Author Topic: What direction should the rebuild take from this point on?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
The rebuilding effort has been...interesting, to say the least  ??? There's been lots of ups and downs and unexpected turns. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

(1) OKC's future is far more uncertain than ours... I find what Durant did to be dishonorable, but imagine how Thunder fans must feel... to find lightning in a bottle and draft 3 future-HOFers....and to have no titles to show for it. We should feel sympathethic (unless of course, you're from Seattle.. lol)

(2) The perception of Boston as a franchise that cannot attract big-name free agents has changed and will change from this point on. We signed a 30-year old Al Horford (an All-Star, still somewhat in his prime), and came within a hair of signing Kevin Durant himself. Once again, Danny shows he can swing for the fences, and even when he misses (as he has with the draft) you can count on him to do something big and bold! Let's be patient and see what else he can produce. There's still time, and there are still many assest at our disposable.

The question I have for you, is this:

Should we concede the League to LeBron and Golden State (accept that the NBA is theirs to run) and focus on drafting and developing players?

or

can we find a way to compete now and go for a title?

Re: What direction should the rebuild take from this point on?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It's like we've been building two separate teams

1: The win now team:

IT
Crowder
Bradley
Horford
Amir
KO
Smart

2: The rebuilding team:

Rozier
Mickey
RJ Hunter
Jaylen Brown
Yabusele
Zizic
Bentil
Jackson
Young
2 future Nets picks
cap space

At some point we have to pick a direction and go for it. Considering we just signed Horford, win now has to be our direction, otherwise he wouldn't have picked us, and we wouldn't have gone for him. I'm sure Ainge has several options already planned out to use our 'rebuild assets' to acquire another player or two for our win now team. I expect something to go down later this summer.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:11:08 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
This season the Celtics will be in their third consecutive playoff year, so the Celtics are not in a rebuild anymore. Plus we sign all star who can probably make us a 55 win team.

Celtics are a top 3 team in the east now and probably we can't beat Cavs but we are getting there slowly. This is a unique situation where one team is contending and rebuilding at the same time. IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Smart... are making us one of the best teams in the east but at the same time we got the 3rd pick on the draft.

So Celtics will win games be in the playoff and end up in second round/ conference finals and at the same time we will get another top 5 pick in 2017 and same for 2018.

What i say is that the team is getting better with qualitty and talent at the same time witch is very rare in  the nba. Look where this team got in 2-3 years. Ainge is fantastic and in 2 years time somehow the Celtics will be in the finals again

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
With the Horford signing, I think you have to compete now.  Just keep your best prospects and develop them as you can.  I think Ainge should make a trade before the Feb 2017 deadline.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Tough call. This move has really hurt my enjoyment of the NBA as a whole. If we could just add Cousins or Westbrook without giving up picks I think I'd feel now is the time but it doesn't seem realistic to me. However, through other posters good points about just signing our 1st big name free agent, even though maybe on the back 9, we may have to go hardest to have just an outside shot for the good of the future's franchise.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
This season the Celtics will be in their third consecutive playoff year, so the Celtics are not in a rebuild anymore. Plus we sign all star who can probably make us a 55 win team.

Celtics are a top 3 team in the east now and probably we can't beat Cavs but we are getting there slowly. This is a unique situation where one team is contending and rebuilding at the same time. IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Smart... are making us one of the best teams in the east but at the same time we got the 3rd pick on the draft.

So Celtics will win games be in the playoff and end up in second round/ conference finals and at the same time we will get another top 5 pick in 2017 and same for 2018.

What i say is that the team is getting better with qualitty and talent at the same time witch is very rare in  the nba. Look where this team got in 2-3 years. Ainge is fantastic and in 2 years time somehow the Celtics will be in the finals again

I am just so relieved Danny Ainge signed an extension. Gives me hope.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's like we've been building two separate teams

1: The win now team:

IT
Crowder
Bradley
Horford
Amir
KO
Smart

2: The rebuilding team:

Rozier
Mickey
RJ Hunter
Jaylen Brown
Yabusele
Zizic
Lentil
Jackson
Young
2 future Nets picks
cap space

At some point we have to pick a direction and go for it. Considering we just signed Horford, win now has to be our direction, otherwise he wouldn't have picked us, and we wouldn't have gone for him. I'm sure Ainge has several options already planned out to use our 'rebuild assets' to acquire another player or two for our win now team. I expect something to go down later this summer.

Yeah the rebuild team is full of potential. Some could bust out and be legit talent, some could have a slower upswing, but used for trade bait.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
How does the Golden State Mega-team impact our rebuild?

I think if GSW is gonna have a 3-6 year dynasty, we need to preserve our assets.

But, if we're a few pieces away from matching up well against them (even with Durant), then we should definately compete for a title..someway...somehow

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't think it changes too much.  We are a step closer.

Isaiah + Horford + One more guy + flexibility as far as future picks to add someone else + our current crop of  young players + Brad Stevens + Hard Work will equal a championship. 

that's my mathematical formula although some things can be substituted upgraded etc..

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't see much on the developmental team.

The time has come to cash in our assets and win more now. I'd make pitch after pitch for Boogie, using whatever assets it takes to get him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'd continue to roll with jaylen and smart. There isn't anyone the next upcoming drafts that are overly going to outdo them.  We do need to try to make a move for someone else though. 

I'd more look to move Crowder and future picks.  Whether that is palpable or will land us a guy like Love or Blake is something else.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We have cap space next year and Brooklyn's first round picks for the next two years.
We are going to get better and better.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Right now, Danny needs to be patient.  If a good deal for a franchise-altering star comes up, take it.  If not, then look to take another top prospect next year and hope that the team we put out this year is enough to attract one of next year's franchise altering stars.

If you can't get a franchise-altering star in a trade or FA, then you think about trading some of our guys and building for the future.  But until that day cones, you just focus on building
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We have cap space next year and Brooklyn's first round picks for the next two years.
We are going to get better and better.

This makes the most sense.  Why give up players?  Why not just go into next years crop and keep drafting upgrading our talent level.  We still have room for one more max guy.  We don't have to give up anything for that.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Draft with the long term in mind, only make trades where you receive more value than you send out (taking future contracts into account), and avoid handing out big long-term contracts to free agents unless they are impactful like Horford.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference