Author Topic: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show  (Read 32784 times)

WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
What many might argue is the only tolerable show on WEEI these days (and most Celtic friendly) "Dale & Holley" is getting the axe and getting replaced with Lou Merloni & Mike Mutansky. 

Meanwhile, Michael Holley will be sliding to co-hosting the Big Show with Glenn Ordway (which may make the show more tolerable). 

This was just talked about at the end of today's Big Show and just posted on the Herald website.

WEEI, locked in a hot and heavy ratings throwdown with FM rival 98.5 The Sports Hub, is getting ready to unveil a major shakeup to its daytime lineup.

Sources tell The Track that “The Dale & Holley Show” is being whacked and the two longtime midday talkers Dale Arnold and Michael Holley will be replaced by former Red Sox [team stats] utility man Lou Merloni and weekend ‘EEI host Mike Mutnansky.

Holley will move over to afternoon drive to shore up Glenn Ordway’s “Big Show,” which has lost recent ratings battles to The Sports Hub’s Mike Felger and Tony Massarotti in the key 25-54 male audience. Arnold, reportedly, will be relegated to fill-in duty.

The station will formally announce the changes on-air today.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Holley shouldn't have moved to the Big Awful Show he should have moved to The Sports Hub. I would agree with your assessment... Dale and Holley had the only tolerable show on WEEI.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Holley should have moved to The Sports Hub.

co-signx10!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Holley shouldn't have moved to the Big Awful Show he should have moved to The Sports Hub. I would agree with your assessment... Dale and Holley had the only tolerable show on WEEI.

I agree.  Dale & Holley was the only show I cared listen to.  I only listen to the Big Show when Max is there on Thursdays.    I guess they're hoping Holley saves the Big Show.  Wish they had scrapped D&C instead.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow.  I actually like Merloni. but I'm not sure he's a guy they should be circling the wagons around to revamp the midday.

Holley on the big show is a waste of talent.  Unless they totally change the tone of the show.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Wow, they couldn't have made a worse choice from my personal listiningship. D & H was the only Weei show I still listened to because IMO Gresh and Zoe is the weakest 98.5 show and D & H were awesome.

Guess I'm 98.5 4-life :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
A move to FM should have taken precedent over anything else.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

I agree.  Dale & Holley was the only show I cared listen to.  I only listen to the Big Show when Max is there on Thursdays.    I guess they're hoping Holley saves the Big Show.  Wish they had scrapped D&C instead.
I listen to D&C every week day. Callaghan is as pompous as Ordway, but they actually talk about sports and know what they're talking about. The morning show on the Sports Hub is TERRIBLE. I'd rather listen to the politics/current events on D&C than a couple of disc jockeys talking entertainment news & stupid skits while knowing very little about sports. D&C always has good guests, too, including Tom Brady, Doc, Adam Shefter, Jackie MacMullen, etc...Dale & Holley was okay, but Holley is super passive aggressive  with his callers which actually annoys me more than the frankness of D&C & the guys on The Big Show. I wish Felger was on in the morning--he's brash and pretty much a riot.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Agree.  I bet the ratings in Rhode Island where I live when home from school are much better then the Sports Hubs.

I really liked Dale and Holley this is dissapointing.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Agree.  I bet the ratings in Rhode Island where I live when home from school are much better then the Sports Hubs.

I really liked Dale and Holley this is dissapointing.

We get WEEI on FM here on the Cape.  It's made it much nicer to listen to (audio wise anyhow).
Yup

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

WEEI FM is 103.7
At least here in Boston...

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Sports hub is terrible if its not football or baseball season.  Felger and Mazz are the only good show on the station and they know nothing about the celtics. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So Dale got axed?  Im a big Dale fan, that will be quite sad.  Maybe he was looking to retire anyways
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
Sports hub is terrible if its not football or baseball season.  Felger and Mazz are the only good show on the station and they know nothing about the celtics. 
Felger is not shy about his disdain for NBA basketball. He talks Celtics only if he has to. He's pretty insightful on Patriots talk though.

Dale I'm sure will still do the Football Show on Sundays, and maybe we'll see him on Comcast more. By the way--how and why did Bob Neumeier start hosting on Comcast?

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Felger is not shy about his disdain for NBA basketball. He talks Celtics only if he has to. He's pretty insightful on Patriots talk though.

Dale I'm sure will still do the Football Show on Sundays, and maybe we'll see him on Comcast more. By the way--how and why did Bob Neumeier start hosting on Comcast?

Mazz alone is worth listening to during baseball season.  He is one of the most insightful writers and hosts in the boston area. 

But Now with Ordway, Max and Holly, im not sure how EEI wouldnt be a "must listen" for celtics fans