Author Topic: What are some of the most notable things you ever ate and what were the results?  (Read 51278 times)

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I studied abroad in Ireland for a semester, and that included doing my own shopping.  I was at the grocery store with one of my Irish roommates, who was living on his own for the first time.

We were in the freezer aisle, trying to stretch our money as far as possible, when we saw "30 hamburger patties" for the equivalent of about $4.

We thought we scored, until we got home.  The "hamburger" was white and looked chalky, and didn't look like any beef we'd ever eaten.  At that point, I read the box, and there was a small box on there that said something along the lines of "Does not contain more than 40% sawdust".  Seriously.  Sawdust.

Undaunted, we both decided to be adventurous, assuming that they weren't *that* bad.  They were.  We couldn't eat those things even when completely blitzed.  We tried pawning them off on other roommates, friends, etc., but nobody could get one down. 

It's definitely not as cool a story as some of here, but it still cracks me up.
I think sawdust was on the list of wierd things in Taco Bell meat.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I studied abroad in Ireland for a semester, and that included doing my own shopping.  I was at the grocery store with one of my Irish roommates, who was living on his own for the first time.

We were in the freezer aisle, trying to stretch our money as far as possible, when we saw "30 hamburger patties" for the equivalent of about $4.

We thought we scored, until we got home.  The "hamburger" was white and looked chalky, and didn't look like any beef we'd ever eaten.  At that point, I read the box, and there was a small box on there that said something along the lines of "Does not contain more than 40% sawdust".  Seriously.  Sawdust.

Undaunted, we both decided to be adventurous, assuming that they weren't *that* bad.  They were.  We couldn't eat those things even when completely blitzed.  We tried pawning them off on other roommates, friends, etc., but nobody could get one down. 

That is one of the funniest stories I ever heard and I will repeat it to many many people

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I once ate a full habanero pepper raw when I was 15. The results...well...they weren't so pretty.

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Best meal I ever had was a chateau briand steak with bernaise sauce from Twin Oaks in Rhode Island.  Very tender, good cut of meat.  The sauce served with it was very good, too.

In terms of quanity, I once ate 18 eggs cooked sunny side up, homefries and 8 pieces of white toast.

Also, 8 bacon cheeseburgers in one sitting, as well.

2 weeks ago had a 1.5 lb ribeye steak with salad, potatoes and chili at Texas Roadhouse.

Nothing crazy like rattlesnake or pig feet, but I've never been much of a venturer when it comes to food.

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I ate the Hanuka Armadillo and survive
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
anyone ever have deep fried Kool Aid? How'd that go? I find the concept amazing. Is it still in sugar form or something?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I guess there's also deep fried beer and deep fried lemonade. Any experience with that?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

That is one of the funniest stories I ever heard and I will repeat it to many many people
I told the truth and did repeat this story to many people

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
When I went to DC for the first time with my mom and dad as a family trip, and my dad thought it would be hilarious to trick me into eating chocolate covered crickets. Suffice it to say after that incident at 9, I have a cool way to freak people out.

I will basically try any form of insect to mess with those around me. I once ate a live scorpion with the stinger removed (granted scorpions are technically arachnids.) Swallowed it whole to the cheers of the locals who watched the tall white guy embracing their culture.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:57:11 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Alligator tacos. Alligator tasted like dry chicken tbh.

And then have had some interesting stuff from my Greek heritage:

Kokoretsi: lamb intestines wrapped around sweetbreads & other innards. It's actually quite good. It's not Greek Easter until you have it.

Magiritsa: Basically the same ingredients as kokoretsi but in a stew with some leaks/veggies. Personally, I've tried it once. I'm all set on it lol.

Patsa (tripe soup). Sounds gross. Kind of looks gross. Tastes good though. Thought my old man was nuts when he told me it was a popular hangover/post partying food in Greece. Shocked to find that he was right.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm trying to make a Jamaican beef patty gyro to see what will happen

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
back when I wasnt vegetarian (or rather a non-meat eater) I had kangaroo meat and turtle soup.
Roasted lamb head was arguably the fave dish of my non vegetarian self. Particularly enjoyed the tongue and eyes.

Btw, snails as well as octopuses are pretty common in Greece, and IMO they are both delicious if properly prepared (in the case of octopus, grilling is the best option IMO).