Author Topic: Western Conference Semis: Blazers (2) Vs Jazz (3)  (Read 20312 times)

Re: Western Conference Semis: Blazers (2) Vs Jazz (3)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
amare vs kg (imo)

offense- advantage amare
defense- advantage kg
passing- advantage kg
rebounding- draw/maybe slight advantage amare
team leadership- advantage kg

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
ur making an assumption, an inaccurate one at that. lowry would be better suited as a backup.  truth is, i did see lowry play...not every game, but a fair share. ur trusting lowry, based on the second half of one season....im not sold on that. plus i dont like the backup at that position....thus ur weak at the point, imo

Well you're right, I'm assuming you didn't watch Lowry play much last season, because the kid was unbelievable, and not just in the latter half of the season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Only 1 of the other several times they played that season did Amare go off
He scored 39, 27, and 16 in the regular season. On a TS% of .594, .727, and .477.

He lit us up 2 out of 3 in the regular season. Though a part of me wonders how much of that was against KG. I do recall Doc putting Davis on him for long long stretches of those games waiting to use KG in the four quarter. I know KG fouled out in one of the Knick games...
Amare played a lot of center in those two earlier regular season contests (his big scoring nights) with NY spacing the floor with four shooters.

It's a whole different ball game to put him at PF with a big man clogging the paint. That makes Amare a much easier player to defend. His turnovers go up and his scoring efficiency goes down.

Why? Amar'e is very skilled at putting the ball on the floor and finishing in traffic. Since AL Jefferson will be playing next to KG, what's stopping Amar'e from taking KG to task early on and taking him to the rack? Stopping quick athletic frontcourt players who can put the ball on the floor seems to be KG's biggest weakness, due to his diminished lateral quickness.

To add some validity to IP's point here, Amare is ranked first in the league in finishing in traffic with either hand when traffic consists of 3.5 or more people withing a 2 foot radius of him.

PLEASE look at this link and look at statistics by position. Amare is much more effective as a Center. He will be a PF here in this series.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/1727/amare-stoudemire

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
amare vs kg (imo)

offense- advantage amare
defense- advantage kg
passing- advantage kg
rebounding- draw/maybe slight advantage amare
team leadership- advantage kg

Kg averaged more rebounds both in the regular season and the playoffs for a team with higher fg % which limited offensive rebounding opportunities.

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 03:22:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
ur making an assumption, an inaccurate one at that. lowry would be better suited as a backup.  truth is, i did see lowry play...not every game, but a fair share. ur trusting lowry, based on the second half of one season....im not sold on that. plus i dont like the backup at that position....thus ur weak at the point, imo

Well you're right, I'm assuming you didn't watch Lowry play much last season, because the kid was unbelievable, and not just in the latter half of the season.

unbelievable?!  i think not.  he was good, but not great.

i think he is a binky for u and ur not seeing things objectively (which i understand bc u have a motive here....trying to sell ur team).

my original statement was about the point guard position....not just lowry.  lowry is a good back up imo. putting so much faith in him to lead a team in the second round is not wise imo.  throw in a lack of a reputable backup for him, and the pg spot is a major weakness for u, imo

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

i think he is a binky for u and ur not seeing things objectively (which i understand bc u have a motive here....trying to sell ur team).

my original statement was about the point guard position....not just lowry.  lowry is a good back up imo. putting so much faith in him to lead a team in the second round is not wise imo.  throw in a lack of a reputable backup for him, and the pg spot is a major weakness for u, imo

Lowry is not the second coming of CP3. This guy is more like Greg Anthony. He's good but expecting him to be the PG of a title team with the talent you have, having never started a playoff game, and having never started a full season is unrealistic. You have a one All Star player who is a one player and a system player at that who is being guarded by the best defensive player at his position and arguably in the NBA.

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Lowry is not the second coming of CP3. This guy is more like Greg Anthony. He's good but expecting him to be the PG of a title team with the talent you have, having never started a playoff game, and having never started a full season is unrealistic. You have a one All Star player who is a one player and a system player at that who is being guarded by the best defensive player at his position and arguably in the NBA.

didnt i just say how i think they are weak at pg?!  wheres the cp3 coming from???

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
PLEASE look at this link and look at statistics by position. Amare is much more effective as a Center. He will be a PF here in this series.

His best frontcourt partner was Ronny Turiaf. Andrew Bogut is the second best center in the NBA. How in god's green earth is who he played next to as a Knick relevant here?

That's like saying Al Jefferson statistically plays better as a center because he averages more points, while completely ignoring that he plays horrible team defense, isn't a terribly efficient scorer, and routinely gets abused by bigger centers.

Kevin Garnett statistically was better as a center a lot of the times in Minnesota, but that doesn't mean Boston was wrong for switching him to the 4.

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Question: Is Pierce anymore an unanswerable property than Amar'e Stoudemire?

Because I can live with the 36 mins, 20 pts, 50% shooting, 30% from deep that Pierce has put up against Delfino in the years Delfino has been starting for Milwaukee. That's a good stat line.

But Garnett is going to be a year older next year. He's going to be a year slower, and Amar'e already showed what he can do healthy to Kevin Garnett in the playoffs when he was 35. How's he gonna do when KG will be near-36? He'll do even better against Al Jefferson.

And while Brendan Haywood is way better than Al Jefferson as a defensive anchor, he's hardly fast enough to switch out on James Harden after THabo Sefelosha gets picked like an afro by Andrew Bogut.

Also, Kyle Lowry shut Baron Davis down this year as a starter. Part of that All-NBA caliber defense Baron doesn't know anything about.

Advantages at the 1, 2, 4, 5, with Delfino playing his heart out against Pierce. Pierce might go off for one of two of those games, but Delfino will go off defensively as well. And, when Lowry has made Baron Davis hide behind his beard, and Caron Butler can't figure out what to do because nobody is passing him the ball, and Al Jefferson is exposed as a complete liability when he's not scoring...who ya gonna call?

If you think Delfino is going to shut Pierce down in a playoff series, you're nuts. You're overselling here big time. Pierce steps his game up in the playoffs. Also this isn't the second game of a back to back here where you're watching film on an airplane half awake. This is the playoffs where game planning is infinitely magnified.

Pierce will destroy this match-up and will be able to do whatever he wants. Delfino is on the level of Barnes in Orlando. Pierce will be the difference. He is far more efficient and intelligent then you give him credit for. Also way more clutch then anything you're putting on the court.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

didnt i just say how i think they are weak at pg?!  wheres the cp3 coming from???

That was directed at IP. Not you. I agree with everything you are saying.

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

That was directed at IP. Not you. I agree with everything you are saying.

u should quote the correct person or post of the person then (helps to eliminate confusion)

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

His best frontcourt partner was Ronny Turiaf. Andrew Bogut is the second best center in the NBA. How in god's green earth is who he played next to as a Knick relevant here?

That's like saying Al Jefferson statistically plays better as a center because he averages more points, while completely ignoring that he plays horrible team defense, isn't a terribly efficient scorer, and routinely gets abused by bigger centers.

Kevin Garnett statistically was better as a center a lot of the times in Minnesota, but that doesn't mean Boston was wrong for switching him to the 4.

This has been summed up already. Bogut will clog the lane and slow the pace down just like Shaq did in Phoenix when he had an All Star year.

Quote from: IndeedProceed on Today at 03:11:23 pm
Quote from: Who on Today at 03:06:27 pm
Quote from: Fafnir on Today at 03:02:09 pm
Quote from: action781 on Today at 02:58:14 pm
Only 1 of the other several times they played that season did Amare go off
He scored 39, 27, and 16 in the regular season. On a TS% of .594, .727, and .477.

He lit us up 2 out of 3 in the regular season. Though a part of me wonders how much of that was against KG. I do recall Doc putting Davis on him for long long stretches of those games waiting to use KG in the four quarter. I know KG fouled out in one of the Knick games...
Amare played a lot of center in those two earlier regular season contests (his big scoring nights) with NY spacing the floor with four shooters.

It's a whole different ball game to put him at PF with a big man clogging the paint. That makes Amare a much easier player to defend. His turnovers go up and his scoring efficiency goes down.

Why? Amar'e is very skilled at putting the ball on the floor and finishing in traffic. Since AL Jefferson will be playing next to KG, what's stopping Amar'e from taking KG to task early on and taking him to the rack? Stopping quick athletic frontcourt players who can put the ball on the floor seems to be KG's biggest weakness, due to his diminished lateral quickness.

Amare's athletic + skill-set advantages are far greater vs centers than power forwards.

Centers are slower and less equipped athletically to match him + are generally weaker defensively away from the basket and have a very tough time with his face up game.

Power forwards are quicker and defend his face up game much better.

-------------------------------------------------

Kevin Garnett was the second best defensive big man in the league last year and was, by a large margin, the best defensive PF around.

Baby was on Stoudemire most of the game because he could not guard one of the quicker perimeter players. Only KG had the ability to do that.

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Please, I've got 5 players who are all at or near the top of their talent pools at their respective position, and you're staking your team on a 35 (almost 36 by the time this playoff series comes around) year old PF, a 34 year old SF, a point guard who is more inconsistent than MadTV, you don't have a shooting guard that fits the role you want him to play, and you have a 1-trick pony at the Center position, who isn't even all that great at his 1-trick.

Boston lost this year because they lacked the athleticism to keep up with and defend the Miami Heat. I've got better athletes at 5 of the 5 starting positions, I've got better athletes off the bench, I've got more talent, that goes deeper, and more versatility.

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Please, I've got 5 players who are all at or near the top of their talent pools at their respective position, and you're staking your team on a 35 (almost 36 by the time this playoff series comes around) year old PF, a 34 year old SF, a point guard who is more inconsistent than MadTV, you don't have a shooting guard that fits the role you want him to play, and you have a 1-trick pony at the Center position, who isn't even all that great at his 1-trick.

Boston lost this year because they lacked the athleticism to keep up with and defend the Miami Heat. I've got better athletes at 5 of the 5 starting positions, I've got better athletes off the bench, I've got more talent, that goes deeper, and more versatility.

Near the top of their talent pools? Only your 4 and 5 are. Your 3 is no where close and your backup 3 has never played a minute in the NBA. Lowry is not top ten and Harden is arguably not there either. They need to be more consistent to be labeled that way. They need to at least put it together for a full season which neither Lowry or Harden HAS EVER DONE.

There is a reason Thabo starts over Harden. Harden has taken the job yet.

This is a one season game. If this was a game for who has the better team in 3 years then yes yours win. But it's not. If we look at our top 8-9 guys... Utah has the better, more talented, and successful team NEXT YEAR.

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Please, I've got 5 players who are all at or near the top of their talent pools at their respective position,

i like harden, but lumping him in with that statement is beyond inaccurate