Author Topic: NBA Passes Draft Lottery Reform...  (Read 7203 times)

Re: NBA Passes Draft Lottery Reform...
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean in some ways it actually helps the Kings pick. The worst case scenario was Kings get #1 overall but Pili keeps the pick and we get the Phili pick (likely much later). With the flattening out of #1 odds this scenario seems less likely. It really depends on where the pick falls. I

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This isn't good tbh, you'll see as near playoff teams suddenly draft a cornerstone due to the increased lottery odds, all this does is to ensure the worst stay the worst.
Near playoff teams or not, they are still eliminated and theyd have to be extremely lucky anyways if ever they do get a top 3 pick.
It may happen in the future but it won't be the norm though.

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It definitely helps our Memphis 2019 pick.

Not really...at least not yet. The pick is protected top 8 in 2019 and top 6 in 2020. In 2021, it goes unprotected. It is not really realistic to think that we will make it to 2021, even if they are horrible, since now there is a better chance that pick falls out of the top 8 or top 6.

Still, I am happy to have the pick and it gives us something to look forward to.

Why did they not put astop on picking 1st on consecutive years..somthing the Cavs have astonishingly accomplished in the past

I totally agree with this. I suppose an amendment will be made or perhaps they aren't worried about it as much with the worst teams having far less of a chance to actually get the top pick.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This isn't good tbh, you'll see as near playoff teams suddenly draft a cornerstone due to the increased lottery odds, all this does is to ensure the worst stay the worst.
Near playoff teams or not, they are still eliminated and theyd have to be extremely lucky anyways if ever they do get a top 3 pick.
It may happen in the future but it won't be the norm though.
That increased chance doesn't sit well with me, the increase should only go to the bottom 6-7 teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
As long as the Lakers always pick LAST and Celtics FIRST .....im Ok with the revisions

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As long as the Lakers always pick LAST and Celtics FIRST .....im Ok with the revisions
So you're happy to have the worst record in the league as long as the Lakers have the best one? Hmmmmm....
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This is a pretty decent summation of my thoughts.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/29/nba-draft-lottery-reform-adam-silver-76ers-suns-knicks-bulls
That's pretty close to how I feel about it as well. I always hate the kind of "real NBA fan" talk but I think he's right that a lot of those complaining about tanking aren't watching the Suns in Februayr anyway and real Suns fans know what's up. Just like Philly fans, as a group, were never really the ones upset about Hinkie's tanking (as far as I've experienced).

Anyway, this is the big point in the piece and what I've been saying about this lottery reform:

Imagine it's February 2019. The three worst teams will have an equal shot at landing the top pick to draft Canadian guard R.J. Barrett, and there's going to be some very real incentive for the fourth and fifth-worst teams to lose their way into that top three, while the three worst teams will try to out-lose them to stay there. That's five teams with compelling reasons to lose.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 02:50:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Infant given year there are only ever 5 or 6 teams that are struggling / tanking. Beyond that are the teams in transition or decline and then the playoff teams. What this new system largely does is spread the probabilities over the bottom 6 teams. So whilst it is still beneficial to drop to the bottom, the incentive is much lower now when compared to the benefits of building a team culture and trying to win. Those bad teams will still struggle to win even if they try, look at Brooklyn!

It's a good change that should have happened a while back. Imagine if the odds had been this way in the 2013 draft. Teams doing it the right way like Utah and us could have been rewarded and tanking teams punished until they started rebuilding like a proper team should.

It may even have the knock on effect of helping teams climb faster post losing as well. If they are encouraged to build a team and not just lose for a superstar then that can only benefit them.