Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 602313 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2505 on: August 19, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535
On a side note, Deflagate and the C's "Summer of attaining Reasonably Talented Assets (SORTA)", is getting me sky-high in anticipation of my favorite sports time of year -- Basketball-Football season. 

I absolutely can't wait!

« Reply #2506 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
On a side note, Deflagate and the C's "Summer of attaining Reasonably Talented Assets (SORTA)", is getting me sky-high in anticipation of my favorite sports time of year -- Basketball-Football season. 

I absolutely can't wait!

No doubt. And I'll go one step further and say I love it when basketball, football, and the MLB playoffs are going concurrently.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2507 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's interesting to think that the NFL filed to have this case heard in New York court because they expected a more sympathetic judge. If Berman is a more sympathetic judge, I am curious what would have happened if the case was in Minnesota (where the player's union wanted it).
Don't forget that any decision has to survive on appeal. The NFL has won in the Second Circuit before, I believe.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2508 on: August 19, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Bill Simmons just had two retweets up where different people were saying the rumors about Brady accepting a settlement are categorically false.  It sounds like the league is leaking again....

« Reply #2509 on: August 19, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Summer of Reasonably Talented Acquisitions just fits the acronym a little better :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2510 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535
Summer of Reasonably Talented Acquisitions just fits the acronym a little better :P

Uhhh -- I was so close, but have to agree yours is better!  I took acronymist-license with the lower-case 'a' in attaining.  But you've went and done it better. 

I am excited about the year nonetheless -- hoping that SORTA is just the beginning.

« Reply #2511 on: August 19, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
It's interesting to think that the NFL filed to have this case heard in New York court because they expected a more sympathetic judge. If Berman is a more sympathetic judge, I am curious what would have happened if the case was in Minnesota (where the player's union wanted it).
Don't forget that any decision has to survive on appeal. The NFL has won in the Second Circuit before, I believe.

I don't think Brady is worried about it surviving an appeal.  I think I heard appeals were running two years in that circuit.  And then at worst, they'd send it back to Berman who could side with Brady on another issue.  But that is so far away, I doubt the NFL actually keeps it in the news that long.  Apparently there are owners who are upset this is dragging into this season, I can't imagine there would be a ton of support for it two seasons from now.

More than likely though, IF Berman sides with Brady and vacates the suspension, he'd do so on several issues saying each issues is enough to decide in Brady's favor.  Then an appeals court would have to reject him on each issue which would be unlikely.

Berman has already show he has picked the Well's report apart with his questioning of the Well's report not mentioning Brady was "generally aware" ON the day of the game.  The NFL just said, we thought it was obvious to which Berman just shook his head. 

That doesn't seem like a judge trying to nudge the NFL to a deal to me, that looks like a Judge who is fully invested in this case and already made up his mind.  The fact that he was shaking his head "yes" which Kessler was talking and peppering Nash with questions makes me think he has already made up his mind.

I don't know this judge though so... never know.

The Boston Herald headline when Brady wins. "Teflon Tom"
« Reply #2512 on: August 20, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wouldn't that be hilarious. Nothing sticks to TeFlon Tommy Brady. Than he can make another 100 million off Teflon pans. Herald you can use my title but just give credit to Celtics Blog.
 So glad the judge agrees with rationale human beings.

« Reply #2513 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill Simmons just had two retweets up where different people were saying the rumors about Brady accepting a settlement are categorically false.  It sounds like the league is leaking again....

What's the incentive for the NFL to leak that, though?  The Judge has strongly urged settlement.  The NFL has no incentive to look like it's the one not bending.

I anything, I buy the original report that Brady would take two games.  The NFL may not want to settle due to precedent reasons (i.e., it doesn't want to encourage players to go to Federal Court, and may be better in the long run with a favorable decision from the 2nd Circuit), but I don't think they gain anything by falsely leaking that Brady is being the more reasonable party.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2514 on: August 20, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I anything, I buy the original report that Brady would take two games.

I think this will be the compromise, too.

« Reply #2515 on: August 20, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What's the incentive for the NFL to leak that, though?  The Judge has strongly urged settlement.  The NFL has no incentive to look like it's the one not bending.

Perhaps the NFL might hope that there would be calls from the Boston-area media for Brady to just accept the reduced suspension as "what's best for the team." 

If it's out there that Brady has the chance to only sit out one or two games without having to admit to cheating, it could make Brady look selfish to continue to stand on his demand that the suspension be wiped out entirely.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2516 on: August 20, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I think that would have been the compromise 4 months ago (I think that was what I called, actually). Not so sure about it today.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2517 on: August 20, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1622
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think that would have been the compromise 4 months ago (I think that was what I called, actually). Not so sure about it today.

I don't think there is a shot in hell that Brady's reps agree to that sort of compromise as things stand at the moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2518 on: August 20, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Precisely.

Nice to see Richard Sherman saying nice things about it, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2519 on: August 20, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I've been in cases where the judge has made every ruling against my side, significantly questioned and hammered my side far more than the other side, etc. only to then have the judge rule in my client's favor.  Makes an appeal almost impossible if you give the side you will ultimately rule against everything they want.  In this case, it also seems that the NFL's settlement position is the more unreasonable position (i.e. requiring Brady to acknowledge the Wells Report and essentially admit guilt) and thus that is the side I would be hammering on if I wanted to force a settlement.  That is basically law 101 for mediators, arbitrators, judges, etc.  It doesn't mean he won't rule against the NFL, I just wouldn't stake any significant dollars on it.  Outward appearances are often deceiving from judges.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip