Author Topic: Big Ten Expansion  (Read 28181 times)

Re: Pitt to the Big Ten?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Big Ten has formally reached out to Texas.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&M is required by politicians in the state of Texas, which would mean the Big Ten would go to 14 with possibly Oklahoma, Nebraska, or one of the eastern Big East teams coming along for the ride.  I've even heard rumors of the Big Ten adding 5 teams to go to 16.  If that happens look for Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Missouri to all enter the Big Ten.

This is of course assuming that Texas does in fact follow the money to the Big Ten, which is far from a given.  The SEC could also make a pitch for Texas, especially if it kept Texas out of the Big Ten.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Pitt to the Big Ten?
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Are the Syracuse; Columbia, MO; or New Brunswick, NJ markets that big, compared to Pittsburgh?  I disagree that Penn State has the Pitt market covered; they're three hours away from one another, and the surrounding communities are very different from one another.
TV markets, not actual location.  Syracuse basketball has enough clout that it could probably get the Big Ten Network on cable in New York City.  Missouri can get the Big Ten Network on Kansas City and the rest of St. Louis.  That is the key.  Penn State already provides the Pittsburgh tv market and the Big Ten Network is already on cable tv in Pittsburgh.

I read an article which hypothesized that Texas would leave the Big 12 and go to the Big Ten if asked.  Apparently the only two games Texas cares about in conference are Oklahoma and Texas A&M so it could play those as non-con games.  There is also a thought that if Missouri were to leave for the Big Ten, that Colorado would bolt for the Pac Ten and the Big 12 would collapse anyway.  If that is the case, why wouldn't Texas leave for the Big Ten.  It is obvious why the Big Ten would want Texas as it has the pull to get the Big Ten Network on Dallas, Houston, and Austin television which would provide a ton of extra dollars to the Big Ten.  And before anyone says this is crazy (aside from the possible conference implosion), the Big Ten's revenue from television was 242 million (evenly split at 22 million a team) while the Big 12's tv revenue was about 80 million (though it isn't an even split and Texas took in about 10-11 million of the total).  So just joining without additional markets gets Texas twice the tv revenue.  However, joining would not only get more revenue from tv in dallas, houston, austin, etc., it would also allow the Big Ten to have a football championship game which would be even more money.

I would have thought it was crazy before reading the article, but the article has me convinced that Texas should join the Big Ten.

All solid points. Pittsburgh adds little to no additional media coverage, whereas the inclusion of the New York market would be huge. Saint Louis would be a nice consolation prize. Pittsburgh, as Moranis stated very well, is already a Big Ten market.
St. Louis already has some interest because of ILlinois.  Missouri would definately tie up the whole city, but Missou wouldn't add a ton there and most of K.C. is Kansas not MIssouri, but there is some interest in K.C. for Missou so that would help.

I still think Texas is the school that makes a lot of sense after reading that blog I referenced.

I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense to Texas.  At some point, you have to consider the toll it would take on "student-athletes".  If they joined the Big 10, the closest geographic rival would be University of Illinois.  That's a pretty big geographic discrepency. 

That's a lot of travelling for the athletes (and time away from the classroom) not to mentioned much increased travel expense for the athletic program.

I think the idea that Texas only cares about two conference games is pretty exagerated also.   Did the article mention why they felt that way? 

The notion of Texas in the Big 10 just doesn't make much sense to me.  You can talk about additional revenue for the Big 10 and tapping into the Texas market but I just don't see much benefit from Texas' standpoint.  Its not like the Big 12 is a problematic conference, either.

Wow. Texas. I bet the Big Ten would salivate at the chance to recruit Texas talent.

Also Dons I have to highly disagree with your statement that colleges care about their athletes. They can't even pass rules requiring 40% graduation rates.

I highly highly doubt any school in the history of the NCAA ever said "We decided to leave $10mill per year on the table cause we were concerned about student athletes' schedules"

Re: Big Ten Expansion
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
According to ESPN, the Big Ten has offered conference spots to Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame, and Rutgers.  If all four accept then the Big Ten will extend an invitation to a fifth team (likely Connecticut, Syracuse, or Pittsburgh). 

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really hope Nebraska turns it down. Nebraska not in the Big 8/Big 12 and not playing Oklahoma and Texas and Colorado and the Kansas' just seems wrong.

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really hope Nebraska turns it down. Nebraska not in the Big 8/Big 12 and not playing Oklahoma and Texas and Colorado and the Kansas' just seems wrong.

Yeah, I'd like to see Nebraska stay in the Big 12, also.  Too many good rivalries. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Missouri jump ship, though.

Thinking the three most likely teams to join (if anyone accepts) would be Missouri, Rutgers, and Pitt.   Notre Dame will turn them down again. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
According to ESPN, the Big Ten has offered conference spots to Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame, and Rutgers.  If all four accept then the Big Ten will extend an invitation to a fifth team (likely Connecticut, Syracuse, or Pittsburgh). 

I really hope Syracuse stays out of the mix...they are a Big East staple and I really don't want to have to watch Big 10 basketball for the rest of my life...

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Nebraska will not turn down the Big Ten.  The only team that might is Notre Dame.  Dr. Tom Osborne was against the SWC expansion believing the power in the conference would shift to Texas, which it has.  Nebraska was opposed to the Big 12/Pac Ten network television talks for a myriad of reasons.  Nebraska just doesn't like Texas and will jump at the chance to make triple the money in a conference that doesn't have Texas.

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nebraska will not turn down the Big Ten.  The only team that might is Notre Dame.  Dr. Tom Osborne was against the SWC expansion believing the power in the conference would shift to Texas, which it has.  Nebraska was opposed to the Big 12/Pac Ten network television talks for a myriad of reasons.  Nebraska just doesn't like Texas and will jump at the chance to make triple the money in a conference that doesn't have Texas.
Maybe. If money is the motivating factor, then they jump. I hope not but they could

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do you have a link to that article?

I can't find anything stating that invitations were formally made. 

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 12:29:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Do you have a link to that article?

I can't find anything stating that invitations were formally made. 
all on the radio.  colin has been talking about it all morning.  apparently Andy Katz reported it, which matches a report from a KC radio station yesterday

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Maybe. If money is the motivating factor, then they jump. I hope not but they could
money is almost always the motivating factor.

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think the Big 12 might want to reconsider their revenue-sharing scheme.  This thing is looking like it might bite them in the butt. 

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think the Big 12 might want to reconsider their revenue-sharing scheme.  This thing is looking like it might bite them in the butt. 
even if they split it evenly it is still less then half what the Big Ten pays out.

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Rumors all over the internet that the Pac Ten is considering going to 16 by adding Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.  A&M is seemingly balking a bit at the idea as it wants in the SEC.  Texas is still talking with the Big Ten (Gordon Gee president of Ohio State has acknowledged speaking with his counterpart at Texas).  Still seeming likely the Big Ten will go to at least 14 with Missouri being almost assured as one of the new teams.

Ultimately nothing may happen or there might be four 16 team super conferences Pac 16, Big 16, SEC, and a collaboration of the remaining ACC/Big East teams.

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Rumors all over the internet that the Pac Ten is considering going to 16 by adding Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.  A&M is seemingly balking a bit at the idea as it wants in the SEC.  Texas is still talking with the Big Ten (Gordon Gee president of Ohio State has acknowledged speaking with his counterpart at Texas).  Still seeming likely the Big Ten will go to at least 14 with Missouri being almost assured as one of the new teams.

Ultimately nothing may happen or there might be four 16 team super conferences Pac 16, Big 16, SEC, and a collaboration of the remaining ACC/Big East teams.

I didn't think there was a chance that Nebraska would ditch the Big 12, but it's looking more and more likely.  Of course, it's looking more and more likely that there won't be a Big 12 anymore.

If Nebraska does bolt, I'll miss the games with Texas and Oklahoma.  Still, I think this may actually be better for their bowl hopes every year, as the Big 10 is simply a weaker conference than the current Big 12.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions