Author Topic: What direction should the rebuild take from this point on?  (Read 1869 times)

Re: What direction should the rebuild take from this point on?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Right now, Danny needs to be patient.  If a good deal for a franchise-altering star comes up, take it.  If not, then look to take another top prospect next year and hope that the team we put out this year is enough to attract one of next year's franchise altering stars.

If you can't get a franchise-altering star in a trade or FA, then you think about trading some of our guys and building for the future.  But until that day cones, you just focus on building

Well said.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We bring back Amir Johnson and/or jerebko then sign a veteran to a 1+1 for our remaining cap to retain flexibility for 2017.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 07:55:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Right now, Danny needs to be patient.  If a good deal for a franchise-altering star comes up, take it.  If not, then look to take another top prospect next year and hope that the team we put out this year is enough to attract one of next year's franchise altering stars.

If you can't get a franchise-altering star in a trade or FA, then you think about trading some of our guys and building for the future.  But until that day cones, you just focus on building

Well said.

Ditto. if the Cs make noise in the playoffs next year, the Cs should do pretty well with FAs next summer. Patience, patience.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Anybody who thinks they can now make a deal with Danny and take advantage of us losing out on Durant will be sadly mistaken.

Trader Danny is alive and well and isn't hanging his head on Durant's decision.  He gave it his all, and he's still in great shape going forward!  Adding Horford and Brown improves this team and, as of right now, we've only lost Evan Turner.  I will miss him, but wish him well in Portland.

What happens before the season starts?  Not sure who is left that would move the needle for the team, so maybe it's time to tell our young'uns to step it up and give them the opportunity to shine, at least on the second team.

The sun rose this morning...and will tomorrow.  Boston is still Boston.

Rak

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
With the Horford signing, I think you have to compete now.  Just keep your best prospects and develop them as you can.  I think Ainge should make a trade before the Feb 2017 deadline.

I agree with the "can't have it both ways" sentiment (ie "rebuild" vs "contend now"). But by the same token I don't think that a trade or a signing should be made just because we are in "contend now". The Cs are in a very good position, thanks to patience on the part of Danny. I like the course we are on, and think patience is still needed here. Save the assets for when a truly franchise altering FA becomes available. That might be soon (maybe Sacramento blow up? maybe Westbrook demands a trade?) or it might be at the deadline, or it might be next summer. But I think it would be the WRONG move to cash in all the chips now.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »

Offline blendahtom

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
We bring back Amir Johnson and/or jerebko then sign a veteran to a 1+1 for our remaining cap to retain flexibility for 2017.

This x 100000