Author Topic: Celtics (5-1) at Hornets (4-3) Game #7 11/7/19  (Read 33182 times)

Re: Celtics (5-1) at Hornets (4-3) Game #7 11/7/19
« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Poirier knows how the play the game and he is really big. Every European big man needs time to adjust to the NBA. It's different in play style and athleticism. I think Poirier has the tools.

Agreed. All new players get worked in the NBA. First by NBA players and 2nd by NBA refs. He looks like a player to me.

Yeah. We’re having fun with him tonight, but hard to say what he’s got. Sometimes guys look slow because they’re figuring the game out and when it clicks they look like they belong.

« Reply #466 on: November 07, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
I think right now it's very clear that the problem was Kyrie.

Last season Brad's coaching was questioned because the Celts underachieved.

It was a case of Brad and Kyrie fighting for who runs the offense.

Now that it's Brad's team again, Celts are thriving.

Well said, sir.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Poirier knows how the play the game and he is really big. Every European big man needs time to adjust to the NBA. It's different in play style and athleticism. I think Poirier has the tools.

Agreed. All new players get worked in the NBA. First by NBA players and 2nd by NBA refs. He looks like a player to me.

The problem is Poirier is not a new player.

Orlando gave him a shot in 2016.
He didn't stick.

Poirier just lacks the talent to be an NBA player.

The other 3 Celtic big men, Kanter, RWill, and Theis, bring something different to the table.

Poirier is just big and athletic.

« Reply #468 on: November 07, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Somebody said it a long time ago: if you give the minutes Wanamaker and Semi were taking to Jaylen Brown, we are a whole lot better.
I am a huge Jaylen Brown fan after all 8)

I think it's best for Jaylen to come off the bench.

In this game, Brown only had 12 points even though he had the most minutes at 32.
Brown also only had 9 shot attempts.

With Hayward handling the ball a lot and Kemba and Tatum shooting a lot.
There's very little left for Jaylen.

I think Jaylen will get more shots with the 2nd unit and he will give the Celtic bench more firepower.
I disagree. His impact as a starter is still very good-he provided the starting lineup a dribble drive threat that opened up a lot of looks for Walker/Hayward/Tatum. If anything Hayward (not talking about benching him) should be the guy buoying our second unit-his playmaking can ensure that our bench offense will at least be passable. Jaylen has improved in playmaking and ballhandling, but he's still more of a self creator rn.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Nice win! CHA is sneaky good so far this season and we handled them on their home floor. Great night for TPs!!  ;D

I feel like more game thread TP's have been handed out already this season than all of last year.
And one more.   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think right now it's very clear that the problem was Kyrie.

Last season Brad's coaching was questioned because the Celts underachieved.

It was a case of Brad and Kyrie fighting for who runs the offense.

Now that it's Brad's team again, Celts are thriving.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh .... you are making too much sense.

« Reply #471 on: November 07, 2019, 10:56:58 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He didn't stick.

The other 3 Celtic big men, Kanter, RWill, and Theis, bring something different to the table.

Poirier played in summer league. Not the same thing. Theis also played in summer league for the Wizards (i think) several years before he signed in Boston.

« Reply #472 on: November 07, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Somebody said it a long time ago: if you give the minutes Wanamaker and Semi were taking to Jaylen Brown, we are a whole lot better.

In this game, Brown only had 12 points even though he had the most minutes at 32.

I think Jaylen will get more shots with the 2nd unit and he will give the Celtic bench more firepower.
I disagree. His impact as a starter is still very good-he provided the starting lineup a dribble drive threat that opened up a lot of looks for Walker/Hayward/Tatum. If anything Hayward (not talking about benching him) should be the guy buoying our second unit-his playmaking can ensure that our bench offense will at least be passable. Jaylen has improved in playmaking and ballhandling, but he's still more of a self creator rn.

Hayward to the bench? You better ask Somebody...oh wait

« Reply #473 on: November 07, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Yeah. We’re having fun with him tonight, but hard to say what he’s got. Sometimes guys look slow because they’re figuring the game out and when it clicks they look like they belong.

This was his 1st NBA game but he seemed to know where he was supposed to be. He just needs some run but I think he will be useful in certain situations. Time will tell.

« Reply #474 on: November 07, 2019, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

But the results right now is showing us that Hayward is a starter and should be a starter, based on production and results.

If you need more time to see for yourself then let's wait a few more games.

But in this game, Jaylen played, had the most minutes with 32, and only had 9 shot attempts.

There's really not enough shots to go around if the 3 starters, Kemba, Tatum, and Hayward shoot a lot.

« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2019, 11:01:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This was his 1st NBA game but he seemed to know where he was supposed to be. He just needs some run but I think he will be useful in certain situations. Time will tell.

Hopefully...but if not, oh well. He is like our 5th center (with Grant getting some minutes at the 5). I agree, it was his first game and I've seen him jump much higher than negative 2 inches before so hopefully he can be useful if needed.

« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Six playoff  fouls per game might suffice at this point.

« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2019, 11:03:01 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

He didn't stick.

Poirier played in summer league. Not the same thing. Theis also played in summer league for the Wizards (i think) several years before he signed in Boston.

Right now Brad is not playing Poirier on a regular basis.
Even with Kanter out, Brad prefers playing GWill at Center.
That says a lot about Brad's assessment of Poirier.
There's no doubt that if Poirier is good in practice, he will get playing time.
But that's not the case.

I think by December we will know for sure.

Right now I just don't see anything special from Poirier.

« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2019, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
lol bench Jaylen.

The game doesn't work as he describes it. There was never a time when one of our stars wasn't on the floor except in garbage time. There is no "2nd unit".

You don't take a guy who just got a massive contract and is playing well and bring him off the bench. He deserves better than that, which is why it won't happen.

« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hopefully...but if not, oh well. He is like our 5th center (with Grant getting some minutes at the 5). I agree, it was his first game and I've seen him jump much higher than negative 2 inches before so hopefully he can be useful if needed.

This is not Poirier's first NBA game, this is his 3rd NBA game.