Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs (JVG Let Go)  (Read 19169 times)

Re: ESPN Layoffs (JVG Let Go)
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2023, 04:08:42 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sadly, Gambling is becoming a New way for Networks to make money.
Have you noticed all the ads and affiliations with Gambling? That is because there is a Ton of money there.

There is Not a ton of money at the Networks anymore , they are looking for ways to bring in money.

Funny, They Trashed Pete Rose for supposed gambling, But if the Networks can Make money, suddenly it okay.

Don’t think this gambling boom will last all that long. Most people lose money on it and some of the sites were basically operating Ponzi schemes to get people to sign up (2k in free bets if you deposit 2k)
Funny how fast the Networks jumped into it though. Many of those same Networks ran stories on how gambling can ruin lives, or stories about Charles Barkley and Micheal Joran and their gambling issues.

Then They turn around and Team up with them.

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2023, 04:13:22 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
CBSSPORTS.com

Top DraftKings, FanDuel daily Fantasy baseball picks, lineups, strategy, advice for June 30, 2023

All the Sports Networks are doing now, because they can make money.

Sorry, But for me, Giving advice on Lineup strategies for Gambling Is Not the Job of a Sports Network!

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2023, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Good. I am fed up of listening to that trio.

Need some fresh blood in there. Get rid of Mike Breen too. That guy is so bland he is irritating.

Ha ….yeah they suck  :D

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2023, 05:04:21 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Yeah I'm not sure gambling will become less integrated with professional sport in any of our lifetimes.

The problem, at least to my eye, is that with the perilous media landscape as well as the current economy, ESPN has essentially come to the same conclusion that many print publications, especially local print publications, did 20 years ago - it doesn't make sense to pay for high quality people when they don't have an easily tangible impact on their bottom line. It's the same problem The Atlantic is having right now, it's the same problem National Geographic is having right now, it's been a distressingly difficult circle to square since the first wave of the internet when we all collectively decided that our default position as Netizens is that we won't and shouldn't pay for information.

The difference now, I think, is that before, when people who worked in traditional media were starting to be forced to move to the Internet, there was an Internet to move to. There doesn't seem to be an obvious migration target now.

That, coupled with the fact that I can get better, more nuanced analysis on the Celtics here than I can most places (and I would say certainly better than every place without a paywall), means its once again very difficult for people who's careers are based on providing this service, especially when, according to the beancounters, there's no meaningful difference between JVG and Perkins when it comes to making money.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2023, 05:04:38 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Not a lot of great NBA media personalities out there. I Thought JVG was one of the better ones.

His brother, on the other hand, is dreadful. I muted most of the games past the 1st round this year because he and Reggie Miller just unbearable.

Also, I'm surprised to hear so many like Malika Andrew's. She was the primary host of ESPNs draft coverage this year and had absolutely zero presence or charisma. Bring back Rachel Nichols, please.

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2023, 05:16:32 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
Yeah I'm not sure gambling will become less integrated with professional sport in any of our lifetimes.

The problem, at least to my eye, is that with the perilous media landscape as well as the current economy, ESPN has essentially come to the same conclusion that many print publications, especially local print publications, did 20 years ago - it doesn't make sense to pay for high quality people when they don't have an easily tangible impact on their bottom line. It's the same problem The Atlantic is having right now, it's the same problem National Geographic is having right now, it's been a distressingly difficult circle to square since the first wave of the internet when we all collectively decided that our default position as Netizens is that we won't and shouldn't pay for information.

The difference now, I think, is that before, when people who worked in traditional media were starting to be forced to move to the Internet, there was an Internet to move to. There doesn't seem to be an obvious migration target now.

That, coupled with the fact that I can get better, more nuanced analysis on the Celtics here than I can most places (and I would say certainly better than every place without a paywall), means its once again very difficult for people who's careers are based on providing this service, especially when, according to the beancounters, there's no meaningful difference between JVG and Perkins when it comes to making money.
This is pretty Spot On!

Paywalls do suck, but I would rather pay for a specific thing That I really want than pay $150/month for 800 channels I will Never watch!

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2023, 05:21:46 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Paying Stephen A Smith all that cash, they got to do some cutting
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 05:28:27 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
Paying Stephen A Smith all that cash, they got to do some cutting
:laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2023, 05:59:01 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

This is pretty Spot On!

Paywalls do suck, but I would rather pay for a specific thing That I really want than pay $150/month for 800 channels I will Never watch!

Thanks, and I agree with you :)

I think it's a really difficult problem to solve, especially when times are tough. If voting with my wallet means that I'm left listening to Stephen A and Perkins, that's a lose-lose, because the broadcast monopoly will still be there, even though the quality has dipped.

In terms of supplemental media, I'll admit that I'm a part of the problem, because even when I pay for some things, I certainly engage with a lot more content that I could pay for and don't.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2023, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
They should def lose Doris Burke and Mark Jackson.

Hope they don't lose Mike Breen. His "bang" always get me hyped.

TNT crew so much better. Sometimes watching those four are much better than some of the games itself.

This. They are both god awful.

Both are awful, my wife knows when Doris is calling a game bc the TV is on mute.  I can’t stand the constant fawning over the star players that she does and her comments about the whole Enes Kanter/Lebron thing really annoyed me.

Sad to see JVG and Jalen Rose go, both always seemed to tell it like it is
Greg

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I like Van Gundy as an analyst. He has interesting insights and isn't afraid to criticize. But he's also fair. Doris Burke has a grating voice and doesn't know when to shut up and let what's happening on the court tell the story. She also rambles and then backs herself into a corner and winds up saying something stupid. If she's doing a game, I won't watch it - unless it's the C's and there's no local broadcast.
She sucks.

Breen is a good pbp guy. But other than that, with now JVG gone, there's no reason to watch an ESPN game unless you turn the sound down.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:54:27 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2023, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Doris can be annoying, but she sometimes has good socio-basketball commentary.

Mark Jackson is easily the most annoying commentator.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2023, 11:08:39 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

You make some good points. However when it comes to magazines like National Geographic - and newspapers - the reason they've disappeared is you have a couple of generations of folks who don't read and don't value quality journalism. They'd rather get their news from watching an influencer on social media.  Journalism has gone the way of rock n' roll music. Folks would rather watch Woj tweets saluting the agents who tipped him off to the massive free agent deals signed today.

But as far as sports on TV, it remains very valuable at least for the leagues collecting the rights fees. Those continue to rise. ESPN's struggles, I think, are a result of poor management.

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2023, 07:34:12 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
I would say that there’s not a significant different between the Skip Bayless or Bill Simmons of yesteryear and a social media influencer, but you do make a good point that there are quite a few people, in general, who are naturally incurious and have that inclination regularly reinforced.