Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 274456 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #690 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Chimay's amazing (though I never liked the white), but it's not especially cheap.  Look for some Ommegang for some cheaper Belgian style beers made in America (Chimay owns them).

I starting to love Belgian beer.  The "white" citrus commercial ones like Hogaarden or lower level ones like Leffe Blonde are just "ok" though.

Never seen Ommegang before. I'll try it out.

You tried ABT 12 before?

Yeah.  Excellent beer.  But it's a bit much sometimes - can't drink the really heavy stuff very often.  I really like their Prior which is a little easier to handle.

yeah. It's not a beer you can drink too much of. Maybe 3-4 glasses? You can get full off of it

« Reply #691 on: September 26, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wild Onion Brewery's "Pumpkin Ale".

Not too shabby.  Had a couple of them on Weds night.  Definitely a serviceable pumpkin in a market that is currently flooded with a lot of pumpkins that tend to skew on the poor tasting side. 

My top 3 remains....Dogfish Head Punkin, Lakefront Brewery Pumpkin Lager, & Pumpking.  It'll will take a master feat for anything else to leapfrog into that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #692 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You know, the market for pumpkin beer market is definitely over-saturated for a supposedly niche product. I swear, for a supposed seasonal beer, I saw some of them on the shelves as early as August this year. I've had a few bad one I would definitely neither try again. My top 3 also include Dogfishead's Punkin Ale and Southern Tier's Pumpkin. The other in my top 3 is Shipyard's Bourbon Barrel Aged Smashed Pumpkin Ale. Beware though, the Shipyard "limited" release is quote potent (12% ABV).

And as for Belgian beers, I do like the Leffe Blonde. I'm a big fan of Abbey Ale's, but my favorite is La Trappe Tripel (Dutch). Hoegaarden is ok but rather bland, there are definitely better wheat beers available.

« Reply #693 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
You know, the market for pumpkin beer market is definitely over-saturated for a supposedly niche product. I swear, for a supposed seasonal beer, I saw some of them on the shelves as early as August this year. I've had a few bad one I would definitely neither try again. My top 3 also include Dogfishead's Punkin Ale and Southern Tier's Pumpkin. The other in my top 3 is Shipyard's Bourbon Barrel Aged Smashed Pumpkin Ale. Beware though, the Shipyard "limited" release is quote potent (12% ABV).

And as for Belgian beers, I do like the Leffe Blonde. I'm a big fan of Abbey Ale's, but my favorite is La Trappe Tripel (Dutch). Hoegaarden is ok but rather bland, there are definitely better wheat beers available.

Agreed on the over-saturation.  Every brewery & their mother is jumping on the pumpkin beer bandwagon these days.  Most are horrible.  Cough....Post Road Pumpkin Ale....cough.

It's tough seeing those things on shelves in August.  I cringe at it.

« Reply #694 on: September 28, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I had a Rochefort 8 last night for the 1st time and i was impressed by how good it was.

It is slightly easier to drink than the Rochefort 10 and i personally like it a little better.

Good Belgian beers i've tried so far

ABT 12 (not certified trappist beer)
Rochfort 10
Rochfort 8
Chimay Blue
Chimay Red (not as good as the guys above, still alot better than bud, coors etc)
Chimay White (dislike this one)

Still haven't tried yet

Westvleteren 12 (reading it taste like abt 12?)
Spencel trappist ale
Orval

There are some other "Trappist" beers i don't mind trying. But I'm reading some of the ones i've tried are considered the best anyways (including ABT 12).  Really want to try Westvleteren 12 , but it's not easy to find and expensive.

« Reply #695 on: September 28, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Westvleteren 12 (reading it taste like abt 12?)

I read once that Westvleteren 12 is almost identical to Bernardus abt 12 except that they use a different strain of yeast that's very rare.  It's supposed to be a very close match.  Never had it to compare, though.

Went to a beer festival last night and had some terrible pumpkin beers.  It's weird how otherwise good brewers have so much trouble making that style work.  I did have some amazing homebrews, including a mango habanero beer that was much better than the name would suggest.

« Reply #696 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wild Onion Brewery's "Pumpkin Ale".

Not too shabby.  Had a couple of them on Weds night.  Definitely a serviceable pumpkin in a market that is currently flooded with a lot of pumpkins that tend to skew on the poor tasting side. 

My top 3 remains....Dogfish Head Punkin, Lakefront Brewery Pumpkin Lager, & Pumpking.  It'll will take a master feat for anything else to leapfrog into that.

I enjoyed RedHooks Porter Pumpkin. I've been on a dark beer kick.

Was also crossing the border from MA into NH yesterday and was able to pick up Yeingling Lager and Yeingling Black and Tan.... What's the reason its not sold in NH? I know I've been told before but have forgotten.

« Reply #697 on: September 28, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Anyone pick up a twelver of Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp this summer?  12 different beers brewed collaboratively with other breweries around the country.  Some winners.  Some just ok.  Pretty fun concept though.
Yup

« Reply #698 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Got to try Lagunitas Sucks from the 40oz bottle. This is true:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/lagunitas-sucks-is-americas-finest-quart-of-beer-1631613802

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #699 on: September 29, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Had Southern Tier "Warlock" on Saturday night.  Imperial Pumpkin Stout.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/99558/

Super cool label with the pumpkin warlock cartoon.  I'm not a huge stout fan but wanted to give it a shot since they do a really good job with the Pumpking.   Pretty serviceable stout.  Nothing that really jumped out but a decent beer. 

« Reply #700 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i'm not a dark beer fan, but i was recently in portland oregon and tried the  Black Butte Porter Beer at Deschutes Brewery.  it was freaking awesome!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #701 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Super cool label with the pumpkin warlock cartoon.  I'm not a huge stout fan but wanted to give it a shot since they do a really good job with the Pumpking.   Pretty serviceable stout.  Nothing that really jumped out but a decent beer. 

See, this is informative, as I was going to buy this just the other day, but back off because of the $8a bomber price tag. Right  move it turns out.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #702 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

See, this is informative, as I was going to buy this just the other day, but back off because of the $8a bomber price tag. Right  move it turns out.

Yeah, I can't say I'd rush back to get another one.  I'd rather bounce back to the Pumpking if I'm staying Southern Tier.

« Reply #703 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just had a regular Bud and i couldn't drink it.  After tasting "trappist" style beers, i don't think i can drink any other kinds of beers again.

Dying for a Chimay blue right about now

« Reply #704 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I just had a regular Bud and i couldn't drink it.  After tasting "trappist" style beers, i don't think i can drink any other kinds of beers again.

Dying for a Chimay blue right about now
chimay is good, for sure. and if you like chimay i really, really, really recommend you try rochforte 10. trappist and even better than chimay....

but to keep with the thread, tonight, once again, i have started the autumn with the best seasonal beer i know.

sam smith winter welcome.

it is excellent, and as is the case with ALL good beers, needs to be consumed at room temperature. indeed, i have one in front of me as i type these words. it, and this thread, help me escape the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. storm of a thread that involves rondo and has degenerated into a series of petty and tedious personal arguments. sigh.

but then again, i have a winter welcome in front of me.  :) sometimes life is good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva