Author Topic: Hope DA not swayed by "Fools Gold"!  (Read 9571 times)

Hope DA not swayed by "Fools Gold"!
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
First off, don't get me wrong---the last few games have been great! Best part of the season to this point! Really surprising, considering RR and Sully injuries, and unexpected. However--trying to keep things in context a bit--5 of those 6 games were played at home, against some pretty bad teams, or the Clips minus CP(who have been pretty bad without him!). The Heat took a Hurculean effort to just barely pull it out, ON OUR HOME COURT! So while this little streak has been fun, let's not get carried away.
After our next game against Denver, we start a stretch of 10 of 13 ON THE ROAD! Also the 3 at home are against some pretty decent teams(Chi,GS, and Atl). Problem is most of that schedule is AFTER the trade deadline!!!  I'm afraid that Danny is lured into believing that this recent run is the real deal, does nothing, and then we start going down the tubes when the schedule gets tougher, and then it's too late to do anything!
I just keep looking down the road, post KG/PP(whether that is after this season, or next perhaps), and things look REALLY grim!!!  RR, damaged goods right now(though he should be back full strength in time), Sully(he will never be the same--and we should trade him for whatever we can get as soon as he comes back!), nothing for KG/PP, and only a single draft pick this year! Doesn't leave you with a whole lot! And not much of anything to do future deals with either--RR,AB, and maybe JG if he continues to step it up and gets to that next level!
Just terrified if Danny doesn't move now we're in big trouble! We've got four games before the deadline, so how we do in them could also have a big impact on his thinking!
We'll see!!! 

Re: Hope DA not swayed by "Fools Gold"!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No Fools Gold here... just because you guys didn't believe it to be the case, and suddenly we playing well now contrary to your initial believes, doesn't invalidate the capacity of this team.

I don't know why you see our future as grim and are terrified of it, as far as I'm concern we have this team for 2-3 more years, with opportunities to improve each and every year, and after that we'll have ample opportunity to upgrade the team with a lot of cap flexibility and tradeable assets.

The only thing I'm really worried about is about Danny overreacting to how a team played for half a season.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think this team is just a couple big men, 1 center  1 PF away from contending.

Not having Rondo will hurt in the playoffs, but I still think noise can be made with who we have plus a couple pieces.

Every one was complaining about Lee,Green and  Terry not playing up to contract. Well now they are.

Theres not much DA can do right now. Bass can be replaced, but to get something really good in return like a Josh Smith, Lee, Green, or Terry has to be involved. And right now those 3 together are worth more than Smith.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Once KG and Pierce leave, things are going to be pretty grim regardless of whether we pick up a few non-elite prospects. 

My advice is to enjoy the ride in the present, because the future is going to be rough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Roy is correct.    enjoy KG and Pierce  while you can.   When they are gone.....it may be LONG time before the Celtics have Hall of Fame player on the team once again.

I treasure every game they still suit up for.......win or lose

Or just become a Laker fan .....you are  entitled to instant gratification and revolving door of mega stars every year,any year ,who ever they want , money no object.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is it fool's gold?  I don't know.  I can't say if this level of play will continue or if we're about to see another 6 game losing streak.  I tend to think not, but we'll see.

I do agree with those who suggest that the ceiling for this team is still the same, which is to say that they have a shot against any team in the East except for the Heat -- though I'm not so confident against a big team like the Pacers or Knicks.

All that means is that I feel more or less the same as I did prior to Rondo's injury.  If it's possible to get a decent return on Pierce and Garnett, meaning youngish assets who are similar in value to players we could hope to get in the mid to late lottery in the next couple of years, then I'd be for that. 

In other words, if DA could turn Pierce and Garnett into Eric Bledsoe, Deandre Jordan, and Harrison Barnes, for example, I'd be very disappointed if he didn't pull the trigger. 

However, I have serious doubts that that sort of return is really on the table.  If it were, Pierce and Garnett would have been traded by now.

That said, I'll be disappointed if Ainge doesn't make any moves prior to the deadline.  At the very least I think he should be looking to unload Jason Terry to save salary this season and the next two seasons.  If any team is willing to take on Bass, provided they give us back a rotation-worthy big or two in return, he should be gone, too.  I'd like to hold onto Courtney Lee, because I see him as a good value now and in the future.  But I'd be okay to see him moved in the right deal (e.g. to make a Pierce/KG trade work).

Ainge should be (and is, I think) in total asset-acquisition mode with this team.  Anybody who is strictly a "win-now" player should be on the block.  But, that's not the same thing as being in firesale / tank mode, which is why it seems very unlikely Pierce or KG will get traded (and DA has said as much).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:01:08 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I have no idea what mind of move the OP is proposing?  None at all?

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

Would rather see a total rebuild starting NOW!

Droop and Roy both with good points---whenever KG/PP are gone things will be bad. I just believe we'll get back to competitive sooner, if we start rebuilding now.  If the building blocks to that are such that Droop mentioned, and Danny were to be offered Bledsoe and Jordan, while not ELITE at the present time, doesn't mean they couldn't be down the road--and you have to pull the trigger on deals like that, rather than lose KG/PP for nothing! If you could further get a HBarnes or a KLeonard,Splitter, etc in a separate deal, you'd already have a bunch of pieces to build on. Something Danny could work with, rather than waiting a couple of years.
The reason the last few years have been so nice is that every year we've had a SERIOUS chance to win a title. I just want to get back to having that kind of chance sooner, than just playing it out and watching KG and PP ride into the sunset!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No Fools Gold here... just because you guys didn't believe it to be the case, and suddenly we playing well now contrary to your initial believes, doesn't invalidate the capacity of this team.

I don't know why you see our future as grim and are terrified of it, as far as I'm concern we have this team for 2-3 more years, with opportunities to improve each and every year, and after that we'll have ample opportunity to upgrade the team with a lot of cap flexibility and tradeable assets.

The only thing I'm really worried about is about Danny overreacting to how a team played for half a season.
Agree the future is not so grim. Who knew Ainge would trade for KG?  I have faith in Danny and I CERTAINLY do not think he will overreact.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think the win streak could very likely be fools gold....I also want to ride it out and see for myself.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Droop and Roy both with good points---whenever KG/PP are gone things will be bad. I just believe we'll get back to competitive sooner, if we start rebuilding now.  If the building blocks to that are such that Droop mentioned, and Danny were to be offered Bledsoe and Jordan, while not ELITE at the present time, doesn't mean they couldn't be down the road--and you have to pull the trigger on deals like that, rather than lose KG/PP for nothing! If you could further get a HBarnes or a KLeonard,Splitter, etc in a separate deal, you'd already have a bunch of pieces to build on. Something Danny could work with, rather than waiting a couple of years.
The reason the last few years have been so nice is that every year we've had a SERIOUS chance to win a title. I just want to get back to having that kind of chance sooner, than just playing it out and watching KG and PP ride into the sunset!

You probably have a point, but I don't think any sort of good trades for the Celtics are about to happen. No one will hand over their young pieces on a silver platter for veterans that easily.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Starting rebuild effort sooner doesn't mean you'll get into contention sooner than you would have otherwise. It could potentially retard when that occurs, like what happened with the Detroit Pistons.

And, the most likely scenario is that when you rebuild getting a team like we currently have now is pretty much what you'd be aspiring to pretty much unless you get extra lucky and get a player that comes once or twice in a decade, something we currently have actually, and still playing at a high level.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't know what "fool's gold" would be.  If we go .500 on the road would it be? When we had Rondo and Sully we got blasted on the road by horrible teams and didn't win a game on that Sac trip.

Of course we are going to lose some games.  There hasn't been a team yet that hasn't lost some games.  But my eyes don't lie, we are playing a lot harder and better since Rondo went down.

I'm not saying that it is Rondo's fault.  Maybe when he is there everyone expects him to do too much and they lower their games.  I think everyone has to admit we have played better over this stretch of 6 games than at any other point during the year.

I'd take my chances riding this group, then hope Pierce and KG come back for one more shot with a healthy Rondo and Sully.  At the deadline next year Pierce will be expiring and KG might be ready to retire at the end of the season.  We could get the same package next year we'd get for them now.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Starting rebuild effort sooner doesn't mean you'll get into contention sooner than you would have otherwise. It could potentially retard when that occurs, like what happened with the Detroit Pistons.

And, the most likely scenario is that when you rebuild getting a team like we currently have now is pretty much what you'd be aspiring to pretty much unless you get extra lucky and get a player that comes once or twice in a decade, something we currently have actually, and still playing at a high level.

I agree with you that rebuilding likely means that the most realistic "positive" result is a team that is more or less as competitive as the one we have now.

The difference is that a rebuild would hopefully get us a team that can be this competitive for 4-5 seasons at least.  Whereas this team has a shelf life of the rest of this season and then maybe next season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
First off, don't get me wrong---the last few games have been great! Best part of the season to this point! Really surprising, considering RR and Sully injuries, and unexpected. However--trying to keep things in context a bit--5 of those 6 games were played at home, against some pretty bad teams, or the Clips minus CP(who have been pretty bad without him!). The Heat took a Hurculean effort to just barely pull it out, ON OUR HOME COURT! So while this little streak has been fun, let's not get carried away.
After our next game against Denver, we start a stretch of 10 of 13 ON THE ROAD! Also the 3 at home are against some pretty decent teams(Chi,GS, and Atl). Problem is most of that schedule is AFTER the trade deadline!!!  I'm afraid that Danny is lured into believing that this recent run is the real deal, does nothing, and then we start going down the tubes when the schedule gets tougher, and then it's too late to do anything!
I just keep looking down the road, post KG/PP(whether that is after this season, or next perhaps), and things look REALLY grim!!!  RR, damaged goods right now(though he should be back full strength in time), Sully(he will never be the same--and we should trade him for whatever we can get as soon as he comes back!), nothing for KG/PP, and only a single draft pick this year! Doesn't leave you with a whole lot! And not much of anything to do future deals with either--RR,AB, and maybe JG if he continues to step it up and gets to that next level!
Just terrified if Danny doesn't move now we're in big trouble! We've got four games before the deadline, so how we do in them could also have a big impact on his thinking!
We'll see!!!

What trades for either pierce or KG have you seen that have been super enticing though?

Forgive me for not jumping out of my chair for deandre jordan and eric bledsoe, or anything pierce might fetch at this point.

There is no reason to trade our core now just for the sake of getting a few role players. You're not speeding up the rebuild process by acquiring mediocre to average assets for pierce and garnett. The way to properly rebuild is to either trade your core for high draft picks (which aint gonna happen now), or after your core leaves/retires, suck it up big time to get early lottery picks, which you can then develop or trade for a new core.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?