Author Topic: Celtics (5-1) at Hornets (4-3) Game #7 11/7/19  (Read 33195 times)

Re: Celtics (5-1) at Hornets (4-3) Game #7 11/7/19
« Reply #480 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
lol bench Jaylen.

The game doesn't work as he describes it. There was never a time when one of our stars wasn't on the floor except in garbage time. There is no "2nd unit".

You don't take a guy who just got a massive contract and is playing well and bring him off the bench. He deserves better than that, which is why it won't happen.

Putting Jaylen with the 2nd unit is not a demotion.

Remember Kevin McHale and the 6th man of the year awards he won?

The point of putting Jaylen with the 2nd unit is to give the Celts more firepower off the bench and it will allow Jaylen to score more points.

With the starters, Jaylen will just be the 4th option.
If he's with the 2nd unit, he's the #1 option.

Good for the Celts and good for Brown.

« Reply #481 on: November 07, 2019, 11:11:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
long as Gordon keeps producing the whole game at this rate his starting position is locked in .  He is doing everything but carrying the water bucket

« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:14 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
lol bench Jaylen.

The game doesn't work as he describes it. There was never a time when one of our stars wasn't on the floor except in garbage time. There is no "2nd unit".

You don't take a guy who just got a massive contract and is playing well and bring him off the bench. He deserves better than that, which is why it won't happen.

The point of putting Jaylen with the 2nd unit is to give the Celts more firepower off the bench and it will allow Jaylen to score more points.

Again here are ways substitution wise for the C's to start Jaylen and still have him play a lot of bench minutes if they want. he  had nine shots after not playing for eleven days. he had 20 vs Toronto and 14 vs NYK the preceding two games. Its something to monitor but not really a problem right now.

Also if you wnat Jaylen to play big minutes coming off the bench is tough Lets assume you sub him in with 6:00 minutes to go in the first. there are now 42 minutes of game time left. So if the C's need him to play high thirties (and they will against good teams) they would be asking him to play like 38 of the last 42 minutes. Thats a hard ask.

Theres a reason the best players start.

« Reply #483 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
lol bench Jaylen.

There is no such thing as a 2nd unit. No matter how many times you say it. Multiple starters are usually on the floor the whole game.

McHale started more than he came off the bench, and was a full time starter after Cornbread left. Plus, that was a different world. Brown isn't going to be coming off the bench. Please stop posting the same things over and over.

« Reply #484 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
lol bench Jaylen.

You should spend more time reading people's responses before blindly going into your preconceived talking points.

ETN spoke the truth in saying that no less than two stars were on the court at all times, except in garbage time. With a rotation set where two, at least, of Brown, Walker, Tatum and Hayward are always on the court, there is no 2nd unit and there should be plenty of firepower on the court.

This game showed that Stevens, with a more healthy team, is going to have 2 of their stars, always on the court and usually two to three guys will get most of the action and one won't. And who that one is will be different most nights. As long as they all play well, they will all get shots on the regular.

« Reply #485 on: November 07, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Poirier knows how the play the game and he is really big. Every European big man needs time to adjust to the NBA. It's different in play style and athleticism. I think Poirier has the tools.

Agreed. All new players get worked in the NBA. First by NBA players and 2nd by NBA refs. He looks like a player to me.

The problem is Poirier is not a new player.

Orlando gave him a shot in 2016.
He didn't stick.

Poirier just lacks the talent to be an NBA player.

The other 3 Celtic big men, Kanter, RWill, and Theis, bring something different to the table.

Poirier is just big and athletic.

Poirier played in summer league. Not the same thing. Theis also played in summer league for the Wizards (i think) several years before he signed in Boston.

Right now Brad is not playing Poirier on a regular basis.
Even with Kanter out, Brad prefers playing GWill at Center.
That says a lot about Brad's assessment of Poirier.
There's no doubt that if Poirier is good in practice, he will get playing time.
But that's not the case.

I think by December we will know for sure.

Right now I just don't see anything special from Poirier.

I see six hard fouls.

« Reply #486 on: November 07, 2019, 11:23:40 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Poirier knows how the play the game and he is really big. Every European big man needs time to adjust to the NBA. It's different in play style and athleticism. I think Poirier has the tools.

Agreed. All new players get worked in the NBA. First by NBA players and 2nd by NBA refs. He looks like a player to me.

He didn't stick.

The other 3 Celtic big men, Kanter, RWill, and Theis, bring something different to the table.

Poirier played in summer league. Not the same thing. Theis also played in summer league for the Wizards (i think) several years before he signed in Boston.

But that's not the case.

I see six hard fouls.
He's very tentative. He was much more active and looked quicker in Euroleague. I think the biggest thing for him is he's intimidated by the athleticism.

« Reply #487 on: November 07, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He didn't stick.

But that's not the case.

I see six hard fouls.
He's very tentative. He was much more active and looked quicker in Euroleague. I think the biggest thing for him is he's intimidated by the athleticism.

he is a running big..... he should be on the court with the running team.

« Reply #488 on: November 07, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He didn't stick.

But that's not the case.

I see six hard fouls.

he is a running big..... he should be on the court with the running team.

He is a rim running big. The end of the bench team he's playing with doesn't run. He has to play tougher,

« Reply #489 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
lol bench Jaylen.

You should spend more time reading people's responses before blindly going into your preconceived talking points.

ETN spoke the truth in saying that no less than two stars were on the court at all times, except in garbage time. With a rotation set where two, at least, of Brown, Walker, Tatum and Hayward are always on the court, there is no 2nd unit and there should be plenty of firepower on the court.

This game showed that Stevens, with a more healthy team, is going to have 2 of their stars, always on the court and usually two to three guys will get most of the action and one won't. And who that one is will be different most nights. As long as they all play well, they will all get shots on the regular.

Like I said, if you guys need more time then let's see a few more games from Jaylen with the starters.

Just because you don't like what I'm saying it doesn't mean it's "going blindly".

Jaylen played well in this game and yet he only got 9 shot attempts.

Same thing happened when I said Celts will only re-sign Brown if he doesn't insist on a max contract.

There was no issue with Brown in this game.
He got 32 minutes.
So why only 9 shot attempts?

Was Brown spending more time with Kemba, Tatum, and Hayward?

Or was Brown spending more time with Wanamaker, GWill, and RWill?

I think Brown would easily get more shot attempts if he spends more time with the non-starters.

« Reply #490 on: November 07, 2019, 11:45:02 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Celtics are somehow a 'quiet' 6-1.  The media said absolutely nothing after this Celtics team beat the Bucks.

Coming up we have a bit tougher schedule with Spurs, Mavericks, Wizards, and Warriors.  If the Celtics can go 3-1 through that stretch, I'd say this team is for real and the media better not fall asleep at the switch.

« Reply #491 on: November 07, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Celtics are somehow a 'quiet' 6-1.  The media said absolutely nothing after this Celtics team beat the Bucks.

Coming up we have a bit tougher schedule with Spurs, Mavericks, Wizards, and Warriors.  If the Celtics can go 3-1 through that stretch, I'd say this team is for real and the media better not fall asleep at the switch.

I think that's a good thing.

Last season there was a lot of hype about the Celts and the Celts ended up being a disappointment.

« Reply #492 on: November 07, 2019, 11:53:53 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Spurs scare me. Aldridge always has his way with us, and Pop is the one coach who has constantly gave Stevens trouble.

« Reply #493 on: November 08, 2019, 12:07:52 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Spurs scare me. Aldridge always has his way with us, and Pop is the one coach who has constantly gave Stevens trouble.
He had a monster game tonight, too.

« Reply #494 on: November 08, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The Spurs and Mavs are certainly tough, the Wizard and Warriors should be layups.