Author Topic: Brutal Reality Check: This Team Won't Win Championship this Season  (Read 6708 times)

Re: Brutal Reality Check: This Team Won't Win Championship this Season
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
My guess is we're pretty settled on taking the 5th spot and picking it up again when the playoffs start. Sounds like both Kyrie and Horford are planning to take games off down the stretch.

I bet Ainge is more concerned about AD than the playoffs at this point.

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Celtics are a work in progress. The media decided they were going to win the ECF this last off season.

As I've droned on before? No team is going to roll with no front court and the Celtics just plain don't have one.

I'm glad they have Irving, but, his presence on the team just proves that your point guard can score a ton and play his brains out and your still going to get pushed around underneath without a front court.

All this being said?

The 76'ers had to get rid of Smart and Embiid had to play the third best statistical game of his career to beat the Celtics by three in their home court last night. They' are 2 and 6 against the Celtics in their last 8. The 76'ers do not want to play the Celtics in the playoffs. If they end up avoiding the Celtics in the playoffs this spring? They will release the freaking confetti on their basketball court in the middle of the night.

In turn, the Milwaukee Bucks do not want to play the Celtics in the playoffs. Drew Bledsoe was a quarterback on a football team.

Raps and Pacers are a worry and a basketball team needs tall guys with long arms whom are competent to win big games. The rim is ten feet off the floor....it's a proven concept.

Height is an asset.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:50:54 PM by tstorey_97 »

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Considering the chances were less than 10% to start the season its really not a "Brutal Realty Check"   I still think they could get hot and make it to the finals....   So lets not get all willie Nillie.   
Diggles

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Considering the chances were less than 10% to start the season its really not a "Brutal Realty Check"   I still think they could get hot and make it to the finals....   So lets not get all willie Nillie.

Yeah.. our odds have hardly moved since the beginning of the season. I am honestly a bit perplexed by how people are acting on here. We lost on the road last night by 3 point missing hayward, smart and baynes. Even with just hayward and smart I am pretty sure we win that game. Our guys ran out of gas without them.

I have also seen some people suggest we are definitely getting 5th. This doesn't even seem based on reality. We are one game behind pacers (who by the way have lost 3 in a row and 6 our of 9 with their next 4 games coming against warriors, nuggets , thunder and us. If we are going to all panic like crazy can we at least keep it loosely based on fact?

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 03:11:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I am one of the most upbeat, optimistic Celtic fans you will find.  Yet when I researched the last 20 years of NBA championships, my gut reaction was very negative. I have ridden up and down the ride this entire season, watched every game, many of them more than once, and wanted to believe that we were somehow better than our record indicated. 

Now I am very skeptical that we are.  Just our lack of consistency, as Danny recently pointed out. I wrote the OP here before the game last night, and thought we played pretty well all things considered. This topic is more a reflection of the body of work we have produced for the season, which is not impressive.

And while most of us did not think we would win a championship this season (actually, I did at the beginning, which further frustrates me), how many thought we would struggle to even win 50 games? Did anyone even predict that at the start of the season?

How I hope we can buck history and make it all the way to the finals and/or win the championship.  But record-wise, that would appear to be an extreme long shot.

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I had arranged to take annual leave in June with the hope of returning to Boston to watch the Celts win it all like I did in 2008. Last week I cancelled my leave.

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It has been a lost season.

No real development of our young stars Brown and Tatum.

No improvement either of role players like Rozier and Theis.

And no opportunity for the young guys to learn the NBA for Williams, Ojeleye and Yabusele.

Morris has had a strong shooting year, but will leave in free agency.

Irving and Horford both have a year of their prime wasted.

Baynes has become very injury-prone and for Hayward it has been a battle all year long.

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The Celtics are a work in progress. The media decided they were going to win the ECF this last off season.

As I've droned on before? No team is going to roll with no front court and the Celtics just plain don't have one.

I'm glad they have Irving, but, his presence on the team just proves that your point guard can score a ton and play his brains out and your still going to get pushed around underneath without a front court.

All this being said?

The 76'ers had to get rid of Smart and Embiid had to play the third best statistical game of his career to beat the Celtics by three in their home court last night. They' are 2 and 6 against the Celtics in their last 8. The 76'ers do not want to play the Celtics in the playoffs. If they end up avoiding the Celtics in the playoffs this spring? They will release the freaking confetti on their basketball court in the middle of the night.

In turn, the Milwaukee Bucks do not want to play the Celtics in the playoffs. Drew Bledsoe was a quarterback on a football team.

Raps and Pacers are a worry and a basketball team needs tall guys with long arms whom are competent to win big games. The rim is ten feet off the floor....it's a proven concept.

Height is an asset.

That would be the fault of this clown for not providing the team enough depth at center

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
My guess is we're pretty settled on taking the 5th spot and picking it up again when the playoffs start. Sounds like both Kyrie and Horford are planning to take games off down the stretch.

Not very smart is it?

Bypassing the importance of a deep playoff run and a shot at the champs whom many on this board say we match up really well against just to have a CHANCE at a guy who's only got a 1 year left on this deal.

Who's going to be the player he overlooks the playoffs for next season? Giannis ?

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Not very smart is it?

Bypassing the importance of a deep playoff run and a shot at the champs whom many on this board say we match up really well against just to have a CHANCE at a guy who's only got a 1 year left on this deal.

Who's going to be the player he overlooks the playoffs for next season? Giannis ?
Much smarter than going all in on a team has doesn't have a chance of winning a title. Don't you realize getting a AD-lite player has been the plan since day one? He isn't going to push all of his chips in until he has that type of player. It seems like people are forgetting that the final goal is banner 18, not "let's be a 50 win team for 10 years, and always be the bridesmaid".
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 10:56:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Not very smart is it?

Much smarter than going all in on a team has doesn't have a chance of winning a title. Don't you realize getting a AD-lite player has been the plan since day one? He isn't going to push all of his chips in until he has that type of player. It seems like people are forgetting that the final goal is banner 18, not "let's be a 50 win team for 10 years, and always be the bridesmaid".

Doesn't help that AD has one more year left on his contract, with no guarantees of re-signing. Convincing AD to stay long-term is already hard because the Celtics are not on his "preferred list of teams."

And if he does bounce to LA or NYK in 2020, then Ainge would have lost Tatum/Brown/Smart/Yabusele/four draft picks all for nothing.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Not very smart is it?

Doesn't help that AD has one more year left on his contract, with no guarantees of re-signing. Convincing AD to stay long-term is already hard because the Celtics are not on his "preferred list of teams."

And if he does bounce to LA or NYK in 2020, then Ainge would have lost Tatum/Brown/Smart/Yabusele/four draft picks all for nothing.

Not to mention you risk losing Kyrie in free agency with an early playoff exit, which means no AD.

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 12:29:12 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Not very smart is it?

Not to mention you risk losing Kyrie in free agency with an early playoff exit, which means no AD.
Do you honestly think Kyrie is gonna leave if he knows AD is on the way? No way. And about AD leaving, to win in the NBA, you have to take a gamble. I don't know about you supposed fans, but I'm confident enough in this organization, and this city, that we can convince him to stay. If Oklahoma City did it with Paul George, we can do it too.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum