Author Topic: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show  (Read 32780 times)

Re: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 11:15:05 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
if anything, i just wish the Sports Hub would focus on the C's a little more. 'EEI doesn't carry Pats games (98.5 does), but they do a good job analyzing them. 98.5 should do something with analyzing the Celtics.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
With Dale relegated to purgatory (fill in host? C'mon), you can pretty much kiss Bruins talk goodbye on EEI, also.

Whatever your feelings are on the NHL, "Dale & Holley" were pretty hockey friendly and, specifically, Dale had quite a bit of insight and was able to bring on hockey guys for competent talk despite the fact that Sportshub owns the Bruins' rights. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
Love 98.5 and am so glad they are forcing a shake-up at WEEI. I listened to them for years and their programing is stale.  Once offered an alternative I chose it and as a male 18-35 they cater their programming to my demographic.

I do think it is an interesting decision to bolster the afternoon show at the expense of what I thought was the only show on WEEI that was significantly better than the alternative programing. I would have loved to been in those staff meetings and heard the rationale for the decision.

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
if anything, i just wish the Sports Hub would focus on the C's a little more. 'EEI doesn't carry Pats games (98.5 does), but they do a good job analyzing them. 98.5 should do something with analyzing the Celtics.

I agree.  It will never happen though on a regular basis.  Play off time, the Celtic talk heats up pretty good.  Around big games like the Lakers it heats up other than that you won't hear it.  To be honest, I'm usually pretty glad there's not a ton of Celtic talk as none of them really know about basketball.  Gresh and Zo are awful with hoop.  D.A. does a good job at night.  His show is probably my favorite on the hub. 
do it

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
It'll be a real war again when WAAF is dissolved for WEEI, which I see happening in the future.

Holley to me is the clear number one from either station, and for him to slotted against Felger and Maz makes for a tough decision for neutral person such as myself. Just as the two papers have and continue to manage, I happen to think both stations can and will survive and do well is this market. Competition is a good thing in my eyes.

If WEEI can't adjust economically to no longer monopolizing the area, it will crumble. I think they'll adjust.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't listen to EEI at all. I listen to T&R from 6-10 the whole show pretty much every day, and on my way home I listen to Felger & Mazz. 

Can't stand Gresh & Zo.

I must say I'm not enthralled with the Celtics talk that goes on at 98.5, it seems like no one really knows what their talking about.  The only time it's good is when they have guests that know about the team.

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I agree.  It will never happen though on a regular basis.  Play off time, the Celtic talk heats up pretty good.  Around big games like the Lakers it heats up other than that you won't hear it.  To be honest, I'm usually pretty glad there's not a ton of Celtic talk as none of them really know about basketball.  Gresh and Zo are awful with hoop.  D.A. does a good job at night.  His show is probably my favorite on the hub. 

Thats a good Point, Planet Mikey is funny and entertaining, but I think D.A. is really knowledgeable.

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'm relieved they stay away from the C's.  I think Toucher and Rich are by far the most knowledgable about the C's on the station...and that is not saying much.  Hearing Felger and Mazz (who I am a big fan of) talk about basketball is painful, and Gresh and Zolak are downright unlistenable (yes, I made that word up) when they are not talking about football. 

If there is one thing I hate more than no basketball talk, it is uninformed basketball talk.  So, I am fine with tuning into WEEI when I want to hear Celtics talk (when there is something relevant going on), and sticking with the Sports Hub for football and baseball (Mazz is the best baseball guy of any full time host).

My only hope now is that Holley really transforms the Big Show into something with some real substance.  Both Holley and Big O can be excellent hosts when they are not doing a schtick, and they can give a real alternative to Felger and Mazz if they can find that middle ground between the (at times) boring Dale and Holley show, and the (always) painfully over the top and mindless Big Show of the last couple of years. 

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Holley and Callahan are the only two personalities on EEI who i've ever cared for.  Holley has the best Celtics insight out of everyone on both EEI and the Hub and Callahan is the most controversial, probably just beating out Felger.  If EEI found a way to put those two together i would actually tune into EEI on occasion.

If you don't like the Toucher and Rich show then you're probably over 40 or without a decent sense of humor.  The two certainly have their issues (Toucher admittidly doesn't care for the NBA and is a Jets fan, Rich is kinda clueless) but they combine to make a hilarious and entertaining morning show while still bringing in quality guests and knowledgable sports talk.

Felger and Mazz will continue to be a terrific show and will only get better with time.

Gresh and Zo are just terrible though.  Gresh belongs on EEI, he think's he's this great boston sports personality but he does nothing for me.  Zo is ok but i see him as more of a fill-in.  I really hope 98.5 scraps this afternoon show because they could do so much better and are willing to take on new local personalities.  They should reach outside the New England Sports tonight personalities and try someone fresh - you can take those types of chances going up against Lou and Mud.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Holley and Callahan are the only two personalities on EEI who i've ever cared for.  Holley has the best Celtics insight out of everyone on both EEI and the Hub and Callahan is the most controversial, probably just beating out Felger.  If EEI found a way to put those two together i would actually tune into EEI on occasion.

If you don't like the Toucher and Rich show then you're probably over 40 or without a decent sense of humor.  The two certainly have their issues (Toucher admittidly doesn't care for the NBA and is a Jets fan, Rich is kinda clueless) but they combine to make a hilarious and entertaining morning show while still bringing in quality guests and knowledgable sports talk.

Felger and Mazz will continue to be a terrific show and will only get better with time.

I agree with a decent amount here.  Toucher and Rich is a very entertaining show.  Their funny clips like Ask a Pink Hat absolutely crack me up.  That said, I still listen to D&C more.  I really can't stand the pompousness of Jerry Callahan, don't care too much for John Dennis either, but somehow they put on a show that definitely keeps me thinking and listening at all times.  I generally listen to NPR 48% of the time in the morning, D&C 48% of the time, the Hub very little.

I think Planet Mikey is the best show out there, haha.  His absurdity is amazing.  His consistency is great too, like how every preseason for every Boston sport, he predicts record-smashing win %'s, will never not mention the word steroids in a sentence that discusses Dwight Howard, will never neglect to mention refs when talking Game 7, etc.  He will defend his strong opinions to the death too, but never in a way that is rude or belittling to others.  He actually admitted to "pulling picks out of his ___" during the NFL season because "at least I'm original and it's better than just picking who everybody else thinks is going to win."

As for primetime, The Big Show hasn't been getting bad lately - it's always been bad.  I'm surprised people listen to Felger and Mazz.  Felger's opinions are often outlandish, but unlike Mikey, he actually firmly believes them and will obnoxiously berate anyone who opposes them.  Tony Mazz is a good writer, but sounds like such a whiney baby on the air.  Radio isn't for him.  I can't stand either show so tune into NPR from 2-6 until Mikey comes on.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Yet another panic move on the part of EEI...so much for the Sports Hub not being a threat.

This may signal the end of EEI being programmed into my radio.  The only show I still listened to was Dale and Holley, and that was only for Holley.  I don't know if he is enough to make me tolerate The Big Show again.

I love Toucher and Rich, but I honestly wouldn't mind if they gave Rich the boot, or moved him to a supporting entertainment-only role.  It's clear Toucher and Wallach can hold down the sports side of things.  Rich is out of his element, and too often he comes across as unknowledgable.  He also tries to play devil's advocate waaaaay too much which gets old really quick.  I haven't listened to D+C in a long time, have they toned down the ultra-rightwing rhetoric at all?

I can't do the Sports Hub during the day though, Gresh is just so intolerable I try hard but can't listen to him.

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
What did Dale and Holley say today? Is anyone listening?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I am, they gave Dale an expanded role in play by play and will be the first option for vacation replacements. He will also do a year round sunday show

He also said he thinks WEEI made the wrong decision, he was just informed of this after the show monday, and that he regretted not accepting NESN's 4 year offer to be the play by play guy of the bruins
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Dale gave like a 10-15 minute talk about the situation and how it isn't the best but this EEI has also given him play by play duties (his first love) where he'll be filling in for Grande on Celtics radiocasts and Dave O'Brien on Sox radiocasts.

Basically said that he's not happy about the situation but the play by play stuff will make it a little more palatable.  He also added that he'll basically be doing his Sunday show year round now rather than just during Patriots season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Possible unintended humor but asking if anyone's listening to a show that's about to be canceled...