Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35173 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Do Durant and Howard get along?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If we strike out on the Durant+Horford combo I'd be happy to give Dwight a 1+1 max and then ink his best buddy Parsons to a max to play the 4. The defense on this team would be unreal and adding Parsons as a 3 point threat (career 38% 3pt shooter) would be help one of our biggest weaknesses. Try and move Young and Rozier for a future first. Sign Ekpe Udoh to a vet min. as depth.

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

That's actually not a bad idea. I was wondering about Parsons as a potential option at the 4 for us. Pretty good defender, too. He'd essentially work like Deng at the 4 in Miami.

I think it elevates us to at least #2 in the East. You're just one break out star away from contending with CLE  8)
This elevates us to being awful. The only reason to consider moving Crowder to full-time PF is if we have Durant. Otherwise, you'll be a stronger team starting a real PF over Parsons.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Wade to the Knicks would be interesting

Road
Wade
Memo
Porzingis

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
If we strike out on the Durant+Horford combo I'd be happy to give Dwight a 1+1 max and then ink his best buddy Parsons to a max to play the 4. The defense on this team would be unreal and adding Parsons as a 3 point threat (career 38% 3pt shooter) would be help one of our biggest weaknesses. Try and move Young and Rozier for a future first. Sign Ekpe Udoh to a vet min. as depth.

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

That's actually not a bad idea. I was wondering about Parsons as a potential option at the 4 for us. Pretty good defender, too. He'd essentially work like Deng at the 4 in Miami.

I think it elevates us to at least #2 in the East. You're just one break out star away from contending with CLE  8)
This elevates us to being awful. The only reason to consider moving Crowder to full-time PF is if we have Durant. Otherwise, you'll be a stronger team starting a real PF over Parsons.

Outside of their injury history, which is legitimately concerning, I don't see what the issue would be. He's a perfect small-ball four in the modern NBA that can stretch the floor, and with Dwight at center, you can get away with it due to his elite rebounding and rim protection. And though only being about 230 lbs., Parsons is also 6'10", which is pretty good size for the 4.

I'd be leery about giving them both max contracts for long-term, but I do think it'd be a fairly good pairing, especially for Brad's defensive philosophy that values defensive versatility.

EDIT: Honestly, the more I think about it, stylistically that's a nearly perfect pairing to add to this group. It also follows the 4 out/1 in philosophy that SVG has perfected over his coaching years.

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

Awful? Really? Do you watch basketball? We add to our 48 win core an elite shot blocking/rebounding center and a combo forward (who's 6'10 and played minutes at the 4 in Huston and Dallas, so relax) who shoots the 3 ball at a high clip and we become "awful". We want guys who can play multiple positions and are versatile. Parsons fits the bill.

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

Outside of their injury history, which is legitimately concerning, I don't see what the issue would be. He's a perfect small-ball four in the modern NBA that can stretch the floor, and with Dwight at center, you can get away with it due to his elite rebounding and rim protection. And though only being about 230 lbs., Parsons is also 6'10", which is pretty good size for the 4.

I'd be leery about giving them both max contracts for long-term, but I do think it'd be a fairly good pairing, especially for Brad's defensive philosophy that values defensive versatility.

Thank you. Also, Parsons is a 6 year vet, which means maxing him out will be a steal compared to a 7 year vet, who can command 30% of the cap. I don't know the numbers, but if someone wants to look and see what his max would be I'd be interested.

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

Chandler Parsons has averaged 67 games a season over his NBA career, and has never played full-time PF. I don't think I can properly verbalize how much I hate the idea of giving him any sort of a significant contract.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

Chandler Parsons has averaged 67 games a season over his NBA career, and has never played full-time PF. I don't think I can properly verbalize how much I hate the idea of giving him any sort of a significant contract.

But I agree with you on the injury part. It is definitely concerning. However, fit-wise, you can't argue that that is seemingly a very good fit for Brad's philosophy. He'd also be a much cheaper contract due to being a 6-year vet, as n9ne said above.

Would you do 1 + 1 contracts with both of them if they were willing (and we struck out on everything else)?

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:51 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Dwight is still dominant and as said on this thread, he is better than anyone we have.
Think about it.
When he was in Orlando he was everything and he performed.
When he went to the Lakers, they were dysfunctional and Kobe is a ball hog.
In Houston, the first year they had they were dominant but Harden took most of the shots.
At 30, he might be just what we need.
The only thing that bothers me is his FT  shooting.

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

But I agree with you on the injury part. It is definitely concerning. However, fit-wise, you can't argue that that is seemingly a very good fit for Brad's philosophy. He'd also be a much cheaper contract due to being a 6-year vet, as n9ne said above.

Would you do 1 + 1 contracts with both of them if they were willing (and we struck out on everything else)?
If he can be had on something resembling Amir's contract, sure -- and only as a last resort. Anything else I feel is setting us up to fail.

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Wow! That is interesting, and it really shows you how much our status has risen around the league in the last several years. Remember two years ago when he wouldn't even agree to meet with us?
I think it's more of an indication of how his status has fallen -- I don't think he can afford to snub any teams any longer.
indeed. we arent talking about the 2011 howard anymore. first, he is not just 30, but a 30 with a lot of minutes played. ( an average of 35.3/g over his 12 year career).

next, his offense is in decline. he's no longer a game changer on that end. now, his offense is primarily from tip-ins, and he's getting fewer of them than before.

his usage is down significantly. last season it was 18.4, the lowest since his rookie season. his career usage is 23.0. in previous years, usage was 23 to 27.

most of the advanced metrics (WS, def +/_,  etc.) indicate a player who is entering the decline part of a long career.

would howard help with rebounds and general defense on the celtics? probably. he still has some skills and can be effective, but not as effective as he once was.

i believe howard is closing in on being a role player. i am not convinced paying him the max (and i dont think he will get the max) over 4 years is a wise use of the salary cap.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
For me I think we have to trust Danny and Brad to decide if we want to deal with Howard.

I prefer Horford but in either case I think we have to keep Amir as a backup for 15 or 20 mpg.

That with Olynyk starting at PF would be a more than adequate rotation of bigs with Mickey getting spot minutes.

If we got neither then we should go after Zach Randolph or another veteran bigman as a backup to Amir. Otherwise we could end up with Sullinger and Zeller again. No thanks
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

This....scared of Parsons' knees AND the injuries have all happened at the wrong time.

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Nylon Calculus says he'll get 14.5 million x 5 years.
I'd give him a 4 year x 15 million deal.

if we could get 3-4 good years out of him that would be an absolute bargain IMO.
if he's cooked by age 32 we'd just have to stretch him and it would still only be 13% of the cap.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/06/29/a-model-for-nba-free-agent-earnings/
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.