Author Topic: Daniels @ PG  (Read 4257 times)

Daniels @ PG
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
We have been talking about the possibility all summer. Now that it appears to be more than just a hypothetical, what do you like most / least about the prospect?

Most:
Eddie at SG seems to be big

Least / biggest questions:
Who backs up Paul?
Who guards Lebron?
What happens if Rondo gets injured?

What we seem to be missing is that Marquis can come in for Paul and then shift over to PG when Rondo sits (which will not be long if he is healthy). My problem is what happens if Rondo goes down. Now Eddie or TA or Lester need to step up.

We will win a lot of games on pure talent; but could be pretty sloppy until all the new pieces get integrated. Seems like with KG (and Rasheed) taking it slow could be a long ramp up till we reach full potential.

Re: Daniels @ PG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Point-forward. Need I say anything else?

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Exactly.  Eddie is only playing shooting guard on offense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Until I see how Daniels handles running the offense, I am definitely going to curb my enthusiasm over our PG situation.

I still say that Rondo needs a backup. A bona-fide, full-time, experienced point guard, for when Rondo needs a rest/needs to heal/has foul trouble. And, yes, I know they don't grow on trees.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Until I see how Daniels handles running the offense, I am definitely going to curb my enthusiasm over our PG situation.

I still say that Rondo needs a backup. A bona-fide, full-time, experienced point guard, for when Rondo needs a rest/needs to heal/has foul trouble. And, yes, I know they don't grow on trees.

I'd rather have Eddie House in the game than a guy like Tyronn Lue.  That's what it comes down to for me.  Eddie did just fine in our championship season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I'd rather have Eddie House in the game than a guy like Tyronn Lue.  That's what it comes down to for me.  Eddie did just fine in our championship season.

This is one of the little things in life not called Antoine, we disagree.

We get Sam because eddie enters a black hole in his game and was something like a mess playing pG and nobody was able to put the ball over mid court.
I am definetly NOT confortable with House as backup PG
now we have a Point foward and maybe he can get the ball up, but I havent see that yet so I will wait till pre season start.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

We get Sam because eddie enters a black hole in his game and was something like a mess playing pG and nobody was able to put the ball over mid court.
now we have a Point foward and maybe he can get the ball up, but I havent see that yet so I will wait till pre season start.

I've been an Eddie hater the past two years; however, I'm OK with the House/Daniels thing this year. for two reasons:

1) Rondo is going to play a lot of minutes, particularly in the playoffs.  And if he gets hurt, Tyronn Lue or other alternatives aren't going to magically save the C's season.  Two years ago, we couldn't make a statement like that.

2) The idea that Eddie House "can't play point" largely stems from what Detroit (most notably Lindsday Hunter) did to him two years ago.  That isn't happening this year.  More importantly, if a point guard like Hunter presses House, all he has to do is give it to Daniels, who will be guarded by a 2-guard who isn't used to guarding a ball-handler the entire length of the court. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:55:31 PM by Jon »

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1820

Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld are looking (point) forward to the coming season with Daniels.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:50:51 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

The team was 49-12 before Sam joined the team.  I think the team would have been fine had we never signed Sam.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
In January, I want to see multiple, giddy threads devoted to Ainge's swap of Tony Allen, cash, and a future 2nd rounder for Earl Watson.

Then I'll feel better about the point guard situation.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I've been an Eddie hater the past two years; however, I'm OK with the House/Daniels thing this year. for two reasons:

1) Rondo is going to play a lot of minutes, particularly in the playoffs.  And if he gets hurt, Tyronn Lue or other alternatives aren't going to magically save the C's season.  Two years ago, we couldn't make a statement like that.

2) The idea that Eddie House "can't play point" largely stems from what Detroit (most notably Lindsday Hunter) did to him two years ago.  That isn't happening this year.  More importantly, if a point guard like Hunter presses House, all he has to do is give it to Daniels, who will be guarded by a 2-guard who isn't used to guarding a ball-handled the entire length of the court. 

1. yup
2. yup

C's are as stacked as just about any team in the NBA. Also, there are expirings that can be used in a trade mid season, to plug a hole in the lineup. Until then, if it ain't broke...

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

Deja-vu? Feels like we're repeating ourselves over and over.

Yet House won't be playing PG for us. He'll be a 3rd stringer in that position, as far as PG duties go. And yet, during our championship playoff run, some of our most effective units came with House as our "PG". These units will be even more effective with Sheed in there.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
In January, I want to see multiple, giddy threads devoted to Ainge's swap of Tony Allen, cash, and a future 2nd rounder for Earl Watson.

Been there, done that on the Tony-to-Indiana talk.  It's not happening.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Been there, done that on the Tony-to-Indiana talk.  It's not happening.

Before Opening Night, no.

Midway through another moribund season in Indiana, when there's the opportunity for a lottery team to make some money and get a draft pick for an expiring contract? I think it's quite possible.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

From everything I've heard and what little I saw in that scrimmage, this is exactly what is going to happen.