Author Topic: G-League / Red Claws Season Thread 2019-2020  (Read 71450 times)

Re: G-League / Red Claws Season Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Our beloved Lobs lost a close one last night, 102-101 against some other team.

As far as our baby Celtics, only Waters and Poirier saw any action. Carsen and Fall were on the roster, but did not play.

Waters
38 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds, 6 turnovers, and 8 assists. He stunk up the place with his shooting, 2-11 and 1-7 on 3 pointers Perhaps being sent back down to Maine did not sit well with him?

Poirier
34 minutes, 18 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 steals. A nice Tacko imitation, but Poirier made all 3 of his free throws.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the updates hwangjini - I don't think most of us would even have a clue what is going on with our youngsters otherwise.

I'm a bit concerned about Waters as of late. He seemed to come in to the year tearing up the joint, but his last few contests in the GL and big club have been super-cringe. I'd like to think it is just a rough stretch, but he may not be the solution to our back-up PG need next season, after all. Hopefully he can turn it around.

« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
The lovely Lobs continue their losing ways, today by a score of 120 to 112.

The baby Celtics were of course in action, with varying degrees of success.

Fall
25 minutes, 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 blocks! He also had 5 fouls. He shot 7-7 from the field and 2-5 in free throws.

Waters
23 minutes, 5 points, 1rebound, and 6 assists. He shooting continues to be non-yummy, 2-7 and 1-4 from 3 point area.

Edwards
29 minutes, 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists. His shooting was really awful: 3-14 and 0-8 from 3 point range. His summer league third quarter may have been a mirage.

Poirier
17 minutes, 15 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks. A nice, Tacko-worthy line. He shot 6-10 and 1-1 FT.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The lovely Lobs continue their losing ways, today by a score of 120 to 112.

The baby Celtics were of course in action, with varying degrees of success.

Fall
25 minutes, 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 blocks! He also had 5 fouls. He shot 7-7 from the field and 2-5 in free throws.

Waters
23 minutes, 5 points, 1rebound, and 6 assists. He shooting continues to be non-yummy, 2-7 and 1-4 from 3 point area.

Carsen
29 minutes, 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists. His shooting was really awful: 3-14 and 0-8 from 3 point range. His summer league third quarter may have been a mirage.

Poirier
17 minutes, 15 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks. A nice, Tacko-worthy line. He shot 6-10 and 1-1 FT.

I really hope Edwards can start hitting some shots. He looks rushed. He needs to work on his game this summer.

« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Danny needs to restructure the roster this summer into a more win-now group. Some of these young guys will just have to go.

« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2020, 07:52:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
the gleague home page has a video of Tacko's recent game with 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 blocks. it is worth watching.

many of his blocks are to his teammates. he doesnt just swat it into the 5th row of fans.

next, the other team's strategy against him was to immediately foul him when he got the ball down low. time and time again he put the ball up while being fouled and scored.

maybe, perhaps, mayhaps Tacko might have some sort of future in the NBA.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2020, 02:44:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
the gleague home page has a video of Tacko's recent game with 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 blocks. it is worth watching.

many of his blocks are to his teammates. he doesnt just swat it into the 5th row of fans.

next, the other team's strategy against him was to immediately foul him when he got the ball down low. time and time again he put the ball up while being fouled and scored.

I think Tacko Fall definitely has some future in the NBA. He is way more mobile than people give him credit for, and he's able to use his length well enough to deter shots.

I do think he'll be successful as the 3rd/2nd big off the bench. Once he develops the ability to pass out of the high post, and make better reads on defense, I can see him getting 4-5 occasional minutes with us. Then if he can have somewhat of a mid range/post up game, maybe he'll be backing up Robert Williams.  :P :P ;D
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I watched this game live, since NBC Sports Boston broadcast it and the highlights actually sort of undersell how much Tacko's game has improved.   I watched a ton of Red Claws games earlier in the season but haven't seen a game since early January.   So the changes in his game really jumped out to me.   Especially in his body language.

He's way more confident and assertive, both on offense and defense.   Earlier, he was always playing with that "Geeze, I'm so freaking grateful to even be playing!" attitude.   Now, he looks aggressive and determined and believing he should be winning each play.    And he's getting SO much quicker to move on from the plays that didn't work!

I thought that both Tacko and Vincent both played extremely well in this game.  Unfortunately, as a team, the Red Claws turned the ball over at an insane rate and gave the game away to what is fundamentally a much worse team.   The differential in points-off-turnovers was ridiculous, something like -25 points or so.   You can't do that and expect to win against even a crappy team.

In the post-game, Tacko was being lauded by the interviewers for having played well but he was having none of it.  He was clearly upset and agitated over losing.   It was great to see that maturation in his 'basketball psyche'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I watched this game live, since NBC Sports Boston broadcast it and the highlights actually sort of undersell how much Tacko's game has improved.   I watched a ton of Red Claws games earlier in the season but haven't seen a game since early January.   So the changes in his game really jumped out to me.   Especially in his body language.

He's way more confident and assertive, both on offense and defense.   Earlier, he was always playing with that "Geeze, I'm so freaking grateful to even be playing!" attitude.   Now, he looks aggressive and determined and believing he should be winning each play.    And he's getting SO much quicker to move on from the plays that didn't work!

I thought that both Tacko and Vincent both played extremely well in this game.  Unfortunately, as a team, the Red Claws turned the ball over at an insane rate and gave the game away to what is fundamentally a much worse team.   The differential in points-off-turnovers was ridiculous, something like -25 points or so.   You can't do that and expect to win against even a crappy team.

In the post-game, Tacko was being lauded by the interviewers for having played well but he was having none of it.  He was clearly upset and agitated over losing.   It was great to see that maturation in his 'basketball psyche'.

TP to both for the useful information.

Just curious from both of your opinions, what steps/improvements does Tacko need to take in order for him to see viable backup minutes? I liked what I've seen so far, but I'm always wary of D-League accomplishments.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

TP to both for the useful information.

Just curious from both of your opinions, what steps/improvements does Tacko need to take in order for him to see viable backup minutes? I liked what I've seen so far, but I'm always wary of D-League accomplishments.

I think he just needs to continue to get lots of minutes and to work on, well, everything.  Just get a little bit better at everything.   He doesn't need to be elite at everything.  Just better.   To succeed in the NBA you need to be (a) great at something and (b) not terrible at most everything else.

He obviously has elite 'height' and associated skills (finishing dunks/layups, blocks, shot-contention, rebounding, etc.).  So he's got (a) mostly covered.   

But he's got to get more and more polished at (b) all the little things that round out a game.  From tightening up his handle (because even a big man like Tacko has to put the ball on the floor once or twice a game) to reading when to pass a little quicker to reacting on defense a little quicker to making his free throws and short jumpers and hooks just slightly better to not getting called for fouls quite as much and so on.    He has to get to the point where the weaker parts of his game aren't making him a negative on the floor so that his strengths can shine.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2020, 12:25:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder if the Tacko phenomenon of chanting Tacko's name when he is sitting on the bench, taking away from the players on the floor, possibly distracting them, and embarrassing Tacko will be a factor on whether Tacko gets a contract. If he is only good enough for a 15th spot next year, is that distraction worth having in the 4th quarter of every home game?

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I wonder if the Tacko phenomenon of chanting Tacko's name when he is sitting on the bench, taking away from the players on the floor, possibly distracting them, and embarrassing Tacko will be a factor on whether Tacko gets a contract. If he is only good enough for a 15th spot next year, is that distraction worth having in the 4th quarter of every home game?

Is that really a big problem, though?

It's not as if they have been chanting for him during close games.   And I think his teammates seem to like it.  Eventually, the novelty of it will likely wear off anyway and the chanting will probably subside.   

I just don't think this (the Tacko chants) is likely to be much of a consideration by Danny when it comes to making a decision on whether to sign Tacko past this season.   I expect the main consideration will be (as it should be) whether they project Tacko to be a player who can provide on-court value to the franchise in excess of his cost.

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's not as if they have been chanting for him during close games.   And I think his teammates seem to like it.  Eventually, the novelty of it will likely wear off anyway and the chanting will probably subside.   

I just don't think this (the Tacko chants) is likely to be much of a consideration by Danny when it comes to making a decision on whether to sign Tacko past this season.   I expect the main consideration will be (as it should be) whether they project Tacko to be a player who can provide on-court value to the franchise in excess of his cost.
You completely ignored the fact I said, if he is only good enough to be a 15th spot on the roster. If Ainge only sees him as a 15th spot on the roster player, is it worth it?

And you are wrong. They have chanted on a  few occasions for Tacko in close games. And the last time they did it, it appeared to bother Tacko. If the novelty does not wear off, is it really smart to have this distraction for a 15th player on the roster quality type player.

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

You completely ignored the fact I said, if he is only good enough to be a 15th spot on the roster. If Ainge only sees him as a 15th spot on the roster player, is it worth it?

And you are wrong. They have chanted on a  few occasions for Tacko in close games. And the last time they did it, it appeared to bother Tacko. If the novelty does not wear off, is it really smart to have this distraction for a 15th player on the roster quality type player.

Okay - that's a fair qualifier for your question.   

I think that IF he's projected to be only ever as good as the 15th player on a roster over the length of his next contract then no, he is not going to be signed.   And I still don't think the chants would have anything to do with Danny's decision on that.    I think that a next contract will have to be with the expectation that he's going to have the potential to be at least 3rd string depth at Center.   Otherwise, it probably would make more sense to use that roster spot on a younger player.

Personally, I don't think your qualifier is likely to be the case.   I don't think that by the end of this year that they will project him to only ever be "a 15th spot on the roster".   But that's just my opinion from watching him from a fan's limited perspective.   Danny & his staff will have their own assessment and I'm totally cool if they disagree with mine.

I would add also that you can't make this decision based on "if the novelty does not wear off" since that condition most likely would only ever be testable long after one has made the decision.

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
If you like, watch the condensed game Duke VS UCF in the NCAA's.

Tacko played a terrific game at both ends against Zion etc. He won the tip off and that was 33 straight for him. He fouled out with a couple of minutes to go.

I suppose, Tacko will never be a "dominant big" in the NBA, BUT, he will always be physically dominant forcing opponents to adjust their game around his size.

When he started in Maine this winter, he really wasn't much.

As MMMM stated earlier, of late Tacko has been much more engaged at both ends up in Maine. He is more focused when he has the ball and his movements and positioning indicate he's taking coaching.

If you're 7'5" 310 pounds? You are living in another reality. Tacko was annoyed the other night and you could see it.