Author Topic: If I had a chance to trade Smart For Elfrid Peyton I would do it in a heartbeat  (Read 97781 times)

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't think it's smart to base a player on their rookie season. Rondo was TERRIBLE as a rookie. Guys like Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans were great as rookies and the regressed. It's really about year-to-year progression. I'm sure the Magic have high hopes for Peyton, but having watched Smart all season, I think if he progresses his shot, attacking the rim and ball handling, he could be a serious force in this league. Only time will tell though. These guys are too young to predict at this point.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
This game illustrates what Smart fans have been saying about him all along. He makes winning plays. Every now and than it comes via a big three and a game winner but more often its the little things like being in position to take a charge on Derozan forcing him to fade away late in OT.

Dude wins.

What did you on that play besides be there?

You need a better example, and there are some.

Smart is a competitor who will most of the time want it more than the guys he is facing. Hes got a firy edge to him that no matter what he wants to prove the players hes up against wrong.

If you look at the thread , my points about smart are more about his skill level than his "heart" or hustle.

And I never said he could not improve on those skills. I never put a ceiling on him even though i have my doubts.
Well he did nothing except be there and that was an incredibly important play. If smart isn't in position there derozan makes yet another lay up and we lose the game. It's just an example of a play that you don't see in highlight packages and I don't think you can teach. I agree that you haven't disparaged his heart and bbiq but you have seemed to dismiss it you typically say something like I don't doubt his heart but he really struggles to get in the paint and finish. Smart had KG like heart. To go across sports how about Tom Brady. Are you a pats fan? If you are if assume you are the type that wanted us to roll with garopollo after the chiefs game because he has a better deep ball and can evade the rush better.

The point is that Marcus Smart is a stud both between the ears and in his heart. On top of this he's taken his biggest deficiency in shooting and improved into a passable shooter. I you watch the games he plays a very small role in the offense but even so he is beginning to get to the basket more effectively. His competitiveness drive and overall positive impact on the game if he can get to be a decent penetrator/ finisher he will be an absolute stud. This is why I'd rather have smart. You can't teach heart just ask the Seattle Seahawks and the NFL about Tom Brady

You really dont take heart over talent.

If you want to win 35 games every year with a team that is less talented, Smart is a great fit or what he at this point..

Smart will and should get better anyways.

But im not taking Smart over Elfrid because of "heart"......And I dont think others would either in the NBA unless they are looking to add a small piece.

With that said, Smart has made some nice drives to the basket, hes also gotten fouled on some that the refs decided not to blow the whistle.

Im excited to see if he can improve on things he does average or below average for next year.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, after watching two years of uninspired Rondo and Green ball with no heart, I'm beginning to question that lol

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't think it's smart to base a player on their rookie season. Rondo was TERRIBLE as a rookie. Guys like Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans were great as rookies and the regressed. It's really about year-to-year progression. I'm sure the Magic have high hopes for Peyton, but having watched Smart all season, I think if he progresses his shot, attacking the rim and ball handling, he could be a serious force in this league. Only time will tell though. These guys are too young to predict at this point.

There it is, 29 pages into the thread. TP.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Im done comparing and trying to prove points. I think we have all come to an understanding of the future of these two and what they are are capable but just wanted to throw out another great line from Payton.

17, 9 assists, 9 rebounds in a win vs the Bulls.

and this impressive dunk

Hes been killing it since all star break, shooting 82 from the line and averaging 9.2 assists, and 6.8 rebounds per game along with 14.1 points per games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGfjv-QPd4

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I hate to be the "look at the team record" guy, but what's the W-L record for the Magic since the All-Star break, I wonder?

Always, always, always be skeptical of what guys do in March and April, especially when they are playing for or against bad teams, and especially when both teams in the game are bad.

What people don't seem to understand with Smart is that when you consider Effective Field Goal percentage rather than the basic field goal percentage stats, his numbers are perfectly on par with any of the other rookie guards. 

Smart's usage rate is also a lot lower, he gets more steals, and he plays crunch time minutes for a team that's actually trying to win games against opponents that are typically not taking the fourth quarter off.

Rookie Guard Stats

Smart's Effective Field Goal Percentage is higher than Wiggins, Exums, Payton, and Hairston. 

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
and like clockwork (orange?) c2030 bumps his own thread when something that supports his single thesis appears. 

but better days lay ahead for us all since, as authored by c2030, he is now "done comparing and trying to prove points." hallellujah, hallejuah!

no more will this poor deceased equine of a thread be pummeled, kicked, or poked.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I hate to be the "look at the team record" guy, but what's the W-L record for the Magic since the All-Star break, I wonder?

Always, always, always be skeptical of what guys do in March and April, especially when they are playing for or against bad teams, and especially when both teams in the game are bad.

What people don't seem to understand with Smart is that when you consider Effective Field Goal percentage rather than the basic field goal percentage stats, his numbers are perfectly on par with any of the other rookie guards. 

Smart's usage rate is also a lot lower, he gets more steals, and he plays crunch time minutes for a team that's actually trying to win games against opponents that are typically not taking the fourth quarter off.

Rookie Guard Stats

Smart's Effective Field Goal Percentage is higher than Wiggins, Exums, Payton, and Hairston.
be forewarned, c2030 doesnt like stats. they get in his way.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
and like clockwork (orange?) c2030 bumps his own thread when something that supports his single thesis appears. 

but better days lay ahead for us all since, as authored by c2030, he is now "done comparing and trying to prove points." hallellujah, hallejuah!

no more will this poor deceased equine of a thread be pummeled, kicked, or poked.

Calm down angry man.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Win and Loss records are funny

especially when teams are in different stages.

To fit your narrative you made great points, but they mean nothing in terms of skills.

Effective FG % might be the only decent stat besides defense that puts Marcus on Elfrid's level. The rest is not close.

Its an eye test.

This is not a contest. I like both to a certain extent although I prefer Elfrid's potential and point guard skillset. Hes special.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This thread has been bumped enough & run its course.  Locked.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team