Author Topic: Update and thankyou  (Read 11944 times)

Update and thankyou
« on: November 01, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
First of all I want to say thank you to everyone for all the love and support from everyone in this community.  I am so humbled by it. 

I finally got a phone that I can use to post here.  The signal is still spotty at times but at least it will allow me to check in and maybe listen to some games.  Things are slowly getting better and I am thankful for that. 

This area was so devastated. I cry every time I drive anywhere here.  The storm took out every power pole and just about every tree. It was amazing that we had power back a little over 2 weeks.  We finally got running water back yesterday. 

We don't have cable or internet as yet and probably won't for awhile as they have to restring every line and reconnect every house in the county.

We don't have hot water since the gas lines have to be run again also.  Cold showers are the norm.  No air conditioning either as the ductwork has to be redone.  As with everything, they put you on a waiting list and it may be December before they can get to us.  Businesses will have priority.

We still have a big hole in both ends of the house but have tarps over the roof to hopefully keep the elements out.  It does leak still when it rains.  We have our name in with a few contractors but with every home and business  in the county damaged, even with contractors from out of state here helping, there is a huge wait for help.  It will probably be months until we can get it fixed.

Some stores and gas stations are opening finally, but there is a line to do anything.  So many stores will probably not recover from this. We are fortunate that we can still live in the house.  So many people lost everything. 

No matter where you go, the roads and streets are lined with trees that have been snapped off like twigs.  I posted some pictures on Instagram from my son's phone a week after.  It really looks like a war zone with so much destruction. 

I have missed my Celtics family so much and can't wait to be able to do game threads again.  I'm hoping Comcast hurries up and gets their lines up.  But even then, I'm not sure if they can run them into the house because of all the damaged on that end of the house. 

But please know that the second we get internet I will be back to doing game threads.  I love you all and will try to post more now that I have a phone that will let me. 

Re: Update and thankyou
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Prayers to u and all the people who was affected by this hurricane
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Glad to hear that there is some progress, at the very least. Sending out all my best thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Shirley.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Glad to hear you're okay and beginning to recover.  It will be great to have you back with biz as usual, but don't rush on our behalf - nick has been a first-class surrogate FLCeltsFan. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thank you Nick for filling in with the game threads.  I am so anxious to get back to normal and be able to watch the Celtics and do game threads.   It's been pretty tough having to miss games, not to mention living like a pioneer.  I love and miss you all.  It sure is nice to have a phone that works somewhat. 

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Still waiting for a contractor and roofer and tree guy.  Also getting jerked around by the insurance company.  No cable or internet still.  Comcast says they are working on it but no date as to when they will have it back up.  No home phone or hot water yet.  But we are still doing better than a lot of people.  I just miss the Celtics and everyone do much.  Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and still hanging in there. 

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 10:09:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still waiting for a contractor and roofer and tree guy.  Also getting jerked around by the insurance company.  No cable or internet still.  Comcast says they are working on it but no date as to when they will have it back up.  No home phone or hot water yet.  But we are still doing better than a lot of people.  I just miss the Celtics and everyone do much.  Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and still hanging in there.
Sorry to hear about the insurance company but during these disasters, unfortunately, the insurance companies always take their time trying to pay out as little money as possible. It's so sad. Hang in there Shirley. Ever want to talk you have my email. Just be safe and patient. Everything will be okay, eventually.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Fema finally got here today to put a blue tarp on the roof.  It has been really rainy and it will be nice not to have it leaking when it does.  I now have Sirius XM radio on the phone so I can listen to the games even though I still can't watch them.  Still no estimate as to when we will get cable and internet back.  I sure do miss doing the game threads.   This area is still so devastated.  But slowly we are getting better. 

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Fema finally got here today to put a blue tarp on the roof.  It has been really rainy and it will be nice not to have it leaking when it does.  I now have Sirius XM radio on the phone so I can listen to the games even though I still can't watch them.  Still no estimate as to when we will get cable and internet back.  I sure do miss doing the game threads.   This area is still so devastated.  But slowly we are getting better.
Hang in there! sad to see how long it takes to get a tarp over you roof.
We miss you here! 

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
hi flc. it is good to hear from you. i am troubled and worried that you have so many hurdles and challenges to still face. but i know you will overcome them.

we all miss you at CS and wish you the best. and of course, you can always count on a boatload of tps from everyone here, especially me.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Yea!  We got a tree guy who will come and help us get the multitude of downed trees off the property.  That is a big deal since we have at least 12 big pine trees that were snapped off by the winds and many are across the fence and one is still on our storage bldg that was demolished.  With the trees gone we can address all the stuff destroyed by the storm. 

We also got a contractor here finally but his estimate was high compared to the insurance estimate so we still need to try to get someone else to give us an estimate.   We are thankful to fema for putting a blue tarp on the roof this week so at least it won't rain in the kitchen and bedroom while we continue to look for a contractor. 

Still no cable or internet but we have seen cable trucks in the area this week.  Bless those men who were out there in the rain and dark still stringing lines.  They are still working on rebiulding their headquarters and grid but progress is being made. 

I can now listen to the games on Sirius XM radio on my phone.  Cell service is still not back to normal but is getting better. 

I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, with the wonderful people on this forum at the top of the list. 

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yea!  We got a tree guy who will come and help us get the multitude of downed trees off the property.  That is a big deal since we have at least 12 big pine trees that were snapped off by the winds and many are across the fence and one is still on our storage bldg that was demolished.  With the trees gone we can address all the stuff destroyed by the storm. 

We also got a contractor here finally but his estimate was high compared to the insurance estimate so we still need to try to get someone else to give us an estimate.   We are thankful to fema for putting a blue tarp on the roof this week so at least it won't rain in the kitchen and bedroom while we continue to look for a contractor. 

Still no cable or internet but we have seen cable trucks in the area this week.  Bless those men who were out there in the rain and dark still stringing lines.  They are still working on rebiulding their headquarters and grid but progress is being made. 

I can now listen to the games on Sirius XM radio on my phone.  Cell service is still not back to normal but is getting better. 

I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, with the wonderful people on this forum at the top of the list. 

Glad you're doing okay FLCeltcsFan, hopefully everything goes smooth for you!

Best of luck, we sorely miss you here at CelticsStrong!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
It’s amazing to hear about the devastation and the patience needed to get back to pre-storm day-to-day living.  Having had just a few days of relative  inconvenience from ice storms in recent years, it’s hard to fathom how stressful it must be for you and others in similar, or even worse, circumstances.  Disappointing that you can’t get the issues resolved sooner. But I guess everything gets put into perspective during difficult times.  I hope things get closer to “normal” as soon as possible.  Won’t erase the experience and the losses, but at least might feel more like you’re able to move forward rather than just clawing back to square one. 

As you can see, lots of thoughts and good wishes here for you and your family.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Best of luck to you and yours, FL.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Glad to hear things are at least getting better (slowly but surely). Miss your game threads and the comments from the other side on CG. Hope you can get back to a ‘normal’way of life soon!!