34 (47.2%)
C+ / C / C-
16 (22.2%)
D+ / D / D-
5 (6.9%)
F
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade  (Read 5929 times)

Re: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 08:54:10 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Bye bye Cryee.  Hated losing Al but with that contract and his age Philly can have him.  Danny did a great job this summer.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 09:14:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
A -- Danny responded incredibly to difficult circumstances some of which were beyond his control (Kyrie) and some were not (Horford, Rozier, Morris).

The quality on the team today is far beyond my wildest expectations after Kyrie deciding to leave & Horford leaving for more money elsewhere.

Plus 1 here.  I’m excited for Walker, Kanter was a very solid signing for our room exception capable of really big games,  and I have a hunch Poirier will be a sneaky good signing.  We still have a roster spot open, and I feel really good about our draft picks.

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I will go with a c

Walker is worse than irving
Kanter is worse than Al.

Other than edwards I am not sold on the picks at all.

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Other outlets gave the Celtics a D because the loss of Irving/Horford/Morris/Rozier stings badly.

I'll give the Celtics a C though. The loss of Horford is just that huge, than losing Irving. Besides, they quickly got a replacement point guard. I would've given them a D though if they didn't pick up Kanter.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2019, 10:23:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
A -- Danny responded incredibly to difficult circumstances some of which were beyond his control (Kyrie) and some were not (Horford, Rozier, Morris).

The quality on the team today is far beyond my wildest expectations after Kyrie deciding to leave & Horford leaving for more money elsewhere.

I gave it an A- because Danny couldn't really control Kyrie leaving, so his real decision was on Horford.  In the short term losing Al will hurt a bit, but he wasn't worth that money for 4 years. Then, getting Kemba and Kanter were really solid moves, and I love his draft so far (hopefully Romeo justifies the 14 pick).

Agreed with both of these.  Our roster going into next season is better than what I was reasonably hoping for.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Tough to say.

He lost Irving and Horford and failed to bring in his #1 target in Anthony Davis so on it’s face it’s easy to say D.

However it’s hard to tell how much fault is there. Horford got overpaid, AD didn’t want to be here and demanded a huge haul. Irving is a lunatic.

I loved the Kemba signing and Lanter is an A+ value. I loved the Langford and Edwards picks and am optimistic about Poirier.

But the loss of Horford/Irving is just to substantial to give him a great grade even when considering context.

I’d say C+. Brutal start but a pretty good job of saving the offseason.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:31 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
A-

I think he did terrific. Getting Kemba to replace a problem is a huge positive. All things considered, he's not as talented offensively, but defense, presence, maturity, Kemba is an improvement.

Losing Al stinks, but not overpaying for him as Philly did will be a positive in 1-2 years. Al's best skill has been making players around him better, but let's be honest: Al provided little leadership last season, and didn't elevate the rest of the team. No other way to look at it when a team that talented accomplishes so little. 

Ainge also resisted the urge to throw away everything for a rent-a-Davis, which likely would have been one of the worst trades in team history.

The only move that bothers me is drafting Romeo, but I'm willing to see how he works out.

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 05:21:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bad draft and down graded the roster as a whole.

D+

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 06:06:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

D+
Care to give any reason why you think it was a bad draft? Who would you have taken?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:54 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I said B+.

Positive Grades:

A:  Adding Kemba Walker to replace Kyrie is huge, though that contract could hurt in year 3 and/or 4.  Completely ends the "free agents do not want Boston" B.S.

B:  Getting Kanter was also huge, to at least get an NBA starting-caliber center to replace Horford/Baynes.

B:  I am very high on the draft picks.

B:  Letting Morris/Rozier walk.

C+:  If Poirier can be as good as Theis, having both is not a bad backup set for the 4/5 position.

Negative Grades:

D:  Letting Horford walk to Philly.  I am shocked Danny could not figure out where he was going and at least match the offer.  What if Philly wins the East for the next 3 season because of that move?

D:  Roster as a whole looks much less talented.

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 07:44:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

D+
Care to give any reason why you think it was a bad draft? Who would you have taken?
Already went over the draft in the "post draft threads" and "draft day thread". Gave it grades and explained everything.

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Overall I would say a C

Kemba Walker I'm not as excited about as everyone seems to be. I'm just not crazy about volume shooting point guards, especially one that was #4 in the league in 3 point attempts last year and shot 35%, worse than Marcus Smart (if you thought we jacked up a lot of threes last year just wait...). I'm hoping he meshes well and sacrifices his stats here playing in the C's system, we shall see how it all works out.

Personally I liked the draft. Carsen Edwards looks like a guy that will probably contribute right away and give us a scoring punch off the bench. I like Grant Williams too, I know he's 'short' but I'll reserve judgement until I actually see him play some NBA games.

It's nice to have a real rebounding center in Kanter, though I hear his D isn't that great, I really don't know much about him.

Horford was a bad loss, but he was aging so I understand why DA wouldn't pay him what he wanted. He's the type of guy I would like to see working back in the C's organization after he retires.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 09:05:46 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just a follow up, I gave it a C but if Romeo pans out, it moves up to a B- if he's a scoring threat off the bench.

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kemba Walker I'm not as excited about as everyone seems to be. I'm just not crazy about volume shooting point guards, especially one that was #4 in the league in 3 point attempts last year and shot 35%, worse than Marcus Smart (if you thought we jacked up a lot of threes last year just wait...). I'm hoping he meshes well and sacrifices his stats here playing in the C's system, we shall see how it all works out.

Yeah, I expect Kemba to impede the development of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown -- because Kemba is too ball-dominant and too shot happy. Less overall opportunities for our young wings to grow. Hayward will want his touches too. There are just not enough opportunities on offense to go around.

So with Kemba signing, I believe it is time for Ainge to move away from a future built around Tatum-Jaylen and to trade one or both of those guys in an effort to build a better configured team. A team that has proper balance which this group does not. A team with less redundancy and more complementary skill-sets amongst it's stars.

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Anything but an F is delusional, imo.

We've locked ourselves into even more years of perpetual mediocrity, we massively overpayed for a C-level player, the freaking Lakers got the player Danny was targeting for years...

Ainge looks like a complete and utter dunce.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.