Author Topic: Would/Should the Red Sox sign Barry Bonds??  (Read 3425 times)

Would/Should the Red Sox sign Barry Bonds??
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
With Big Papi hurt and possibly done for the season the red sox might have to look into finding a replacement for DH. I know they said he's out for at least a month, but on sportscenter big Papi said he hurt his wrist before and it took him a full year to get his power back. Barry Bonds is a great hitter no matter how much of a scum bag he is. I am wondering if Red Sox fans would welcome him to Beantown if Ortiz is gone for the year???

I say no because he is too much of a distraction and is just not a very good person in general from everything I've heard

What other guys might become available to fill in as DH?

Re: Would/Should the Red Sox sign Barry Bonds??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting idea.  My gut reaction is "no way in hell", but I need to think on it some more.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
This team has so many good hitters it doesn't need anybody else.  Bonds is a cancer.  Absolutely not.  Gets Manny some rest DHing.  Getting Casey some games keeps him sharp.  Alternate Youk, Lowell, and Manny DHing.

The only player who really suffers in the lineup with Ortiz out is Manny.  He won't suffer long.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I wouldn't totally rule out Bonds, but would prefer Dunn/KGJ.

Will be interesting to see how the newly-promoted Chris Carter does as well... he's teared up AAA as of late.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:27:40 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
absolutely sign Bonds

Casey is a nice player but to compete for a world series ring we need another bat in the middle, especially a left handed bat and Bonds may be a deplorable human being but he still can get it done and will be almost the same bat as Ortiz

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm not a huge baseball guy, but to me it seems like it would depend on the terms by which Bonds were to join the team. Everyone presumes that you'd be getting the primadonna that existed in SF all those years. It's probably a fair presumption. But if there was a way to bring him on board on Boston's terms instead of Bonds's terms, then it would seem like it could make sense.

Everything I've understood is that his ability to hit baseballs really far is still intact. That's what Boston wants. If he added a little humility and a sense of "team" to his MO, then maybe a change of scenery would work. But, like most everyone, I'd be very skeptical that this could really happen.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:02:37 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Interesting, this is one of the first things I thought of when I saw that Papi was going to be laid up.  I also do not think we should do it.  He is such a pompous you know what.  He's the Phil Jackson of the MLB in my opinion, just minus the rings. 

Most people are saying it will only be a few weeks to a month before Big Papi is back.  I think it is great to have Manny DHing, he can focus on his hitting and his shortcomings that he can have from time to time in the outfield will be gone (although this is really gonna hurt his Gold Glove campaign).  I love the speed and versatility that a Drew, Coco, Ellsbury outfield gives us. 

As far is filling in the 3 hole, Youk is so good at hitting anywhere in the lineup.  He is slumping right now but I think sticking him in there will plug the hole until Papi hopefully comes back.

If come July he is not ready to go I would also love to see us get Dunn.   I know the Reds are saying they aren't trading Griffey, and I know he's old and injury prone, but I still think seeing him in a Sox uni would be the coolest thing, he is my favorite player of all time. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd rather see the return of Brian Daubach
Yup

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Interesting idea.  My gut reaction is "no way in hell", but I need to think on it some more.

I'm with you here. Even though I've always been a huge Barry Bonds fan, and I'm one of those that could really care less about the steroids thing in baseball in general, I don't like the negativity from the media and the circus he'd bring with him, so I'd say no. But from a purely baseball perspective, I wouldn't think twice about it.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:38 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Major mixed emotions on this one .... ethically and personally, no way, but skills/contribution-wise ... it's awfully tempting! I'd probably vote no, and then keep thinking: "But just imagine ... ".
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *