Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread  (Read 206546 times)

Re: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread
« Reply #405 on: January 18, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Bane is just going to be one of those picks that haunt me....

Just made for Brad’s offense.

Let's hope Nesmith picks it up at some point. But, yeah, in hindsight, I think if Danny knew Bane would be available at #30, it would have made a lot of sense to trade #14 for a future similarly rated pick.

I don't think Bane has star written all over him or anything, but at least he would be playable right now.
You don't draft players to be playable in a contending team's rotation after 11 games. You draft them to be developed to reach their ceiling years from now....on their 2nd or 3rd contract.

How about we give Nesmith more than a few games into his rookie year before deciding, in hindsight, it would have been better trading that pick for a future pick. Nesmith could well have a Terry Rozier-like developmental curve.
Can you provide examples on prior or current teams that were capped out with multiple max players? Or that’s new long term strategy that Danny has come up with...

« Reply #406 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I was thinking about Nets brown last year when I was looking at the pistons roster and recent 2nd round picks they don’t give playing time. My reasoning is that after they gave away Middleton and Dinwiddie maybe brown is the next diamond in the rough.
What a hit by the nets to trade for him in December

« Reply #407 on: January 18, 2021, 09:54:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Let's hope Nesmith picks it up at some point. But, yeah, in hindsight, I think if Danny knew Bane would be available at #30, it would have made a lot of sense to trade #14 for a future similarly rated pick.

I don't think Bane has star written all over him or anything, but at least he would be playable right now.
You don't draft players to be playable in a contending team's rotation after 11 games. You draft them to be developed to reach their ceiling years from now....on their 2nd or 3rd contract.

How about we give Nesmith more than a few games into his rookie year before deciding, in hindsight, it would have been better trading that pick for a future pick. Nesmith could well have a Terry Rozier-like developmental curve.
Can you provide examples on prior or current teams that were capped out with multiple max players? Or that’s new long term strategy that Danny has come up with...

Look at the Nuggets.  They took Michael Porter Jr. for upside.  Same thing with the Bucks and Giannis.  Dozens and dozens of guys are picked based upon projections and upside, not based upon the production they’ll give immediately.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #408 on: January 18, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Look at the Nuggets.  They took Michael Porter Jr. for upside.  Same thing with the Bucks and Giannis.  Dozens and dozens of guys are picked based upon projections and upside, not based upon the production they’ll give immediately.
Eh that’s not what I asked.

MPJ was considered one of if not the most talented player in his draft... his injury concern was what took him down the draft order...

« Reply #409 on: January 18, 2021, 10:11:19 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Insane 4th quarter on the Nets Bucks game.. 1st seed again!! 😬

« Reply #410 on: January 18, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Nesmith definitely needs a chance. He might not show much this year but he does have skills.

« Reply #411 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not going to answer your question because it isn't pertinent to the topic at hand. If you are drafting in the lottery, you are drafting for upside. Sure, players can come in NBA ready, but even lottery picks don't come in ready to contribute to winning, nevermind players drafted farther down in the first. The overwhelming amount of players drafted, yes, even in the lottery, simply aren't ready to contribute in a meaningful way, right away.

And if you are drafting in the top half of the draft, you better be expecting game growth. And you need time to ascertain if they are going to develop.

Look at Smart. I think it's fair to say he is what he is at this point. He is better than when he was a rookie but by early in his second contract, it was clear he plateaued. Still, it took 5-6  years to figure that out. Look at Rozier, rookie year compared to now, in year six. Completely different player development arch, but at year 6, he is turning into a strong starter in the league.

My point stands. You draft players based on what they will be years later, not based on if they can contribute meaningfully right away.

« Reply #412 on: January 18, 2021, 11:09:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Harden seems to be fitting in very well with the Nets. Will be really interesting to see how he and Kyrie fit together. Durant can play with anyone.

Harden his first two games is really utilizing his play making skills.

This Nets team is a Problem.

« Reply #413 on: January 18, 2021, 11:21:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The nets are the 2009 thunder

Durant
Harden
(Ball hog point guard)
Jeff green
Skinny big (deandre Jordan instead of ibaka)

« Reply #414 on: January 19, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Warriors look like they can hang on against contenders but their bench is a concern.

« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2021, 12:31:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I like this Warriors team. They are showing grit despite the lack of experience.

« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2021, 12:47:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Always feels good seeing LeBron lose, especially when the refs do their best to gift him a win in the last 2 minutes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2021, 01:02:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like this Warriors team. They are showing grit despite the lack of experience.
not really a team. It’s steph curry and a bunch of other random scrubs lol

We never saw The full greatness of steph curry because every year he is surrounded by talent

« Reply #418 on: January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
538 has released its RAPTOR numbers for the 2021 season so far and while the sample size is minuscule (causing some of the numbers to look wonky), Jaylen looks quite good in it - he's tied for highest in WAR with Tatum (his overall RAPTOR is deflated due to his poor on/off RAPTOR, but it's primitive compared to more robust APM metrics and the sample size is ridiculously small for +/-). Good sign for people thinking that he's made the leap, if he keeps it up as the season progresses we might have 2 top 15-25 players on our team with another top 30 player in Kemba.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:38:39 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #419 on: January 19, 2021, 07:19:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
not really a team. It’s steph curry and a bunch of other random scrubs lol

We never saw The full greatness of steph curry because every year he is surrounded by talent
He looked greater surrounded by talent.  I feel bad for him because now he has to jack up difficult shots even when he's not hot.  The greatest 3 point shooter of all time is shooting around the league average so far this year.