Author Topic: Interesting players to watch at combine  (Read 1487 times)

Interesting players to watch at combine
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
With the combine being held this week I wanted to point out some players to watch. With the draft express data base already having measurements from different camps and team USA events there isn't the same level of surprise with player measurements as there used. Some players may have grown/gained weight and the athleticism testing is interesting though it doesn't always translate to the court.

Players of Interest

Noah Vonleh, 2013 hoops summit his standing reach (SR) was 8'10. In my opinion if he he measured closer to 9' he becomes more of a 4/5 and not just a 4. Possibly raising his already high stock, and putting him ahead of Randle.

Doug McDermott, he was last measured at lebron/amare camp in 2012, then he was 6'8(in/shoe) and 223lb. I doubt he has grown at all but if he has and gained some weight he may be more likely to play more of a stretch 4 role rather then under athletic 3.

Aaron Gordon
, combine measurements could be huge for his stock, hoopsummit in 2013 he measured 8'10.5" SReach, 212lb, 6'11.5" wing, and 6'9 (in/shoe). USA basketball that year had him .5" shorter in wing and SReach, only 6'7 (in/shoe) and up to 220lbs. If he has grown a little (still only 18) and gained on the 220lbs (i expect he is 225-230) then he solidifys his safety net as a PF prospect for any teams that may not view him as a SF.

Nik Stauskas
, hasn't been measured since 2010, at that point he was only 16 and 6'5 (with out shoes) and 200lbs. I would think its safe to say Nik has grown from 16-20. At over 6'6 without shoes and 210+ lbs Nik will be able to play both wing positions with out being terribly undersized.

Klye Anderson, in 2012 at hoops summit he measured very well 9' Sreach, 7'2.5" wing, 6'8.5" (in/shoe) and 233lbs. Those are good sized PF measurements. If over two years Kyle grew at all he may be viewed as a point PF and not SF. This will also greatly help his defensive deficiencys.

Jerami Grant
, he had great measurements in 2013 9'0.5" Sreach, 7'2.5" wing and 6'6 (with out shoes) but only 212. With added weight he maybe able to get by as a small ball 4 if his perimeter shooting doesnt develop.

Isaiah Austin
, measured in great (9'3 SR) in 2010 but at that time only weighed 201lbs. Weight and strength will be huge for him in the pros. If around 245 I could see him making it to late 1st RD.

Patrick Young, last measured in 2009 at only 222lbs and 6'9(in shoes). I see him as a Perk/Joel Anthony like NBA player. He obviously is well over 222lbs if his reach is over or near 9' I wouldn't be shocked to see a contender reach for him in the late first.

Russ Smith, how small is he?

Nick Johnson
, in 2011 he measured 6'2.5" (with shoes). Doubt he is much bigger then that but any added height will help him as a combo guard

Thanasis Antetokounmpo he is smaller then his younger brother but looks proportionally as lengthy as giannis. If he has impressive measurements they along with his D-league production could go along way to get him drafted.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Interesting players to watch at combine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Noah Vonleh, 2013 hoops summit his standing reach (SR) was 8'10. In my opinion if he he measured closer to 9' he becomes more of a 4/5 and not just a 4. Possibly raising his already high stock, and putting him ahead of Randle. He did just that measured a 9' standing reach and did great on all measurables really helped himself in my opinion

Doug McDermott, he was last measured at lebron/amare camp in 2012, then he was 6'8(in/shoe) and 223lb. I doubt he has grown at all but if he has and gained some weight he may be more likely to play more of a stretch 4 role rather then under athletic 3. Actually measurmed smaller 6'7.75" in shoes and only 218lb. Tested better then expected athletically. He is not big enough to defend the 4 and I think this hurts his stock

Aaron Gordon, combine measurements could be huge for his stock, hoopsummit in 2013 he measured 8'10.5" SReach, 212lb, 6'11.5" wing, and 6'9 (in/shoe). USA basketball that year had him .5" shorter in wing and SReach, only 6'7 (in/shoe) and up to 220lbs. If he has grown a little (still only 18) and gained on the 220lbs (i expect he is 225-230) then he solidifys his safety net as a PF prospect for any teams that may not view him as a SF. He didn't get any bigger but killed in the athletic testing, in the end I think he helped himself with athleticism on display.

Nik Stauskas, hasn't been measured since 2010, at that point he was only 16 and 6'5 (with out shoes) and 200lbs. I would think its safe to say Nik has grown from 16-20. At over 6'6 without shoes and 210+ lbs Nik will be able to play both wing positions with out being terribly undersized. Came in at almost 6'7 in shoes but needs to add muscle 207lb 12.1%BF, tested well athletically should help his stock.

Klye Anderson, in 2012 at hoops summit he measured very well 9' Sreach, 7'2.5" wing, 6'8.5" (in/shoe) and 233lbs. Those are good sized PF measurements. If over two years Kyle grew at all he may be viewed as a point PF and not SF. This will also greatly help his defensive deficiencys. Same size and no athletic testing.

Jerami Grant, he had great measurements in 2013 9'0.5" Sreach, 7'2.5" wing and 6'6 (with out shoes) but only 212. With added weight he maybe able to get by as a small ball 4 if his perimeter shooting doesn't develop. Grew .5" and gained 2 lbs at very low 3.9BF, stock probably stayed same.

Isaiah Austin, measured in great (9'3 SR) in 2010 but at that time only weighed 201lbs. Weight and strength will be huge for him in the pros. If around 245 I could see him making it to late 1st RD. 220lb but very long 9'4.5" Sreach. Lack of bulk hurts him.

Patrick Young, last measured in 2009 at only 222lbs and 6'9(in shoes). I see him as a Perk/Joel Anthony like NBA player. He obviously is well over 222lbs if his reach is over or near 9' I wouldn't be shocked to see a contender reach for him in the late first. Weird, I think he sand bagged his reach 8'7.5" at 6'8.5"(without shoes) and 7'1.75" wing to help his vert 37.5", I think his stock is firmly at early 2nd.

Russ Smith, how small is he? Small 6'0.75", 7'11 sreach

Nick Johnson, in 2011 he measured 6'2.5" (with shoes). Doubt he is much bigger then that but any added height will help him as a combo guard. Came in at 6'3" in shoes but only 8'0.5" but very athletic, even undersized I think he goes early 2nd

Thanasis Antetokounmpo he is smaller then his younger brother but looks proportionally as lengthy as giannis. If he has impressive measurements they along with his D-league production could go along way to get him drafted. Hit a home run I think he goes late 1st, 6'6.25" 7' wing 8'8.5" with a 39" vertical, reports are he played really hard and hustled like crazy
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Interesting players to watch at combine
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Austin has really small hands