Author Topic: Real news to bring???  (Read 9467 times)

Real news to bring???
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
I am new to this site and have enjoyed it for the most part, but is there any real news about the Celtics that can be reported.  The if and or buts are getting old.  I remember there were talks of us getting Beasley, then Odom.  trades of all sorts, sources say this and that.  Now I am aware that none of us are "sports reporters" but for once I would actually like to hear something about the team that is true.  Yes they are old, we all know that.  Yes they are not better than we think.  No we will not beat the Heat or the Bulls in the playoffs.  No Doc will not play unproven rookies.  So all this news on possible trades that never happened, got me excited for nothing.  No free agents or buy outs have been brought onto the team.  I do not care about Manning to the Broncos, no JJ Hickson going to the Warriors, or what Walker sells to get him out of debt. 

Maybe I am coming across rude or negative,I just want to actually hear a story that has some truth to it.  Doc reported the team is close to signing a big.  Does anyone know who that is or have an educated guess?  If so, will he help, will he start?  Sorry, I guess I am just a disappointed fan when seeing this team fade away before our eyes and there's nothing we can do about it.

Re: Real news to bring???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am new to this site and have enjoyed it for the most part, but is there any real news about the Celtics that can be reported.  The if and or buts are getting old.  I remember there were talks of us getting Beasley, then Odom.  trades of all sorts, sources say this and that.  Now I am aware that none of us are "sports reporters" but for once I would actually like to hear something about the team that is true.  Yes they are old, we all know that.  Yes they are not better than we think.  No we will not beat the Heat or the Bulls in the playoffs.  No Doc will not play unproven rookies.  So all this news on possible trades that never happened, got me excited for nothing.  No free agents or buy outs have been brought onto the team.  I do not care about Manning to the Broncos, no JJ Hickson going to the Warriors, or what Walker sells to get him out of debt. 

Maybe I am coming across rude or negative,I just want to actually hear a story that has some truth to it.  Doc reported the team is close to signing a big.  Does anyone know who that is or have an educated guess?  If so, will he help, will he start?  Sorry, I guess I am just a disappointed fan when seeing this team fade away before our eyes and there's nothing we can do about it.

Dont like it... Dont read it... Go to ESPN, they've got all the real news youre looking for.

Or maybe we can just call Doc to find out which big he is talking about... I mean I dont know why any media outlet hasnt thought of that yet.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Well I finish my Master yesterday, and its sunny in El Salvador.
My little girl learn how to say papa yesterday and
most likely Permafrost is the real deal for Jurassic Park to emerge.

All I have.

:P
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yes, you are coming off as rude and negative.

I can promise you that as soon as there IS real news to be reported, it'll be here pretty much first.  Plenty of times I've seen breaking developments posted on CelticsBlog before I see them on ESPN.

Until then, people are going to talk, be it about rumors, be it about Antoine Walker's troubles, be it about the NFl, or be it simple moaning about all the things Celtics fans  moan about.

You can read it, or not.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:44:02 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
I knew I would get bashed, youre  not getting my point.  I like the forum topics, I just wish there was some actual truth to some of these stories.  If a reporter can get Doc to say the team is close to signing someone then why can't we get a name or something.  No need for the bashing, I'm a 28 year fan I am just looking for news I can take with substance to it.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am new to this site and have enjoyed it for the most part, but is there any real news about the Celtics that can be reported.  The if and or buts are getting old.  I remember there were talks of us getting Beasley, then Odom.  trades of all sorts, sources say this and that.  Now I am aware that none of us are "sports reporters" but for once I would actually like to hear something about the team that is true.  Yes they are old, we all know that.  Yes they are not better than we think.  No we will not beat the Heat or the Bulls in the playoffs.  No Doc will not play unproven rookies.  So all this news on possible trades that never happened, got me excited for nothing.  No free agents or buy outs have been brought onto the team.  I do not care about Manning to the Broncos, no JJ Hickson going to the Warriors, or what Walker sells to get him out of debt.  

Maybe I am coming across rude or negative,I just want to actually hear a story that has some truth to it.  Doc reported the team is close to signing a big.  Does anyone know who that is or have an educated guess?  If so, will he help, will he start?  Sorry, I guess I am just a disappointed fan when seeing this team fade away before our eyes and there's nothing we can do about it.

The way it works is:

Step 1: Somebody says something to somebody who is or is not a 'journalist'
-This could be anyone from an actual source (like say Danny Ainge, or a GM, or assistant GM), a 'basketball source' (agents, entourage), or 'rumor' (they made it up based on conjecture from a tangential comment that might or might not be properly interpreted.

Step 2: A 'journalist' (again, very loose term here) writes something about what was allegedly 'said', often adding their own stuff on top.

Step 3: We post what the 'journalist' said here and get excited.

Step 4: Repeat.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
...  because Doc isn't saying!  Danny isn't saying! 

What are you expecting, really?

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I knew I would get bashed, youre  not getting my point.  I like the forum topics, I just wish there was some actual truth to some of these stories.  If a reporter can get Doc to say the team is close to signing someone then why can't we get a name or something.  No need for the bashing, I'm a 28 year fan I am just looking for news I can take with substance to it.

well there are some rules reagarding uncertain rumors
and in the NBA everything is a rumor until they decided to pull the courtain
so....
usually rumors are accompanied byt he good ol name ¨¨source¨¨  or "journalist" or ¨¨LeBron james mom¨¨
If youre lucky they call him CROTOR  8)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
...  because Doc isn't saying!  Danny isn't saying! 

What are you expecting, really?

I'm guessing he's taking frustration at the way modern sports rumors work and projecting it on to here.

WHich is understandable. As a mod I find it super-frustrating when rumors come out that have absolutely zero evident substance, even if in hindsight they turn out to be true.

This thread:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=54164.0

Really annoyed me. Not the OP, mind you. I'm sure he had good intentions. But the journalist wrote something he thought of and passed it off as rumor, and then we posted it here, and it gets spread around, and blah, and blah, and blah.

Its the way it is now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
Exactly indeedproceed.  My point exactly!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In terms of the forums, unless somebody is blatantly making something up, pretty much anything basketball-related can be discussed.  It's fan-driven content, so we don't say much about that.

In terms of the front page, we're a blog run by fans, as well.  While CelticsBlog has gotten big enough and legit enough to get press credentials, etc., we still get the vast majority of our content from other sources.  We have to make an editorial decision:  do we wait for deals to be confirmed and only comment on "news", or do we run with the rumors that are out there.

We try to find a middle ground.  We try to only take rumors from the media, and when we think a "rumor" is sketchy, we label it as so.  We try to give people lots of things to discuss, if they're so inclined.  However, they're only discussion points, and I don't think any of us are representing this stuff as a done deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let's face it, most of the time the pretend news is much more interesting than the real news. That's why we're all here.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
As others have said, when "real, substantative news" on the Celtics breaks, you're going to see it on the front page and all over the forums - you'd be amazed at just how closely some people on this site monitor twitter feeds and whatnot.

However, in the meantime, this is very much a community of people who are well educated on all things basketball and the more you look around/participate the more you'll probably end up learning as well. 

Welcome to the blog, don't be afraid of a tangent or two while we wait for "real news!"

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Yea, it does get old after a while.  Especially when rumors start flying around and they turn into nothing or are unfounded.  It keeps things interesting around here to say the least but I can do without an rumor update every two minutes about so and so coming here to the celtics. :-\

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33
How rude!