Author Topic: Roots (Or Where Are You From, Part II)  (Read 10097 times)

Re: Roots (Or Where Are You From, Part II)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i need a flag/icon of tatooine, lol  ;)

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
2nd generation born American. Both sets of my grandparents came over from Italy after WWI.

My grandparents on my mother's side came over in the 1930's already married.

My father's grandfather came over with his family earning the right to come to America by having fought in the war. My great-grandfather had migrated to America trying to get settled and earn enough money to bring the family over. During the war the Italian government offered Italian nationals abroad free passage to America for their entire families if they came back and fought in the war. So he did. He survived and over they came. That's how my grandmother came over.

My grandfather came over as just a baby and was the baby of the family, his parent's already being older. They both died before he was 20. He never talked about his family. All I ever got from my grandmother is that my grandfather's family had to leave Sicily and left it at that.

So my mother's side of the family is from Calabria, Italy and my father's side is from Sicily.

Tracing back the only thing of significance in the family background is that my grandmother on my father's side of the family, the DiMauro's are well known as furniture makers and designers and are so much more well off than I it isn't funny.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm mostly (5/8) Irish-American, which isn't surprising coming from New England, I guess.  I've also got some Scottish (1/4), and a small bit of French-Canadian (1/8, which also isn't shocking, coming from New England).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:48:28 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Heinz 57 here. 

I'm half British Isles (English, Welch, Scotch).  One quarter Italian, fra Potenza e Salerno.  When I lived in Europe I was lucky enough to visit the little town from which my great grandfather emigrated.  One eighth Russian, and one eighth Czech (I think).

Never even thought of myself in ethnic terms at all when growing up; just American (the melting pot worked well back in the day).

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I was born in Nicaragua but I was raised in Costa Rica (Costa Rican citizen now).  I have a lot of American native in my blood. I think a little of black is running in my veins too.

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »

Offline tapper

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
All 4 of my grandparents came from the isle of Madeira.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride
3rd generation Irish-American. That's my family crest over on my left...lived on the green isle for a year too so I feel pretty connected.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I can't figure out how to add the flag, but I'm Croatian.  Good to see a few more Croats on this site, too.
You got a flag now Champ. For you and others here, the place where you choose a flag is located in the Forum Profile Information area of your member profile, just under Birthdate and Location and above Gender. BTW, how are you liking Nashville? I lived most of my adult life there.

Thanks Bob, TP for you.  I actually just left Nashville to take a job in Indianapolis.  I liked my time down there, but I liked Vanderbilt more than the city itself.  Nashville is a cool place, but I like my cities to be a little bit more blue collar (I lived in Pittsburgh before this, so paying more than $2 for a beer was a culture shock for me).  That said, it's a great city for young people, there's a lot to do, and the women are gorgeous. 

And now I'm in Indy...where I have no idea what to think of this city.  It's a mix of nice and weird all at once, and I can't wait for the vitriol to flow in my direction once football season starts. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
my mother was 100% Polish (grandparents came over on a boat) and my dad is a mix of European countries, so I guess I'm 50% Polish if that counts for anything
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
my mother was 100% Polish (grandparents came over on a boat) and my dad is a mix of European countries, so I guess I'm 50% Polish if that counts for anything

:-X

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
My father is from Guangzhou, (interestingly, enough, it's the what Canton, MA is named for) China, and my mother is from Hong Kong (althought my grandmother is also from Guangzhou.)I guess I would consider myself first generation since my parents immigrated to the States in the 1970s. However, my great-great grandfather settled in the U.S. in the 1880s before moving back to China since he could not move his family over due to the Chinese Exclusion Act.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have this really funny joke about being 50% Polish but I guess ethnic jokes in this forum wouldn't go over too well.

It's probably better I'm not allowed to write it, it's only about half as funny as a normal Polish joke. :D

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I know quite a few polish jokes, they amuse me and don't offend me at all.  (Some of them are startlingly true about me)  That said, thank you for refraining from ethnic jokes of any kind as I'm sure different people react in different ways to them.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)