Poll

Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?

No
18 (54.5%)
Yes
15 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?  (Read 7454 times)

Re: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons). He has great chemistry with the Jays and has already deferred to them in interviews by calling them the team's two superstars. He understands his role on the team.

I said a similar thing in the Nets thread when the Harden trade was completed, but having three elite scorers can be a plus - not a negative. You can always have two of Tatum/Brown/Kemba on the floor at the same time and that puts a lot of pressure on other teams.

In line with the last point - with the emergence of Pritchard, and Teague as another back-up, Smart should essentially be a wing at this point. We have a need at that position, not for him being a primary ball-handler. We need his effort on D and as a secondary playmaker. Let the other three guys initiate the offense.

The one thing we should all be happy about - and something that I was vocally confident about - is that Kemba moved like pre-injury Kemba. Of course we'll have to see if that lasts, but that player was a starter in the All-Star game last year. You don't trade somebody like that for Otto Porter. Let him get reacclimated and see where we are. We played pretty well even with a hobbled Kemba in last year's playoffs. One good thing to come of this is the death of the two-big line-up.

You really think Walker plus a 1st would net you Beal or Simmons? Two star players that are still in there 20’s vs an undersized 30+ year old guard, that has has chronic knee problems. I know as fans we overvalue our players, but dammmnn.

Oh, I don't think that deal is on the table; I was only saying that I have no interest in dealing an All-NBA talent for smaller pieces. Right now, Kemba is our only hope at having a big 3; if we deal him, then we need somebody like Langford or TL  to take a HUGE step forward...or make amazing use of our TPE.

Fwiw, I would be happy to give up Kemba, multiple picks, and multiple young players for a Simmons (or Beal) return. Not that I think either player is that much better (or better at all) than Kemba, but if we are talking timelines, then an argument can be made. Honestly, a healthy and engaged Kemba would be fantastic for PHI - and Simmons is apparently not untouchable.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:17:56 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons).
I am not all that interested in Beal but if we could get Simmons, great.  I would trade Kemba for Simmons and play Simmons as our PF/Swing.

Beal is a good player with value but just not what we need right now.  Simmons to me fits in.  Beal, not so much.  It would be good value though to get Beal, maybe a good start to a 3-way.

Beal is ridiculous. I’d trade Kemba for Beal, assuming he can play with Tatum (I know they’re friends, but friends are different from teammates).

I’d also trade Kemba for Ben Simmons. Even if Simmons can’t shoot, he’s still a terrific talent who changes the game on both ends of the floor. I’d play him at PG still and have him control the game, but still start Smart at the 2.

Sadly, we’re getting neither for Kemba. Kemba’s a terrific player and once he gets his wind and rhythm back, he’s going to remind us why he’s a multiple all star. But Beal and Simmons on this team would be sick as both fit well (which speaks to the versatility of Brown/Tatum)
- LilRip

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 03:49:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Don't think we can get fair value for him right now due to his knee issue. That being said, imo we cannot afford to use the TPE on a star player unless we trade Kemba for cap relief. If I were Danny, I'd be open to the idea of trading Kemba this summer for pick(s) + cap relief with the view to rebuilding the team on the fly around the Js. Plenty of teams will have cap space this summer. By doing this, we'd create an even bigger TPE of $36,116,200 (= Kemba's salary + $100,000).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:59:52 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons). He has great chemistry with the Jays and has already deferred to them in interviews by calling them the team's two superstars. He understands his role on the team.

I said a similar thing in the Nets thread when the Harden trade was completed, but having three elite scorers can be a plus - not a negative. You can always have two of Tatum/Brown/Kemba on the floor at the same time and that puts a lot of pressure on other teams.

In line with the last point - with the emergence of Pritchard, and Teague as another back-up, Smart should essentially be a wing at this point. We have a need at that position, not for him being a primary ball-handler. We need his effort on D and as a secondary playmaker. Let the other three guys initiate the offense.

The one thing we should all be happy about - and something that I was vocally confident about - is that Kemba moved like pre-injury Kemba. Of course we'll have to see if that lasts, but that player was a starter in the All-Star game last year. You don't trade somebody like that for Otto Porter. Let him get reacclimated and see where we are. We played pretty well even with a hobbled Kemba in last year's playoffs. One good thing to come of this is the death of the two-big line-up.

You really think Walker plus a 1st would net you Beal or Simmons? Two star players that are still in there 20’s vs an undersized 30+ year old guard, that has has chronic knee problems. I know as fans we overvalue our players, but dammmnn.

Oh, I don't think that deal is on the table; I was only saying that I have no interest in dealing an All-NBA talent for smaller pieces. Right now, Kemba is our only hope at having a big 3; if we deal him, then we need somebody like Langford or TL  to take a HUGE step forward...or make amazing use of our TPE.

Fwiw, I would be happy to give up Kemba, multiple picks, and multiple young players for a Simmons (or Beal) return. Not that I think either player is that much better (or better at all) than Kemba, but if we are talking timelines, then an argument can be made. Honestly, a healthy and engaged Kemba would be fantastic for PHI - and he is apparently not untouchable.

I like Kemba, but Beal is a better player in almost every possible way.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Are people just forgetting the great chemistry that Kemba had last year with the Jays?

He comes back, and when he was in the game, the plan was to feed him to get him acclimated to playing NBA basketball again. In many ways, I think it may have been more important to the team to get Kemba back up to speed than it was to win the game.

Kemba looked physically great. His speed and burst was there. His decision making was a bit slow and his confidence didn't seem all there yet. But it looks like the "Kemba is all done/Kemba will be a liability" crowd sure may have been completely wrong.

Let's get Tatum and Timelord back, Kemba integrated with the rest of the team and I think the team will start settling into roles they will be in the rest of the season.

There is no need to move Kemba. Especially since he is probably that consistent additional scoring threat this team can definitely use.

I don't remember any chemistry at all. We had 3, and sometimes 4, players that didn't need anyone else to score, and that can work OK in the NBA, but its not chemistry.

It looked bad because Kemba + Smart can very easily devolve into no ball movement. The difference between Friday and Sunday was absurd. Smart can't quite screw up ball movement alone, but he sure does his fair share, and if Kemba and/or Tatum is also out there and isn't scoring enough to make up for the lack of movement, its awful.  Tatum usually can score enough. Kemba has to be making shots to make up for his impact on ball movement and defense.

I was very disappointed in Kemba because he didn't appear to have thought through how to play differently. Instead, he tried to play exactly the same way as when he was the #1 option last year. Brown got enough shots, because he finds a way to have his spurts, but Kemba certainly didn't make any plays for him, or look for him.

Kemba didn't move the ball enough. And Marcus Smart is a problem that won't go away.

I agree with ya here . Kemba is an awesome dude. Although, I put it on Brad. I ha d to calm down because it’s only one game but I was worried this would happen and when Jaylen was t getting the ball and Kemba was dribbling 10 seconds off the clock getting nowhere I was all over Brad. I hope Kemba can play differently but I’m not hoop savvy honestly to know if that will work.

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Fwiw, I would be happy to give up Kemba, multiple picks, and multiple young players for a Simmons (or Beal) return. Not that I think either player is that much better (or better at all) than Kemba, but if we are talking timelines, then an argument can be made. Honestly, a healthy and engaged Kemba would be fantastic for PHI - and he is apparently not untouchable.

I don’t think we can get Ben Simmons either but a much lesser talent like Lonzo Ball who defends at a high level and moves the ball and doesn’t over dribble I’d like more with this team. Of course he’d have me yelling at the tv for being afraid to go to the foul line.

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
You know the story of the high mileage car , about   putting sawdust in the tranny to quiet it down to sell ASAP 

same with Kemba ...let him fly out the door while his knee an't squeaking.

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2021, 11:30:56 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Kemba has no trade value now.

He will have no trade value in a week.

By the trade deadline (March 25th), he may have trade value or he may have no trade value at all, permanently, until he becomes an expiring contract.

Maybe by the deadline, if he plays well and demonstrates durability, you could include enough add-ons to acquire Simmons or Beal, but I have strong doubts given that Kemba will be 31 in May.

It seems to me that the more realistic hope is that his recovery goes well and he becomes the third head in our three headed monster and we use our TPE to get our 4th best player.

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
What about kemba and smart for a better combo guard?  Let pritchard run point.

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What about kemba and smart for a better combo guard?  Let pritchard run point.

Yes, his name is Mr Beal

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2021, 01:27:23 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It’s nothnig personal for me with Kemba, but until a below 6 ft PG leads his team to a championsihp, i don’t wanna see another small star on our team. He was abused in the playoffs and that will look to continue, he simply cannot guard anyone and noz for lack of trying. .

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2021, 02:13:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

By the trade deadline (March 25th), he may have trade value or he may have no trade value at all, permanently, until he becomes an expiring contract.

Maybe by the deadline, if he plays well and demonstrates durability, you could include enough add-ons to acquire Simmons or Beal, but I have strong doubts given that Kemba will be 31 in May.

It seems to me that the more realistic hope is that his recovery goes well and he becomes the third head in our three headed monster and we use our TPE to get our 4th best player.
this.

No one wants kemba. End the trade ideas already

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

this.

No one wants kemba. End the trade ideas already

his momma do  :)

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2021, 08:42:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Celtics should not trade him.

He looked good for his first game back.   He still has rust.  And they overfed him.

Can we give them time to adjust to the changes before we just ship out last years all-star that fit so well with Brown and Tatum last year? 

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2021, 09:03:24 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He is both tradeable and not for trade. Walker is one of the best leaders and men in the NBA. Many teams would benefit from his presence.

On top of that, even with a sore knee in the playoffs, he was a very productive going against some really tough defenses in Toronto and Miami.

On a good team, Kemba Walker isn't a 30ppg guy, but he can provide consistent team offense and solid team defense. He will likely be a fringe all-star for the rest of his current contract.

Smart GMs know the value of Kemba Walker. He has not been traded because he is not for trade.