Author Topic: Potential cheap Monroe replacement?  (Read 6329 times)

Re: Potential cheap Monroe replacement?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Don't let Jahlil anywhere near Bob Williams.

I sure hope CB doesn't continue this "Bob" routine. Saying it once or twice is humorous. Repeating it over and over again when he doesn't like it is not funny.

Most everyone wants to be respected when called by their name. There may be personal reasons why he doesn't like that name or prefers Rob or Robert. We should respect that.

Nobody ever called Robert Parish "Bob".  Maybe we should call him Little Chief or something.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And, we can hope, on his pick and roll game.

Losing Moose does not hurt us in any way CBS never trusted him.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 02:30:13 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Finally we are stacked with Bigs and Jahlil freakin Okafors name gets brought up.... Sheeesh.

Without regards to Okafor, I think quite a few people would take issue with the notion that the team is stacked with bigs.
Those same people may carry around Old fashioned ideas of what constitutes a “big” in today’s nba.

Or they just may realize that the team's not actually stacked at the 5 position, regardless of current NBA trends.
There is no "5" position with us. We have Bigs, Wings, and Ball Handlers. Okafor is a slow plodding big man who can't play a lick of defense. He is a bad fit with us and in today's game which is why he couldn't even get minutes on the horrible Nets. We are certainly stacked enough with Bigs that Okafor is not someone we should consider for even a second.

Dress it up all you want.  The team still has a "5".  And I didn't advocate for Okafor.  I specifically noted that my post was without regard to him.  It's right there in what you quoted.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 02:33:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Finally we are stacked with Bigs and Jahlil freakin Okafors name gets brought up.... Sheeesh.

Without regards to Okafor, I think quite a few people would take issue with the notion that the team is stacked with bigs.
Those same people may carry around Old fashioned ideas of what constitutes a “big” in today’s nba.

Or they just may realize that the team's not actually stacked at the 5 position, regardless of current NBA trends.
There is no "5" position with us. We have Bigs, Wings, and Ball Handlers. Okafor is a slow plodding big man who can't play a lick of defense. He is a bad fit with us and in today's game which is why he couldn't even get minutes on the horrible Nets. We are certainly stacked enough with Bigs that Okafor is not someone we should consider for even a second.

Dress it up all you want.  The team still has a "5".  And I didn't advocate for Okafor.  I specifically noted that my post was without regard to him.  It's right there in what you quoted.
What contending team is stacked at the 5 though?
We have a similar makeup to other contending teams - 1 All-Star big who is an elite defender (similar to Capela, except he is not All-Star level, and Draymond [Cousins is an unknown at this stage]), and then good strong reserves in Baynes, Theis and hopefully RW3.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 02:37:03 AM »

Offline IndyCelt

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Don't let Jahlil anywhere near Bob Williams.

I sure hope CB doesn't continue this "Bob" routine. Saying it once or twice is humorous. Repeating it over and over again when he doesn't like it is not funny.

Most everyone wants to be respected when called by their name. There may be personal reasons why he doesn't like that name or prefers Rob or Robert. We should respect that.
I agree , nothing wrong with Rob , he isnt being standoffish with its only Robert  and fine with a short nickname good god find something worthwhile to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. about . Would you have called Parish Bob?

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 03:06:38 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

We have a similar makeup to other contending teams - 1 All-Star big who is an elite defender (similar to Capela, except he is not All-Star level, and Draymond [Cousins is an unknown at this stage]), and then good strong reserves in Baynes, Theis and hopefully RW3.

When you make Cousins an unknown without acknowledging the potential if he's healthy, you're cheating the discussion.  If he's healthy, the Warriors (since you brought up Draymond and Cousins) will have 5 all-NBA level players.  Nobody has a similar makeup to that, including the Celtics.

And it was another poster who made the claim that the team is stacked with bigs. 

This line of discussion was in response to that, not in response to a post about the Centers on Golden State and Houston. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:55 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We don't need Monroe replacement, we need a better player then he is. The ones that can log minutes in big playoff games.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
If we are really pursuing another big body on the bench what about Emeka Okafor? Solid vet, decent enough footwork to switch on defense. Did alright for the pels at the back end of last season. Why not hit him up?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Didn't you say solid vet that leaves out Okafor.  He has not played since the 12-13 season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okafoem01.html

Perhaps you should get out more?

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:09 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Didn't you say solid vet that leaves out Okafor.  He has not played since the 12-13 season.

He played in the nba last season and looked pretty good too

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lol, except he played for New Orleans following DMC going down, and was a good rebounder and defender for them.

Pretty poor attempt at being snide
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we are really pursuing another big body on the bench what about Emeka Okafor? Solid vet, decent enough footwork to switch on defense. Did alright for the pels at the back end of last season. Why not hit him up?

He’s still under contract with New Orleans is probably the best reason.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I'd rather bank on Theis and Baynes staying healthy enough to cover those minutes. With Horford's ability to play in the 5 spot, we should have more than enough coverage at this point.

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Robert Williams gets those minutes. With Baynes Horford and Theis all at the Center slot let the rookie get a few minutes ever so often.

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

When you make Cousins an unknown without acknowledging the potential if he's healthy, you're cheating the discussion.  If he's healthy, the Warriors (since you brought up Draymond and Cousins) will have 5 all-NBA level players.  Nobody has a similar makeup to that, including the Celtics.

And it was another poster who made the claim that the team is stacked with bigs. 

This line of discussion was in response to that, not in response to a post about the Centers on Golden State and Houston.
I'm not sure how we could be any better prepared to play Cousins than we already are. You'd want a center who could defend him, but could also take advantage of Cousins weaknesses. You'd want a mobile guy who could pull him away from the rim and make 3's. Someone who could outrun him and beat him off the dribble. Someone like Al Horford.

You'd also want a another quality big who was strong enough to give him trouble and hold his spot. Someone like Baynes.

Unless we can get Anthony Davis for nothing, I'm not sure what else we would want that we don't already have.