What issues in particular? ISO-ball? Poor transition D? Those are the ones I see as still lingering. However...

I do think the Celtics have improved with their half-court D and that Brad has had a tighter leash with timeouts!

For me, it's D and overall effort.

I thought the team looked flat against both SAC and LAL, like they were just going through the motions.  So when a depleted Lakers put up 107, and the team barely squeaks by the Kings who put up 109, it reinforces what I'm seeing with the effort.  If the C's played the same way they did for the Warriors, neither of those teams would have broken 80.  Lakers were hanging around too, down only 5 mid way through the 3rd.

Remember that team from last year that was reguarly holding opponents to under 100?

Last year the team held 41 opponents under 100.  This year so far it's only been 19.  That list (from both seasons) includes GS x2, PHI x4, OKC x3, MIL x2, TOR x3, HOU x1, Team LeBron x1.    So why did SAC and LAL put up as many points as they did?

Maybe comparing this year to last isn't the greatest comparison, as scoring is up league wide (111 in '19 vs 106.3 in '18).    After all, C's were 3rd best in opponents ppg last year, and 4th best this year, so right around the same spot.  But LAL and SAC are both below average teams (SAC close to avg though), and they both put up more than the C's average opponents ppg (106.6).  Can't let those teams hang around.  And if the team had turned the corner, you'd think maybe they'd allow fewer points when compared to what the C's were allowing before they turned the corner?

I hope they've turned the corner, but I didn't necessarily see it against LAL and SAC.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:26:22 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

What issues in particular? ISO-ball? Poor transition D? Those are the ones I see as still lingering. However...

I do think the Celtics have improved with their half-court D and that Brad has had a tighter leash with timeouts!

the D overall still not great and offensively i'm not as impressed as I was against GS, the ball and bodies moved.

right now i'd say the only difference between us pre GS win and post GS win is kyrie's been more engaged... which doesn't really explain the SAC win but we've been able to win games w/out kyrie all season.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

That poor transition defense drives me crazy. It's the first thing you learn in basketball. Don't let anyone get behind you!

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

That poor transition defense drives me crazy. It's the first thing you learn in basketball. Don't let anyone get behind you!

all of it sucks imo. their offense, while better is still pitiful.

defensively - they need to have a sense of where guys are and where the ball is going. right now we look like we've never heard of defense. there's no 2nd, 3rd or 4th effort on defense... which is another reason why we don't rebound - that's considered another "effort".

offensively - this is coming from a guy not a fan of Stevens' offense to begin with, soooo...

1st things 1st at this point while I would never wish or hope an injury on any player, if morris came down with something that kept him out the rest of the yr. I would be A-OK with that.

why the hell is the "role" player being featured in the offense!??!?!? why does he get so many touches!?!?!!? he should only get the ball when a play breaks down for a better player who has to pass it off to beat the shot clock. this shouldn't need to be explained either.

also a big issue that's going on and it's been a thing since stevens came here... it just goes through stages of awful. you see guys moving and the ball is moving but nothing is getting accomplished, essentially guys are just playing catch out there - when driving to the basket we're passing the ball before defenders commit. instead of actually being a threat to take it to the basket.

this is such an issue with us. 

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

all of it sucks imo. their offense, while better is still pitiful.

defensively - they need to have a sense of where guys are and where the ball is going. right now we look like we've never heard of defense. there's no 2nd, 3rd or 4th effort on defense... which is another reason why we don't rebound - that's considered another "effort".

offensively - this is coming from a guy not a fan of Stevens' offense to begin with, soooo...

1st things 1st at this point while I would never wish or hope an injury on any player, if morris came down with something that kept him out the rest of the yr. I would be A-OK with that.

why the hell is the "role" player being featured in the offense!??!?!? why does he get so many touches!?!?!!? he should only get the ball when a play breaks down for a better player who has to pass it off to beat the shot clock. this shouldn't need to be explained either.

also a big issue that's going on and it's been a thing since stevens came here... it just goes through stages of awful. you see guys moving and the ball is moving but nothing is getting accomplished, essentially guys are just playing catch out there - when driving to the basket we're passing the ball before defenders commit. instead of actually being a threat to take it to the basket.

this is such an issue with us.

Great post. European basketball is all drive in, kick out, and it works. Tommy says all the time, "Drive to the basket and good things will happen!"