34 (47.2%)
C+ / C / C-
16 (22.2%)
D+ / D / D-
5 (6.9%)
F
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade  (Read 5924 times)

Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
So here's what happened during the offseason (in random order):

- Kyrie, Horford, Morris walked

- we traded Baynes + #24 to the Suns for Milwaukee 2020 first round pick (protected for selections 1-7 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021)

- signed and traded Rozier + 2020 Boston second round pick (protected for selections 31-53) for Kemba + 2020 second round pick from Brooklyn or New York (less favorable)

- waived Yabu (his $3,117,240 counts against the cap)

- drafted Langford at #14, G. Williams at #22, Edwards at #33 and Waters at #51

- signed Kanter with the room exception (2 years, 10 million, 2nd year is a player option)

- re-signed Theis (2 years, 10 million) and Wanamaker (1 year, I believe for the minimum)

- signed Vincent Poirier for the minimum

What do you guys think? Did Danny play his cards well during the offseason?

Re: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I give it a B.

Losing Horford hurts big time.

Losing Rozier and Morris are big +'s.

Losing Kyrie is a loss on paper, but it could help us long-term.

Losing Yabu is nothing.

We got Kemba, which is good. I also think we got Kanter on an absolute bargain deal. I further think we drafted well, and the assistant coach we hired (the former broadcaster) seems to be popular. If Poirier turns out a hit then a B+ would be fair.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Lemonade out of lemons, in terms of free agents.

I like the draft picks so far.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I gave it a C, for now. The front office seems to have done a pretty good job making chicken salad out of chicken Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but you know, it’s still not what you’d order off the menu at any restaurant you’d like to go to. Losing Al and Kyrie, and the dream of Davis, hurts; we look to be a step or two behind where we were hoping to be. I’m also not as high on Grant as some others are and Langford is a huge question mark.

Most likely I think we went backward. There are still lots of ways this could get better; maybe Langford and Hayward heal well and show out - giving us an option to move one of our wings at the deadline for a better center. Maybe the Jays make a leap and Lob Williams shows he’s ready. So that C is maybe the first quiz result. The midterm and the final are still to come.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You kind of have some details wrong, though it changes little. Yabu was stretched so his cap hit is only a little over $1 million per year for the next 3 years. Also, Poirier signed a two year deal at around $5.1 million total, not the minimum.

Overall I give it a C. Without Kemba and Kanter acquisitions, it's probably an low D-.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
C - lost a bunch of high value players for nothing and the team is worse on paper.   That said, bringing in Walker was huge and Kanter is solid value.  Good attempt at replacing some of the losses, but they are worse players overall and other losses weren't replaced.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A -- Danny responded incredibly to difficult circumstances some of which were beyond his control (Kyrie) and some were not (Horford, Rozier, Morris).

The quality on the team today is far beyond my wildest expectations after Kyrie deciding to leave & Horford leaving for more money elsewhere.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The results are worse than the previous season. Danny did well for the hand he was dealt, but for me, grades are about results, not the difficulty of the test or the intention of the test taker.

I gave them a C, because we got worse this summer. Danny did a good job rectifying a bad start to the offseason with Al and Kyrie leaving, so I can't go worse than C.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Ainge deserves a B for the quick recovery of the Kyrie disaster and retooling, I think the jury is still out on our big men and our draft picks.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So far, a C.

Loved the Kemba signing and liked the Kanter signing but we still have a gaping hole in our lineup at power forward.

I hate the idea of "small balls"

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Including everything, it's a C - we treaded water or are slightly worse but with a bit more growth potential.

In terms of Danny's job factoring in the things he couldn't control, B+ - he reacted to Kyrie and then Al leaving as well as could've been expected. Getting an impact vet big would've helped but there's no clear way to do that without paying extra to dump Hayward's deal, sending out Smart or losing one of the Jays, and I don't want any of those.

Cap people - if we don't trade Baynes we can't pay Kemba, right? Did the S+T affect that? If so I can't ding Danny for that either as much as I'd like Aron around.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Including everything, it's a C - we treaded water or are slightly worse but with a bit more growth potential.

In terms of Danny's job factoring in the things he couldn't control, B+ - he reacted to Kyrie and then Al leaving as well as could've been expected. Getting an impact vet big would've helped but there's no clear way to do that without paying extra to dump Hayward's deal, sending out Smart or losing one of the Jays, and I don't want any of those.

Cap people - if we don't trade Baynes we can't pay Kemba, right? Did the S+T affect that? If so I can't ding Danny for that either as much as I'd like Aron around.
It may have been a timing thing, meaning Baynes $5.4 million had to be off the books in order for some other things to happen, but I am not sure since I believe Theis was signed with cap space for almost exactly what Baynes made.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
  I give our off season a C+.  We lost some divisiveness and talent (ie. Irving, Rozier). We lost our most valuable player (ie. Horford ). And we lost some good role players (ie. Morris, Baynes ). However, we gained an all-star guard (ie. Walker) who has no baggage and reportedly is a team player. We gained a good offensive big who can rebound (ie. Kanter). I believe we gained a serviceable big in Poirier. I believe we added a reliable rotational scorer in Edwards and a tweener with much upside in G.Wil.  Of course, grading our off season does not factor in Hayward's expected return to borderline all star form; the growth of the Js,  the expected step R. Wil. will make and the expected benefit of having a TEAM, rather than a collection of individual players. I'm excited to see how this year's team performs.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
B to B+.

Thinking about the fact we lost 2.5 to 3 starters of the talent ability of Kyrie, Big Al, and then Morris kinda counts as half, and to still have a lineup that can contend for a top four slot or an ECF spot is quite amazing.

If someone had just woken up from a coma and you told then Kyrie and Horford are gone you’d say OMG were going to be a 20 win team. But the fact that we can potentially get to 45-50 wins deserves a B+ grade.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Losing Horford hurts big time.

Losing Al hurts. but considering the contract he got- we should be ok with his departure.