Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 605091 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »

Offline EWP43

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Everyone is doing it.

http://goo.gl/E953g7

« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And out goes that theory:

According to an NFL source with direct knowledge of the situation, referee Walt Anderson inspected all 24 of the Patriots? footballs with a pressure gauge supplied by the league, as well as all 24 footballs from the Colts. All 48 footballs were found to be within the allowable range of 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/23/report-patriots-footballs-passed-pre-game-inspection-by-officials-deflategate/
Also of note from this article:

Once the footballs were approved for game use, they remained in the locker room until about 10 minutes prior to kickoff, at which point the officials handed the footballs to the ballboys on each team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I stand corrected. According to NFL site, the PSI levels were tested before the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/source-footballs-were-properly-checked-before-colts-patriots-game/

« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2015, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The NFL's statement on this:

While the evidence thus far supports the conclusion that footballs that were under-inflated were used by the Patriots in the first half, the footballs were properly inflated for the second half and confirmed at the conclusion of the game to have remained properly inflated. The goals of the investigation will be to determine the explanation for why footballs used in the game were not in compliance with the playing rules and specifically whether any noncompliance was the result of deliberate action. We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4776987/nfls-statement-on-patriots-investigation
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The fun continues:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/23/nfl-issues-statement-on-deflategate-investigation/

So they've interviewed 40 people and neither of them was named Tom Brady. Can't say I'm impressed.

I was, however, hoping to see more about the specific levels of (under)inflation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:26:30 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #515 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Finally the NFL speaks and not just in a whisper to ESPN.

« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The fun continues:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/23/nfl-issues-statement-on-deflategate-investigation/

So they've interviewed 40 people and neither of them was named Tom Brady. Can't say I'm impressed.

I was, however, hoping to see more about the specific levels of (under)inflation.

The best part is in the comments, where someone does the math.

What does it say about the collective iq of the American public, spending two weeks threshing over what could be explained with 5 minutes of arithmetic?

P = nRT/V
 The change in pressure is thus proportional to the change in temperature,
 The 75 degree locker room has an absolute temperature of 297o K
 The 40 degree playing field has an absolute temperature of 283o K
The change in temperature of 14o K will thus cause a drop in pressure of 14/297 = 4.7%.
 To translate this into a pressure change we must recall that football pressure is measured in gauge pressure, relative to the atmospheric pressure of 15 psi. So the absolute pressure within a football pumped to 13 psi is 13 +15 = 28psi absolute. The 4.7% drop applied to the absolute pressure gives a drop of 1.32 psi. Thus, the pressure within the football at game time will be only 13 -1.32 = 11.68 psi and thus well below regulation gauge pressure of 12.5-13.5psi. If they were just at 12.5psi to start they would be down by 1.3psi to 11.2psi by game time. And of course, a little pressure is lost every time you stick a needle in to check the pressure. Some guy on TV did this calculation but I think he forgot about absolute pressure vs gauge pressure and underestimated it.
 It thus seems highly likely that the Patriots equipment manager checked all 12 balls in a warm locker room and they lost pressure merely by cooling off on the field. In addition, the cold rain would have accelerated the heat transfer out of the balls. Finally, if the indoor inflation air was very humid, there would be an additional loss of pressure due to water vapor condensation on the inside of the bladder as the temperature of the football dropped.

« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Finally the NFL speaks and not just in a whisper to ESPN.

Well, the NFL speaks, but doesn't say much.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The fun continues:

What does it say about the collective iq of the American public, spending two weeks threshing over what could be explained with 5 minutes of arithmetic?

P = nRT/V
The change in temperature of 14o K will thus cause a drop in pressure of 14/297 = 4.7%.
 To translate this into a pressure change we must recall that football pressure is measured in gauge pressure, relative to the atmospheric pressure of 15 psi. So the absolute pressure within a football pumped to 13 psi is 13 +15 = 28psi absolute. The 4.7% drop applied to the absolute pressure gives a drop of 1.32 psi. Thus, the pressure within the football at game time will be only 13 -1.32 = 11.68 psi and thus well below regulation gauge pressure of 12.5-13.5psi. If they were just at 12.5psi to start they would be down by 1.3psi to 11.2psi by game time. And of course, a little pressure is lost every time you stick a needle in to check the pressure. Some guy on TV did this calculation but I think he forgot about absolute pressure vs gauge pressure and underestimated it.
 It thus seems highly likely that the Patriots equipment manager checked all 12 balls in a warm locker room and they lost pressure merely by cooling off on the field. In addition, the cold rain would have accelerated the heat transfer out of the balls. Finally, if the indoor inflation air was very humid, there would be an additional loss of pressure due to water vapor condensation on the inside of the bladder as the temperature of the football dropped.

Yes, but you need to add that while the Pats balls might have been at 12.5 initially, the Colts balls were likely at 13.5 initially. That way you can account for the Colts balls dropping in pressure but still remaining in the appropriate range.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'm still in shock over the fact that the five days from Sunday to Friday somehow constitutes two weeks.  Looks like we can't count, either! ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The fun continues:

P = nRT/V
It says that everyone needs to go back to middle school? In addition to measuring temperature measured in Kelvins, pressure is measured in Pascals (which makes a difference when you're trying to equalize on percentage growth). Adjusting the calculations accordingly will make for a 1.75 PSI drop in the calculation cited in the forums.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:43:31 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Kraft's statement on NFL
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4776995/robert-kraft-statement-on-investigation

note the "during the three days they were here." I find it odd that the NFL interviewed 40 people, was actually at the Patriots facility for three days, but now is gone, and haven't contacted Tom Brady.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kraft's statement on NFL
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4776995/robert-kraft-statement-on-investigation

note the "during the three days they were here." I find it odd that the NFL interviewed 40 people, was actually at the Patriots facility for three days, but now is gone, and haven't contacted Tom Brady.

It baffles my mind that they wouldn't interview Brady. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #523 on: January 23, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

According to an NFL source with direct knowledge of the situation, referee Walt Anderson inspected all 24 of the Patriots? footballs with a pressure gauge supplied by the league, as well as all 24 footballs from the Colts. All 48 footballs were found to be within the allowable range of 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/23/report-patriots-footballs-passed-pre-game-inspection-by-officials-deflategate/

How about this: Can anyone verify that Walt Anderson is telling the truth? I'm not saying he's lying, but did anyone witness him testing the balls? Maybe he messed up and is now lying to cover up his mistake.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

How about this: Can anyone verify that Walt Anderson is telling the truth? I'm not saying he's lying, but did anyone witness him testing the balls? Maybe he messed up and is now lying to cover up his mistake.

Lol.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/