Author Topic: Who got the worse backcourt "value," the Clips or Blazers?  (Read 1205 times)

Who got the worse backcourt "value," the Clips or Blazers?
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Was reading the ESPN piece about the offseason in the west and saw a number that shocked me: Portland paid over a quarter of a billion dollars for their backcourt of McCollum, Crabbe and Turner. That's like Dr Evil sticking 250 fingers in his mouth at the same time. Can't argue (much) with McCollum, but ET at $17m per year? Look, I love me some Turner and will cheer for him when he comes back to play in the Garden, but I just don't see it. As for Allen Crabbe, well, better in Portland than in Brooklyn.

At the same time, though, the Clippers signed Jamal Crawford for $42 million and Austin Rivers for $35m. The numbers aren't nearly as big, but even Crawford is shaking his head in amazement. And almost $12 million per year for Austin Rivers? His greatest accomplishment so far is being named president of the NBA's lucky sperm club.

So with all the money sloshing around, who looks worse, the Clips or the Blazers? My feeling is the Clippers. The Blazers shelled out more money in total, but at least they got some value in the mix.

Mike

Re: Who got the worse backcourt "value," the Clips or Blazers?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Blazers look worse.  LAC has about 3 years of Chris Paul left, so going all in around him makes sense.  Turner and Crabbe will help the Blazers, but they would have been better served using that money elsewhere.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would much rather have the Blazer's rotation.  I would not have paid Turner that much though, you're right.  Still, no one in that rotation do I look down on.  Austin Rivers I do, and Crawford is a guy I can like but not for the money and not really with that roster.

I do not love either one but I think it's worth mentioning for the Blazers that they have a system that seems to get by on just decent bigs.  I think they only have so much success with that system but I will give them that loading salary in their backcourt seems by design.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Clippers are more a now team.
Blazers are stretched out.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I would much rather have the Blazer's rotation.  I would not have paid Turner that much though, you're right.  Still, no one in that rotation do I look down on.  Austin Rivers I do, and Crawford is a guy I can like but not for the money and not really with that roster.

I do not love either one but I think it's worth mentioning for the Blazers that they have a system that seems to get by on just decent bigs.  I think they only have so much success with that system but I will give them that loading salary in their backcourt seems by design.
Rivers and Crabbe were pretty similar players last year. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Austin+Rivers&player_id1_select=Austin+Rivers&y1=2016&player_id1=riverau01&hint=Allen+Crabbe&player_id2_select=Allen+Crabbe&y2=2016&player_id2=crabbal01
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip