Author Topic: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist  (Read 22651 times)

Re: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2020, 12:02:17 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Haven't been paying attention to college ball yet.  If there is a good Cameroonian big who started basketball late, that's my pick.  Good things come in threes.
Sadly no Cameroonian big that I can find, but Zeke Nnaji is a guy who started basketball late. Elite efficiency scoring with good rebounding. Maybe he’s a late first target?
Thanks.  Watched a few highlights and listened to a short interview.  I like what I see and heard.  Good energy and mobility.  Listed as 6'11/240 but doesn't look like it.  Seemed to have a very good personality.  I'll need to look into him more.  NBAdraft.net mock has him at 16.
I’ve seen him listed between 16 and 38, so he’s just one of those guys this early in the draft process. He could be a good piece I feel - still young and producing at a high level.
Doesn't sound like he started late.  In an interview, he said he wanted to be a NBA player since he was a kid and that his dad worked with him on it as a kid.  I do like what I've seen so far.
You could be completely right, I was just going off his Wikipedia page, lol.
He's doing pretty good having his own wikipedia page already.  Had a good article reference. 
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/12/28/high-school-basketball-player-concert-pianist-zeke-nnaji/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:13:12 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gotta preface this by saying I don't think nor want us to keep our 3 first round picks. I don't think it's particularly good roster management considering how laden with young talent our current group already is.

However...

I've got lots of spare time on my hands, so, considering the nature of this thread, I thought I'd put out my 4-5 guys to watch for each of our draft slots. Gotta keep in mind that this draft seems particularly volatile as soon as the top 3 is done.

Also keep in mind these are in no particular order - just guys I like who some of you might too.

With our Memphis pick, which I'm guessing to be in the 10-14 range:

Obi Toppin - 6'9 - 220lbs - 22 years old when drafted
Toppin is quite an old prospect, which will likely scare some people away, but it's also why I think he could fall to us. He scores with elite efficiency, and is really aggressive on the offensive end. His 3 point shot is a work in progress, but I project him to shoot the NBA 3 at around 34%. His advanced stats are pretty great, especially his PER, OBPM & DBPM. I think with his athleticism his inside scoring will translate to the NBA, with some of his moves reminding me of a young Amare, but with a bit less bounce. His defence is also solid too, and I think he has room to grow as a passer.

Jahmi'us Ramsey - 6'4 - 195lbs - 19 years old when drafted
Ramsey is a classic Texas Tech surprise climber, similar to Culver & Zhaire Smith. He's a really strong defender from what I've seen, is a good athlete, shoots 40% from deep on 5.5 attempts per game, and is a pretty solid rebounder. He is a little bit on the short side, but he has a 6'10 wingspan, and his defensive stats (like Def Rating, Def WS & DBPM) are all good. However, he's not at a position of need at all.

Paul Reed - 6'9 - 220lbs - 21 years old when drafted
Another older power forward prospect, but I love what he does. He's an amazing rebounder (11RPG), and has really great defensive numbers (3 blocks and 2 steals per game). He's also a solid, efficient scorer and a good free throw shooter. I love his motor, and he's a real killer on fast breaks, which is something this team seems to emphasise. At the moment his 3 point shot is lacking, but I think it's something he can develop, and I think he'd make a great partner next to the Williams' and Kanter.

Killian Hayes - 6'5 - 187lbs - 18 when drafted
He's really young, and is currently playing quite solidly in Germany. My one concern with him, or two rather, is his turnover and foul rates. But given his age, I think those are two things he can certainly work on. He's got legit size at the guard spot, and is a really good playmaker which combines nicely with his athleticism.

Tyrese Haliburton - 6'5 - 175lbs - 20 when drafted
Haliburton has been rising up lots of boards, and I've seen him going anywhere from 6-14. He's got great length and athleticism, is a really good passer, gets a lot of rebounds and steals, and scores efficiently from every level. He doesn't turn it over too often either. I really like his potential because of his BBIQ, and with Wanamaker likely on his way out I'd like to nab a guy like him.

With our own pick, 24-28 range:

Daniel Oturu - 6'10 - 240lbs - 20 when drafted
Oturu is an older big-man prospect who has absolutely lit it up at Minnesota this year. Averaging roughly 20/12 with 3 blocks, with a TS% of 63%. He's a really impressive athlete (7'2 wingspan too) who has a baby-soft touch on some of his finishes around the rim, and he is developing a shot. However, his passing leaves quite a lot to be desired, and he turns it over quite frequently. I don't know how problematic the latter qualm would be given his lesser role here, but still something to keep an eye on.

Vernon Carey Jr. - 6'10 - 265lbs - 19 when drafted
Carey Jr. is an absolute bull of a big-man, and uses that size to be an absolute terror on the interior for Duke. He really creates an impact, with quite awesome per-minute stats. He's not much of a shooter from deep or the free throw line, and he's not a great passer, but he averages 10FTA per-36 minutes, so if he works on his FT shooting he could be quite the force. He's too left-hand dominant at the moment, but he has strong potential on both sides.

Tyler Bey - 6'7 - 216lbs - 22 when drafted
An older wing - probably enough to scare most off around here. But he's an elite athlete, an elite rebounder, a strong defender and quite the efficient scorer. The only thing missing is a 3 point shot, but he's able to hit it at a higher percentage this season, and his free throw shooting is good, with a strong ability for generating foul shots. He's definitely not a need though.

Zeke Nnaji - 6'11 - 240lbs - 19 when drafted
He's a mobile big with legit size, and his athleticism has really stood out to me. He can shoot from all levels, hits free throws, but doesn't shoot all too much. He has a generally nice touch. I don't think he projects as an elite rim-protector, but I think he'll always be a solid defender, and he has the ability to be able to switch out onto wing players.

With the Bucks pick, 28-30:

Aleksej Pokusevski - 7' - 201lbs - 18 when drafted
He's a big Euro, but he's rail thin. I think the potential for a nasty stretch big is definitely there. He's a really solid rebounder, passer and defender at his current level, and his shooting touch is definitely there. I think he'd be a great stash guy as well - he's basically the anti-Yabu!

Jordan Nwora - 6'7 - 220lbs - 21 when drafted
He can play both wing spots, can shoot the triple and has the ability to score inside and hit free throws. However, his passing leaves a lot to be desired. If we don't take a wing with our first two picks then I could see him being a target.

Makur Maker - 7' - 233lbs - 19 when drafted
Not much is really known about him, but he's a hyper-athletic 7 footer with the ability to handle the ball and shoot. His frame seems a bit more NBA-ready than Thon, who is still only 221lbs. Might be worth taking a flier.

Tres Tinkle - 6'7 - 225lbs - 24 when drafted
He's older, but he's a sharpshooting wing. Reminds me of Duncan Robinson in terms of being an older sharpshooter, except his shooting is a bit worse but he seems to have a more solid all-round game.

Joel Ajayi - 6'5 - 180lbs - 20 when drafted
Ajayi is an interesting do-it-all guard for Gonzaga - the most noteworthy thing in his game is his crazy rebounding. I think he'd be a really fun bench piece. He's also a pretty good shooter who doesn't turn it over, and plays good defence. I think he'd be a fun pickup if we don't take any guards earlier.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I still haven't totally dove into the draft yet.

But I will say I liked what I saw of Vernon Carey, Jr. when I watched a Duke game a couple weeks back.   That kid is strong.  And seems to have a pretty good head for the game.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Gotta preface this by saying I don't think nor want us to keep our 3 first round picks. I don't think it's particularly good roster management considering how laden with young talent our current group already is.

However...

I've got lots of spare time on my hands, so, considering the nature of this thread, I thought I'd put out my 4-5 guys to watch for each of our draft slots. Gotta keep in mind that this draft seems particularly volatile as soon as the top 3 is done.

Also keep in mind these are in no particular order - just guys I like who some of you might too.

Toppin is quite an old prospect, which will likely scare some people away, but it's also why I think he could fall to us. He scores with elite efficiency, and is really aggressive on the offensive end. His 3 point shot is a work in progress, but I project him to shoot the NBA 3 at around 34%. His advanced stats are pretty great, especially his PER, OBPM & DBPM. I think with his athleticism his inside scoring will translate to the NBA, with some of his moves reminding me of a young Amare, but with a bit less bounce. His defence is also solid too, and I think he has room to grow as a passer.

Ramsey is a classic Texas Tech surprise climber, similar to Culver & Zhaire Smith. He's a really strong defender from what I've seen, is a good athlete, shoots 40% from deep on 5.5 attempts per game, and is a pretty solid rebounder. He is a little bit on the short side, but he has a 6'10 wingspan, and his defensive stats (like Def Rating, Def WS & DBPM) are all good. However, he's not at a position of need at all.

Another older power forward prospect, but I love what he does. He's an amazing rebounder (11RPG), and has really great defensive numbers (3 blocks and 2 steals per game). He's also a solid, efficient scorer and a good free throw shooter. I love his motor, and he's a real killer on fast breaks, which is something this team seems to emphasise. At the moment his 3 point shot is lacking, but I think it's something he can develop, and I think he'd make a great partner next to the Williams' and Kanter.

He's really young, and is currently playing quite solidly in Germany. My one concern with him, or two rather, is his turnover and foul rates. But given his age, I think those are two things he can certainly work on. He's got legit size at the guard spot, and is a really good playmaker which combines nicely with his athleticism.

Haliburton has been rising up lots of boards, and I've seen him going anywhere from 6-14. He's got great length and athleticism, is a really good passer, gets a lot of rebounds and steals, and scores efficiently from every level. He doesn't turn it over too often either. I really like his potential because of his BBIQ, and with Wanamaker likely on his way out I'd like to nab a guy like him.

Oturu is an older big-man prospect who has absolutely lit it up at Minnesota this year. Averaging roughly 20/12 with 3 blocks, with a TS% of 63%. He's a really impressive athlete (7'2 wingspan too) who has a baby-soft touch on some of his finishes around the rim, and he is developing a shot. However, his passing leaves quite a lot to be desired, and he turns it over quite frequently. I don't know how problematic the latter qualm would be given his lesser role here, but still something to keep an eye on.

Carey Jr. is an absolute bull of a big-man, and uses that size to be an absolute terror on the interior for Duke. He really creates an impact, with quite awesome per-minute stats. He's not much of a shooter from deep or the free throw line, and he's not a great passer, but he averages 10FTA per-36 minutes, so if he works on his FT shooting he could be quite the force. He's too left-hand dominant at the moment, but he has strong potential on both sides.

An older wing - probably enough to scare most off around here. But he's an elite athlete, an elite rebounder, a strong defender and quite the efficient scorer. The only thing missing is a 3 point shot, but he's able to hit it at a higher percentage this season, and his free throw shooting is good, with a strong ability for generating foul shots. He's definitely not a need though.

He's a mobile big with legit size, and his athleticism has really stood out to me. He can shoot from all levels, hits free throws, but doesn't shoot all too much. He has a generally nice touch. I don't think he projects as an elite rim-protector, but I think he'll always be a solid defender, and he has the ability to be able to switch out onto wing players.

He's a big Euro, but he's rail thin. I think the potential for a nasty stretch big is definitely there. He's a really solid rebounder, passer and defender at his current level, and his shooting touch is definitely there. I think he'd be a great stash guy as well - he's basically the anti-Yabu!

He can play both wing spots, can shoot the triple and has the ability to score inside and hit free throws. However, his passing leaves a lot to be desired. If we don't take a wing with our first two picks then I could see him being a target.

Not much is really known about him, but he's a hyper-athletic 7 footer with the ability to handle the ball and shoot. His frame seems a bit more NBA-ready than Thon, who is still only 221lbs. Might be worth taking a flier.

He's older, but he's a sharpshooting wing. Reminds me of Duncan Robinson in terms of being an older sharpshooter, except his shooting is a bit worse but he seems to have a more solid all-round game.

Ajayi is an interesting do-it-all guard for Gonzaga - the most noteworthy thing in his game is his crazy rebounding. I think he'd be a really fun bench piece. He's also a pretty good shooter who doesn't turn it over, and plays good defence. I think he'd be a fun pickup if we don't take any guards earlier.

Thanks for the post!  from the players you selected:

Memphis pick range: 
no Halliburton he'll be gone sadly....pray for Toppin, Hayes, or (Okongwu) as well.  Haven't seen Reed this hgh but there's a lot to like with him. 

Celtics own pick range: 
If Pokusevski is there, go for it as a slight gamble/stash.  Otherwise Nnaji.  Both may be gone, so then I'd hope for Ajayi at this slot, or Reed. or Carey Jr. (or gamble on Sylla)

Bucks pick:  Pokusevksi, Reed, Ajayi, (Sylla), (Hagans), Nesmith

edit:  Jahmi'us Ramsey seems like an Ainge pick...and a good pick too, though hard to find space for him at the moment.  Any thoughts on Precious Achiuwa? 

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2020, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Amar Sylla is my new binkie.  Compares to Siakam in size, length and athleticism.  Obviously raw right now. Rated top prospect from overseas.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/27/early-2020-draft-thoughts-amar-sylla/

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

However...

Memphis pick range: 
no Halliburton he'll be gone sadly....pray for Toppin, Hayes, or (Okongwu) as well.  Haven't seen Reed this hgh but there's a lot to like with him. 

Celtics own pick range: 
If Pokusevski is there, go for it as a slight gamble/stash.  Otherwise Nnaji.  Both may be gone, so then I'd hope for Ajayi at this slot, or Reed. or Carey Jr. (or gamble on Sylla)

edit:  Jahmi'us Ramsey seems like an Ainge pick...and a good pick too, though hard to find space for him at the moment.  Any thoughts on Precious Achiuwa?
I agree that Haliburton probably goes top 8, but if Memphis crumble who knows! Reed could be a reach, but he’s a binkie of mine.

Sylla could also be an interesting gamble. For my mind he’s definitely a big, maybe even a 4-5 kind of player. He’s got the length and the athleticism - only needs to put on some
muscle.

I like what Achiuwa does, but fear he might climb up teams boards. Athletic wing who seems really NBA ready (you’d hope so, he’s a bit older). However he might fall to our range like Doumbouya did

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

However...

Memphis pick range: 

Celtics own pick range: 

I agree that Haliburton probably goes top 8, but if Memphis crumble who knows! Reed could be a reach, but he’s a binkie of mine.

Sylla could also be an interesting gamble. For my mind he’s definitely a big, maybe even a 4-5 kind of player. He’s got the length and the athleticism - only needs to put on some
muscle.

I like what Achiuwa does, but fear he might climb up teams boards. Athletic wing who seems really NBA ready (you’d hope so, he’s a bit older). However he might fall to our range like Doumbouya did

Approve of your Reed admiration.  He seems like a player who could be immediately useful to a team like the C's.  Wonder if Danny would combine the late picks to move up and draft him around pick 20. 
But more likely Ainge combines the picks in a way that adds a first next year. 
Would be sad to miss on Sylla if he's planning to follow in Siakam's footsteps....let's see if by draft time he makes himself seem like less of a gamble.  A Memphis crumble would be great.  Although I like Toppin and Okongwu, landing Haliburton would make my draft day big time.  Someone to back up Smart and Waters, and after a year or two allow us to trade Waters (unless he really blows up...then keep him...but he'll always be small and not sure Danny/Brad will tolerate a one-position back up long-term, which is why I see him as a nice trade asset down the line....unless he's just too good of course.)
One of this year's 6'5" PG's to groom going forward would be a nice get (Hayes, Maledon, Ajayi, Halliburton of course)...Then we get to pray for an SGA-like development arc....(wishful thinking...I know)

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Wonder if Danny would combine the late picks to move up and draft him around pick 20. 

But more likely Ainge combines the picks in a way that adds a first next year. 

I am sure Danny has already researched his options there. Or at least he should have. People seem to think this is a weak draft, so it might be hard to convince someone to take 2 end of round picks for 1 next year to the Celtics to move up a few spots this year. Ainge might get stuck in a draft and stash situation again.

Are there any mediocre teams drafting 15-20 this year that will probably be drafting in that range next year that need 2 extra picks this year? Or traded away their 1st round pick and want to buy one?

A team that’s getting older and not better, but doesn’t want to tank, but needs some younger players to develop and replace their older bench players? That’s the situation I’d target. Our 2 end of round picks for an opportunity at a higher pick next year, say #20, but then the aging star that carries the team is missing games from various aches and pains, and the pick ends up as a #12 instead.

What teams fit that profile?

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Hmmm. A quick look says Memphis, Philadelphia, Indiana, and Denver might want to buy a 1st round pick.

Memphis is getting better and probably doesn’t want to take a Boston pick this year and we get their pick again next year. 76ers and Nuggets probably pick too low next year to be worth swapping.  Maybe the Pacers? Who’s getting old that doesn’t have cap space and needs a younger bench?

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hmmm. A quick look says Memphis, Philadelphia, Indiana, and Denver might want to buy a 1st round pick.

Memphis is getting better and probably doesn’t want to take a Boston pick this year and we get their pick again next year. 76ers and Nuggets probably pick too low next year to be worth swapping.  Maybe the Pacers? Who’s getting old that doesn’t have cap space and needs a younger bench?
This is considered a week draft.  Doubtful that a team would trade a pick in next year's draft for this draft. 

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

However...

I will be shocked if Haliburton doesn't go much higher then #10. Its still really early to predict but I'm guessing he goes top 5. With so many question marks at the top of this draft a pass first PG with elite size who is shooting better then 40% from 3 on 6 attempts will be tough for teams to pass up. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Really helpful breakdown, gouki.

I like what I saw from Ramsey, Reed, and Haliburton.

Of the three, Ramsey is probably the most sure pick. Reed and Haliburton are both high upside options, but I could also see neither playing in the NBA.

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What about Xavier Tillman from Michigan State. He's similar to Grant Williams.

Or Jalen Smith from Maryland.

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
What about Xavier Tillman from Michigan State. He's similar to Grant Williams.

Or Jalen Smith from Maryland.
Tillman is much bigger than Grant. He's a good defender but not much of an offensive game. He's also a good rim protector at around 6'9 though. He could be available with the Brooklyn pick.
Smith hasn't improved his game much from last year where he was a highly recruited prospect. He has some athleticism but he's no Robert Williams.
There's a lot of names that weren't mentioned that could be candidates for the C's 3 1st rounders. Just a lot of similar "talent level" prospects bunched within 20 of each other. I guess it's who floats your boat.

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Haliburton out for the year, wonder if that changes his draft stock