Author Topic: If I had a chance to trade Smart For Elfrid Peyton I would do it in a heartbeat  (Read 97788 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
but it's hard not to see Noel and Peyton's rookie dominance and not get a little peeved at the blown opportunity. 

I don't think the word "dominance" means what you think it means.

Mike

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Hat tip to celtics2030 comment which nails it.
Just wanted to add that MS is much stronger: they are roughly the same height (Smart is 2 cm taller) but Smart is 25 kgs heavier, which is for the most part muscles.

Get out of here with that metric system crap! This is America!  ;) lol jk jk

Seriously, though, like no one I know in the States can really fluently use the metric system. Is it the same way in other parts of the world with our imperial system of measurement?

Link: http://mentalfloss.com/article/55895/countries-havent-adopted-metric-system

In the world today, the only countries NOT on the metric system are:
- US
- Liberia
- Burma

That's it. The US system of measurements is hideously complicated, unwieldy, and outdate.

Quick, add 1 foot 7 inches, 1 yard 14 inches, and 2 feet 11 inches. Or, try adding 2 lbs 12 oz with 17 ounces, with 3 lbs 9 ounces. By the way, how may ounces in a quart? gallon? pint? and having 1 1/2 quarts, 3 gallons, and 5 pints gives you how many ounces?

Now try adding 1 meter 3 centimeters, 2 meters 40 centimeters, and 24 centimeters.

the difference and ease of use is glaringly apparent. having lived in both the US and metric-based countries, it is hands down better to live in a system with a metric system.

aside from "but it's all i know and its inconvenient to learn something new" i have yet to see any reasons for the US to not convert. i wish they would, life would be easier for everyone.

if the US was using the metric system now, and someone suggested a switch to the "foot/inch" system, everyone who think this person is nuts for trying to change to such a painfully complex system and away from a globally accepted, easier system.
I knew there weren't that many that didn't use the metric system, but I didn't know it was just three!  :o

I believe at one time we were heading towards the metric system under Eisenhower or something but it didn't end up materializing.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
STATS mean nothing

Statements like these aren't going to to help you prove your point to very many people. If you can't back up your assertions with verifiable evidence people just aren't going to lend your opinion much credence. Stats aren't everything, and don't tell the whole story, but to dismiss them out of hand is absurd. And interestingly enough, it's the stats that would seem to suggest Payton is having the better season. You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit here.

But beyond that, the overall disrespectful tone you've taken in this thread will most certainly cause you to lose any credibility. It's just unnecessary.

Outside of that, I would say Payton has had the slightly better rookie season, overall. And the stats others have posted in this thread seem to bear that out.  He is a bit ahead in his early development, but I think that's partly a byproduct of the fact Payton has been given more minutes and a much more freedom to do as he pleases on the court.

But one thing is clear, Smart and Payton are completely different players. They share very little in style of play. Payton has shown himself to be a better playmaker/passer, but Smart has shown himself to be a better scorer/shooter. The numbers don't necessarily bear out Smart being the better scorer, per se, but watching the two play, it is clear Smart has more scoring ability. Smart, while barely average at this point, is still a much better shooter. Watch Smart's mechanics compared to Payton's, the difference is night and day. Smart has a shooting stroke that suggests when he learns better shot selection he will be at the very least a good shooter. Payton has shooting mechanics that are very bad, and will take immense amounts of work to fix.

On the defensive end, I'd give Smart an edge also, but it's marginal. Both are good defenders, albeit a bit different.  Payton uses his quickness and lateral mobility to gets steal and disrupt passing lanes, while Smart uses his strength and tenacity to cause chaos and play his man one-on-one.

This makes me laugh.....you are basically pulling this out of your butt.

using the phrase "Difference is night and day"

so sickening to hear things like this ,

Have you seen Peyton play??????

The guy can get to the basket and finish......

Has MArcus gotten anywhere close to the basket this year?????????

Peyton is not Rondo yet, he can actually improve his shooting,,,,, Peyton was a decent shooter in college, as good as Smart.

You are seriously just going overboard with thinking you know things.

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Marcus Smart ,
5 points , 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1-4 , 1-3 from 3 Point Line , 2-2 from Free Throw

Elfrid Payton
22 Points, 4 rebounds, 12 assists, 9-16, 0-1 from 3 Point Lines, 4-5 from Free Throw

Besides tooting my own horn over one game

Marcus Smart again only shooting 3 pointers, while Elfrid Payton getting to the paint, creating and 1's, 10 points in the 4th quarter tonight, 2nd straight night with 10+ in the 4th

Can we believe that Marcus Smart can do anything on offense besides shoot 3 pointers?

Stats mean nothing you say?
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
No, Smart's shooting stats in the NBA are clearly better than Peyton's.

No they are not...but he is shooting better so far.

They both are still 40% shooters, no matter how you want to spin it...

Although Elfrid has been an abomination at the line,

but he takes no three pointers.

Right now Smart is actually benefiting from this freelance offense SHOOTING WISE, but he still cant shoot, or drive.
Smart shoots better from every single distance on the floor.

Becuase has like 2 or 3 shots at every zone LOL.....All he does is shoot 3's , and thus is why the END GAME is that they both are 40% shooters right now.

SMARTS SHOT CHART THIS YEAR

Hmm this is interesting. Because i hear that stats dont mean anything.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Have you seen Peyton play??????

You're right, I have not watched whoever this "Peyton" fellow is. ;)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
but it's hard not to see Noel and Peyton's rookie dominance and not get a little peeved at the blown opportunity. 

Mike
I mean compared to other rookies they have been tremendous.  They are dominating the rookie class. 

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
STATS mean nothing

Statements like these aren't going to to help you prove your point to very many people. If you can't back up your assertions with verifiable evidence people just aren't going to lend your opinion much credence. Stats aren't everything, and don't tell the whole story, but to dismiss them out of hand is absurd. And interestingly enough, it's the stats that would seem to suggest Payton is having the better season. You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit here.

But beyond that, the overall disrespectful tone you've taken in this thread will most certainly cause you to lose any credibility. It's just unnecessary.

Outside of that, I would say Payton has had the slightly better rookie season, overall. And the stats others have posted in this thread seem to bear that out.  He is a bit ahead in his early development, but I think that's partly a byproduct of the fact Payton has been given more minutes and a much more freedom to do as he pleases on the court.

But one thing is clear, Smart and Payton are completely different players. They share very little in style of play. Payton has shown himself to be a better playmaker/passer, but Smart has shown himself to be a better scorer/shooter. The numbers don't necessarily bear out Smart being the better scorer, per se, but watching the two play, it is clear Smart has more scoring ability. Smart, while barely average at this point, is still a much better shooter. Watch Smart's mechanics compared to Payton's, the difference is night and day. Smart has a shooting stroke that suggests when he learns better shot selection he will be at the very least a good shooter. Payton has shooting mechanics that are very bad, and will take immense amounts of work to fix.

On the defensive end, I'd give Smart an edge also, but it's marginal. Both are good defenders, albeit a bit different.  Payton uses his quickness and lateral mobility to gets steal and disrupt passing lanes, while Smart uses his strength and tenacity to cause chaos and play his man one-on-one.
Tp for a well articulated and informed post. Also, welcome to the world of c2030. His MO includes selective memory, ignoring points he can't refute, personal slights towards other posters' opinions (calling them liar, drug user, etc), and a seeming refusal to learn. This thread is not the first like this.

May I suggest you cease trying to engage in a meaningful two-way debate with him? But please feel free to feed him if you so wish.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Mike
I mean compared to other rookies they have been tremendous.  They are dominating the rookie class.

Maybe you could say EP is dominating based on his draft position, but Wiggins and Parker are on a different level than the rest of the rookies. So I'm not sure how you can say that they're dominating the rookie class when they're merely in the conversation for being the third and fourth best-playing rookies this year.

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Mike

Maybe you could say EP is dominating based on his draft position, but Wiggins and Parker are on a different level than the rest of the rookies. So I'm not sure how you can say that they're dominating the rookie class when they're merely in the conversation for being the third and fourth best-playing rookies this year.
Whether or not they are "dominating" or not Id certainly rather have Noel and Payton than Crowder, and two late firsts. That trade would have been sweet. LarBrd and I tend to disagree on a lot of points but that trade could have fast fowarded this rebuild a lot.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Mike

Whether or not they are "dominating" or not Id certainly rather have Noel and Payton than Crowder, and two late firsts. That trade would have been sweet. LarBrd and I tend to disagree on a lot of points but that trade could have fast fowarded this rebuild a lot.

Well so would any rational person I would think, but, like always, hindsight is 20/20.

They're doing good and I would probably grant that they're playing the third and fourth best basketball of rookies this year, even better than Smart. But I wouldn't necessarily say they are dominating in any way, either.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
No, Smart's shooting stats in the NBA are clearly better than Peyton's.

No they are not...but he is shooting better so far.

They both are still 40% shooters, no matter how you want to spin it...

Although Elfrid has been an abomination at the line,

but he takes no three pointers.

Right now Smart is actually benefiting from this freelance offense SHOOTING WISE, but he still cant shoot, or drive.
Smart shoots better from every single distance on the floor.

Becuase has like 2 or 3 shots at every zone LOL.....All he does is shoot 3's , and thus is why the END GAME is that they both are 40% shooters right now.

SMARTS SHOT CHART THIS YEAR

Hmm this is interesting. Because i hear that stats dont mean anything.

what are stats?

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Oh yea stats do matter,

I guess we look forward to Marcus Smart becoming the next ray allen based on his preference to shoot 3 pointers

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Mike

Mirotic has also played pretty well although coming from a different place.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Oh yea stats do matter,

I guess we look forward to Marcus Smart becoming the next ray allen based on his preference to shoot 3 pointers
Ya cus thats what everyone has been saying. I cant tell if you are a troll, an Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., an idiot, or all 3.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.