Author Topic: Vote NOW for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals (Q&A Thread)  (Read 33347 times)

Re: Vote on Monday for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals (Q&A Thread)
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So Rip's guarding Jennings and Maggette is guarding LeBron?

Ya, I think thats gonna be my strategy.  Sure Lebron is going to score his points, and i expect him to average around 30 for series, but i feel like Rip on Jennings is one of the best ways for me to limit the help that Lebron receives.
Okay, well whenever you've made up you mind let me know.

A clear defensive strategy is one of the questions I have for your team.

Ok that is my strategy.  Final answer
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can buy into the "stop Lebron's teammates, rather than Lebron" philosophy.  History says that nobody is going to shut down Lebron.  However, by stopping his teammates, teams have been able to stop his teams.

Lebron's playoff stats against the teams that knocked him out of the playoffs:

2006:  26.6 points, 6.0 assists

2007:  22.0 points, 6.8 assists

2008:  26.7 points, 7.6 assists

2009:  33.0 points, 8.0 assists

2010:  23.0 points, 7.2 assists

Arguably in 2007 and 2010 Lebron was limited, but in '06, '08, and '09, he went off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Vote on Monday for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
And how do we defend the Lebron Jennings pick and roll?  Thats easy, we play under the pick and let Jennings shoot as much as he wants. 
Isn't that how Jennings ended up scoring 55 against Golden State?

By the Warriors continually going under the pick and roll.

Ya, I think thats gonna be my strategy.  Sure Lebron is going to score his points, and i expect him to average around 30 for series, but i feel like Rip on Jennings is one of the best ways for me to limit the help that Lebron receives.
Rip is your best defensive matchup against both Jennings and LeBron. You are going to have to let one of those guys have a huge advantage ... nothing you can do about that.

And no matter who Rip defends ... your team is still going to be incredibly vulnerable to any 1-4 or 3-4 pick and rolls against Dirk Nowitzki. Rip can't change that. He'll help a great deal in one-on-one scenarios (vs Maggette or Kidd) but it'll only be a marginal improvement in the pick and roll.

And Chicago run the pick and roll all day and all night. It is their offense. That and transition baskets which is again a huge advantage for the Bulls over Milwaukee. Bucks can't stop either avenue.

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The Gorillaz have posted both their rebutal and argument.

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
StartOrien:
It stars with challenging Rose with Wesley Matthews. The Kobe-stopper has shown his ability to limit offensive superstars, and we will see the same against Rose. Matthews will be aggressive, but won't hesitate to pack it in forcing Rose to shoot and angering mentally fragile Zach Randolph and "just got paid" Carlos Boozer.

We've heard reports that Rose has been working on that shot all summer, which would be great, if we didn't see some really poor shooting out of him in the FIBA championships. IMO, his shot actually looked significantly worse than it has in the past as he looks extremely uncomfortable and unconfident with his new form.
Wes Mathews a Kobe stopper? Come on! He'll be a solid defender, but he'll need help on the pick and roll with Rose.

For the most part, Salmons/Turkoglu will be on Lewis. Salmons speed discouraging Lewis' ability to catch in space, and Turkoglu's height to counter Lewis' own size. Two different approaches to discourage Rashard Lewis.

BTW, we all remember Rashard Lewis in the playoffs, right? He's the guy who scored 6,5,4,13,15 and 7 points in his last 6 games
Are you worried about Rashard's post game against both players?

Also it is disengious to state the playoff series against Boston when you don't have a defender anywhere in the same ballpark as KG covering Lewis.

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And how do we defend the Lebron Jennings pick and roll?  Thats easy, we play under the pick and let Jennings shoot as much as he wants. 

Yes, though he shot well above average on 3s that game. After that teams respected his range a lot more and tried to force him into more difficult two point shots. (plus he started jacking too many 3s)

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Rip is your best defensive matchup against both Jennings and LeBron. You are going to have to let one of those guys have a huge advantage ... nothing you can do about that.

And no matter who Rip defends ... your team is still going to be incredibly vulnerable to any 1-4 or 3-4 pick and rolls against Dirk Nowitzki. Rip can't change that. He'll help a great deal in one-on-one scenarios (vs Maggette or Kidd) but it'll only be a marginal improvement in the pick and roll.

And Chicago run the pick and roll all day and all night. It is their offense. That and transition baskets which is again a huge advantage for the Bulls over Milwaukee. Bucks can't stop either avenue.

Who I dont think Dirk is as defensively limited as you think.  Dallas was a much better defensive team with him on the floor than without him and he held his opponents to under their season average. 

I think rip will be able to slow down Jennings on the pick and rolls, and Im not to concerned with the pick and rolls regarding Ilyasova.  The pick and rolls with lebron you have a good point.  Again I know lebron is going to score his, but i dont think his supporting cast will be able to contribute which is how i plan on winning the series.

Also, if a guy scores 55 on a night in the NBA does it really matter what kind of defense your employing?  If an NBA player catches fire, they are gonna score. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Rashard Lewis has an advantage against John Salmons or one of Phoenix's SGs masquerading as a SF. He has the size advantage, the post game, overall offensive efficiency and a rebounding advantage.

Antawn Jamison cannot contain either Carlos Boozer or Zach Randolph ... but they can't guard him either. Jamison will lose the matchup but he can make it somewhat competitive. Also, Jamison should be guarding Dampier when Damp is in the game while the Suns put Dwight on one of the main scorers.

Neither Boozer or Randolph have a hope in hell of covering Hedo Turkoglu at the PF position. But Turkoglu is also your best matchup against Rashard Lewis. With Turkoglu in the game, the pick and roll, the 1 in 4 out offense ... Dwight Howard will be an absolutely irresistible force on both ends of the court.

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Who I dont think Dirk is as defensively limited as you think.  Dallas was a much better defensive team with him on the floor than without him and he held his opponents to under their season average. 

I think rip will be able to slow down Jennings on the pick and rolls, and Im not to concerned with the pick and rolls regarding Ilyasova.  The pick and rolls with lebron you have a good point.  Again I know lebron is going to score his, but i dont think his supporting cast will be able to contribute which is how i plan on winning the series.

Also, if a guy scores 55 on a night in the NBA does it really matter what kind of defense your employing?  If an NBA player catches fire, they are gonna score. 
Actually, the defensive strategy was the main reason Jennings caught fire in the first place. Check the game tape and the quotes after the game ... Jennings got a load of open jump shots and got in a zone because of Nellie's defensive strategy.

Dirk Nowitzki has his strengths defensively (mainly his height) and his weaknesses. He is a poor team defender who cannot contain the pick and roll. That is why Dallas (along with Dampier who also lacks mobility/quickness which makes him a bad combination with Dirk + Kidd who lacks quickness on PG which again makes him a bad combination with Dirk) have been crucified by so many pick and roll players over the last three seasons. T.Parker 2009, C.Paul 2008 being the two most glaring examples of that.

Dirk Nowitzki has also been steadily declining defensively + on the glass over the last couple of years. Old age starting to settle in.

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Where did this idea of putting Hedo at PF come from?  He played less than 2 minutes per game there last year (and in that very, very limited sample size, his team got killed, and the players he was guarding went off).

He played even less time there in Orlando.  In short, the guy is not a PF, and against the best big man combination in the CB-NBA, I think it would be suicide for Phoenix to play Hedo at the 4.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Where did this idea of putting Hedo at PF come from?  He played less than 2 minutes per game there last year (and in that very, very limited sample size, his team got killed, and the players he was guarding went off).

He played even less time there in Orlando.  In short, the guy is not a PF, and against the best big man combination in the CB-NBA, I think it would be suicide for Phoenix to play Hedo at the 4.
Hedo Turkoglu played the PF position when Rashard Lewis first arrived in Orlando ... before switching to the SF position because R.Lewis was the better defender (at PF) + opposing coaches put their SFs on Hedo Turkoglu after they found out (to their surprise) he was a larger offensive threat than Lewis.

Hedo Turkoglu is a very effective offensive player at the power forward position. He lacks athleticism and quickness against small forwards (which allows top defenders SF to limit him considerably) but he has an advantage against most power forwards. Especially bruisers like Boozer and Randolph who also lack the defensive skill-set to cover a guy like Turkoglu on the perimeter.

Hedo is considerably more effective offensively as a power forward than a small forward. He can beat his man more regularly, create his own shot at a higher level and is more efficient as a scorer.

Turkoglu is a negative in terms of defense / rebounding but if he has enough protection (an interior defender like Dwight Howard) + the freedom to exploit his offensive talents ... he'll add far more to his team than he takes away from it.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Faf:

Yes, a little bit disingenius about Rashard's performance, but his numbers for the playoffs were across the board pretty underwhelming. Despite how well the Magic performed in absolutely annihilating their opponent Rashard only went off for 20+ points in 2 of the 8 games.

I'm not all that concerned with Rashard's post game, it's certainly spotty, and I think we can give him a few different looks to shake him a little on the nights that its on.

With Wesley Matthews: Anybody is going to need help on D with even a decent PG let alone someone as good as Rose. But Matthews is a good starting point, and having Dwight Howard protect the hole is going to help a lot.

Who:

In this matchup I don't anticipate anyone seeing much of anyone besides Salmons and Turk at the 3. The only spot minutes given to Rudy/T-will at the 3 would be when Lewis is out or playing the 4.

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Actually, the defensive strategy was the main reason Jennings caught fire in the first place. Check the game tape and the quotes after the game ... Jennings got a load of open jump shots and got in a zone because of Nellie's defensive strategy.

Dirk Nowitzki has his strengths defensively (mainly his height) and his weaknesses. He is a poor team defender who cannot contain the pick and roll. That is why Dallas (along with Dampier who also lacks mobility/quickness which makes him a bad combination with Dirk + Kidd who lacks quickness on PG which again makes him a bad combination with Dirk) have been crucified by so many pick and roll players over the last three seasons. T.Parker 2009, C.Paul 2008 being the two most glaring examples of that.

Dirk Nowitzki has also been steadily declining defensively + on the glass over the last couple of years. Old age starting to settle in.

Who thats Fine, but do you think with a defensive minded coach in Thibbs who has figured out a way to knock Lebrons team out of the playoffs the last two times he played them wont be able to figure out how to stop it? 

Also, Lebron cant score 100 points a game.  Its not gonna happen.  And with Rip on Jennings i think i will limit his scoring significantly. 

Meanwhile i dont really see them being able to shut down dirk or Rip.  And I also think Maggette will be able to get around 15 a game on lebron.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Who thats Fine, but do you think with a defensive minded coach in Thibbs who has figured out a way to knock Lebrons team out of the playoffs the last two times he played them wont be able to figure out how to stop it? 
Not without better defensive players.

The combination of Kidd + Maggette + Dirk leaves your team too vulnerable against this Chicago team.

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
When I do my formal rebuttal, I'll try to get into it a bit more, but I absolutely welcome Hedo at the PF position.  First of all, since at least 2007, every time he's played there (which has always been in very limited minutes), he's been abused physically, with the men he's been guarding putting up big, big numbers.

Second, if Hedo is in the game, Sacramento has a huge rebounding advantage, even with Howard in the game.

Last, Hedo trying to guard either Boozer or Randolph is going to lead to additional fouls on the inside.  Some of these will obviously go to Hedo, but others will be on Howard.  With Howard in foul-trouble, Phoenix crumbles.