Author Topic: Go Full Dukey - Brown for Carter Jr.  (Read 2381 times)

Go Full Dukey - Brown for Carter Jr.
« on: November 22, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybcusmkw

Not a perfect trade by any means, but hear me out.

While in theory the smaller, switch-everything lineup of Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford should work, I'm just not sure it translates to practice right now for a number of reasons - lack of definition of roles, too small upfront, Hayward's recovery, having younger guys in the mix not buying into lesser roles, etc. And while a similar system has worked at GS, they were all at much different points in their careers, which I think is a major factor of why it worked.

And I actually like Brown at the 2 much more than Tatum or Hayward, but I think trading Tatum or Hayward is not ideal at the moment - Tatum being too valuable with a higher overall ceiling and Hayward not fetching an ideal return right now when he's not fully back recovered, let alone the optics of trading him after last year's injury.

However, what this would do is better define our starting five's roles and give us a more appropriate power forward who is also versatile as a defender. Kyrie, Hayward (once fully recovered), and Tatum would then have more overall touches in the offense and could better serve as our offense's "Big 3" like they are designed to be, i.e. better fit in their roles.

Carter Jr. would also be a long-time starter for us with All-Star potential. And while I do think it's clear that his ceiling is lower than Brown's ceiling, he much better fits our team's needs right now (and probably in the future), and at this point with as much wing talent as we have on our roster, I don't think Brown could effectively reach his ceiling with us anyways. I also suspect he's not happy in his current role and thinks (likely appropriately) that his game is being held back offensively by such a role. I don't think you have that problem with a player like Carter Jr.

Carter Jr. would also have the added bonus of being a perfect Al replacement with the appropriate timeline, also giving us two more years on a rookie-scale contract to punt some of our financial issues down the road a year or two.

If we think we could play with Hayward/Tatum at the 2/3 (which I'm still not 100% sold on), then I think that lineup of Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Carter Jr., and Al fits really nicely together both now and in the future. It lets Kyrie, Hayward (once recovered), and Tatum take a more prominent role in the offense like their talent suggests they need, while having Horford and Carter Jr. there as defensive-minded but still competent offensive players capable of knocking down the open shot and finishing at the basket.

Not sure what else would need to be added to this deal to make it attractive enough for both sides, but I like it for both sides, as I could see Brown really excelling in Hoiberg's fast offense alongside Lavine and Parker.

What do you think? Is this a fair trade that would benefit both sides? I'd hate to lose Brown - who I do really like at the 2 long-term even if he's stunk it up this year - but I'm just not sure if we can really play all three of Brown, Hayward, and Tatum at the same time. And of all of them I think Brown makes the most sense as a trade candidate right now given the context of the team and other players.

Re: Go Full Dukey - Brown for Carter Jr.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not sure a team like Chicago is willing to move their  new crown jewel like that

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m a big Wendell Carter fan, and his contract is good so I’d probably pull the trigger. Would Chicago though? Not sure if they’d be ready to move their impressive rookie big just yet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I’m a big Wendell Carter fan, and his contract is good so I’d probably pull the trigger. Would Chicago though? Not sure if they’d be ready to move their impressive rookie big just yet
we'd have to sweeten the pot with the kings pick or something

At that point you're  overpaying... And I'm still not sure Chicago is interested in more lottery roulette

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
we'd have to sweeten the pot with the kings pick or something

At that point you're  overpaying... And I'm still not sure Chicago is interested in more lottery roulette
Exactly. Plus, you’d have to think they’d want to at least try the Markannen / Carter duo before breaking it up. In theory those two could really complement each other
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good idea...  :D

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Would be positionally satisfying, but I don't think either team would do it.  WCJ is still too fresh for Chicago to make any decisions.

I'm still very high on Brown.  Like anyone, he'll show more with bigger minutes.  Last year is more reflective of everyone on the team than this year's cluster whack.  Don't think Ainge has given up on Brown or will give up anytime soon.  (Doesn't mean he won't trade him if someone calls with the right deal)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Duke was in the NBA they would be a lottery pick.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I firmly believe in the concept 'sell high buy low', therefore almost by definition I couldn't approve such a deal.

And what about our draft picks? I think that those are the expendable assets to rearrange the team. Trading a player like Brown should bring back an All Star, so I would only include him in a blackbuster deal. Brown is struggling, but he showed during the playoffs what he's capable of. Players that can perform at that level and intensity are keepers.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with the OP- Brown has the higher upside but he will never reach his potential on a team constructed like these Celts.  Carter Jr would fit the team much better, and maybe if we had him Ainge would be less likely to break the bank to extend Horford.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Why massively over react to a bad shooting start to the season because that is all a trade of Brown is at this rate?

2. Chicago isn't going to move Carter, Jr this early in his career, especially since they like him so much.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Brown is a better player than Wendell Carter currently and also has higher upside.

It would be a talent downgrade to trade for Carter.  Why are we kicking in picks to 'sweeten the pot'?

If you are trading Brown, package him with a ransom for Anthony Davis.  Trading for Carter Jr. doesn't make sense.

Not to mention Brown is playing better and better lately, increasing his value.