Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 29023 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2024, 10:57:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
The only thing that I can think of with ATL is that they think Penix will be an asset they can trade later.  If Cousins plays all 4 years of his contract, Penix will be 27 by then.  Penix is probably not happy about this either.  He is ready to be an NFL QB, not wait around to get traded or for Cousins to get hurt.  Or maybe they plan to trade Cousins if Penix works out?

I guess it is the most important position in sports, or so they like to say.  So maybe having redundancy or a back up plan will turn out to be smart.

There’s really no argument for Atlanta.  They won’t get #8 pick value for Penix if they try to trade him.  And Cousins has $90 million guaranteed of his $180 million, so trading him this year or next will create a significant amount of dead money.  It’s just terrible roster management.  Redundancy at QB is a luxury after you’ve filled most of your other needs — Atlanta still has needs, however, and they skipped out on a chance to fill one.

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2024, 11:00:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
The only thing that I can think of with ATL is that they think Penix will be an asset they can trade later.  If Cousins plays all 4 years of his contract, Penix will be 27 by then.  Penix is probably not happy about this either.  He is ready to be an NFL QB, not wait around to get traded or for Cousins to get hurt.  Or maybe they plan to trade Cousins if Penix works out?

I guess it is the most important position in sports, or so they like to say.  So maybe having redundancy or a back up plan will turn out to be smart.

There’s really no argument for Atlanta.  They won’t get #8 pick value for Penix if they try to trade him.  And Cousins has $90 million guaranteed of his $180 million, so trading him this year or next will create a significant amount of dead money.  It’s just terrible roster management.  Redundancy at QB is a luxury after you’ve filled most of your other needs — Atlanta still has needs, however, and they skipped out on a chance to fill one.

Yup.  The best value of an asset was when it was actually the 8th pick and not Penix himself.  As soon as the pick was used, it immediately lost value.

I'm baffled by this. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2024, 11:11:29 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

Yup.  The best value of an asset was when it was actually the 8th pick and not Penix himself.  As soon as the pick was used, it immediately lost value.

I'm baffled by this.
Completely baffling.  It would make some sense if they had drafted McCarthy who could use some time to develop.  But Penix is actually turning 24 next month and has 6 years of college experience albeit some cut short by injuries.  He needs to play soon not later.  With the talk of next year's draft being weak on QBs, could they try to trade Cousins after next season to a QB desperate team? 

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2024, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm baffled by this.
Completely baffling.  It would make some sense if they had drafted McCarthy who could use some time to develop.  But Penix is actually turning 24 next month and has 6 years of college experience albeit some cut short by injuries.  He needs to play soon not later.  With the talk of next year's draft being weak on QBs, could they try to trade Cousins after next season to a QB desperate team?

Cousins has a full no trade clause in the this new deal so he could tell ATL to get lost or I guess he could try and steer himself somewhere.

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2024, 12:19:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess Atlanta really liked Penix. If that’s the case, then I respect the decision. It’s not like Cousins is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. The plan here is to probably play him for a couple of years and then move on from him in favor of Penix after that. If the Falcons are faltering with Cousins, then I’m sure the leash will be short with Cousins.

Atlanta probably felt pressure to close a deal with Cousins when FA began. Both sides are probably regretting that decision a little right now.

The story here isn’t what a bad pick Penix was, but what a mistake the Cousins signing was.

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2024, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873

I'm baffled by this.

There was probably some reasonable trade interest in the pick, someone who wanted to jump over MIN to get McCarthy.  I certainly would have traded the pick over taking Penix.  You probably could have said to MIN, we are thinking about trading the pick to DEN.  MIN probably takes the bait and gives you something to move up.  Or maybe DEN would want to jump MIN to get McCarthy.  Hard to know for sure what options were available, but seems reasonable that there would be interesting in the pick.

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2024, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess Atlanta really liked Penix. If that’s the case, then I respect the decision. It’s not like Cousins is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. The plan here is to probably play him for a couple of years and then move on from him in favor of Penix after that. If the Falcons are faltering with Cousins, then I’m sure the leash will be short with Cousins.

Atlanta probably felt pressure to close a deal with Cousins when FA began. Both sides are probably regretting that decision a little right now.

The story here isn’t what a bad pick Penix was, but what a mistake the Cousins signing was.

What make it even crazier is that the Falcons tampered with Cousins to begin with

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2024, 12:33:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

No. It is what a bad pick Penix was. Signing cousins was not a mistake at all
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2024, 12:39:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

We don’t know the results of what will happen with either Cousins or Penix in their respective careers. It is all just projection at this point.

I am saying that Atlanta obviously valued Penix very highly based on their controversial draft choice. I respect the choice to take him, despite the backlash they knew would ensue.

It might turn out to be an enormous blunder, but at least they followed through with something they truly believed in and didn’t hold back simply because they had already signed a different qb.

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

We don’t know the results of what will happen with either Cousins or Penix in their respective careers. It is all just projection at this point.

I am saying that Atlanta obviously valued Penix very highly based on their controversial draft choice. I respect the choice to take him, despite the backlash they knew would ensue.

It might turn out to be an enormous blunder, but at least they followed through with something they truly believed in and didn’t hold back simply because they had already signed a different qb.

Either Cousins was a terrible signing or Penix was a terrible pick.  You don’t go off and sign a free agent QB for $45 million a year with $90 million guaranteed and then 7 weeks later draft another QB in the top 10.  Once Cousins was signed, a quarterback should not have been on the board in the 1st round.  By the time they signed Cousins, they should have been far along in their draft prep to know about their feelings with Penix.  If they loved him that much they should have pumped the brakes on Cousins, instead of committing more cap space to him this year than all their other free agent signings combined.  If they didn’t know they loved Penix that much, then that also shows a questionable draft process, considering they didn’t even bring him to Atlanta before the draft, so it’s very unclear what could have changed for them in that seven weeks.

This was simply terrible roster/asset management.

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2024, 01:24:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Either Cousins was a terrible signing or Penix was a terrible pick.  You don’t go off and sign a free agent QB for $45 million a year with $90 million guaranteed and then 7 weeks later draft another QB in the top 10.  Once Cousins was signed, a quarterback should not have been on the board in the 1st round.  By the time they signed Cousins, they should have been far along in their draft prep to know about their feelings with Penix.  If they loved him that much they should have pumped the brakes on Cousins, instead of committing more cap space to him this year than all their other free agent signings combined.  If they didn’t know they loved Penix that much, then that also shows a questionable draft process, considering they didn’t even bring him to Atlanta before the draft, so it’s very unclear what could have changed for them in that seven weeks.

You guys don’t get it, I understand that it’s terrible roster/asset management, I’m just saying if they really liked Penix that much, then I respect them for taking him. Yes, that would make the fact that they signed Cousins a bad decision. I mentioned that in my response.

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2024, 01:44:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm baffled by this.

There was probably some reasonable trade interest in the pick, someone who wanted to jump over MIN to get McCarthy.  I certainly would have traded the pick over taking Penix.  You probably could have said to MIN, we are thinking about trading the pick to DEN.  MIN probably takes the bait and gives you something to move up.  Or maybe DEN would want to jump MIN to get McCarthy.  Hard to know for sure what options were available, but seems reasonable that there would be interesting in the pick.

Allegedly the Jets were trying to trade up to #8 to get Odunze.  At the very least, you would have thought they would have taken whatever was offered there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2024, 02:32:19 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
AD Mitchell is probably the most talented player left on the board (or C Dejean.) I can't imagine the Bills not taking him in the slot before the Pats.

If AD is taken, they might want to trade down a bit. Some teams might be desperate to move up and snag Dejean or Newton. Alot of pundits have him ranked as a mid first round talent. I want a tackle, but the value might not be there with who is left on the board. Suamataia, Morgan, Paul, and the kid from Yale are all rated in the middle 2nd or early 3rd.

I also like McConkey. He may not be a "true" x receiver, but he is very talented.
#JKJB

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2024, 08:11:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
Draft guys - tell me about Ja’Lynn Polk.

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2024, 08:40:32 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596
Quote from: jambr380 link=topic=108772.msg3239099#msg3239Wed.

Idk date=1714149598

idk...I like the idea of drafting a guy who can sit and earn, but you do that with a younger guy.

Atl had the right idea, but picked the wrong guy. This vikes fan is happy they left JJ ...
Still don't believe in Joe.