Author Topic: Ainge: summer blockbuster trade for C’s is unlikely  (Read 4822 times)

Re: Ainge: summer blockbuster trade for C’s is unlikely
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If I'm Ainge I just trade Hayward and a pick and call it a day. He's an employee not your kid *wink wink Austin Rivers*. That's the best interest for the team in long and short term. If he leaves next year, so what? It's just like wiping Hayward's contract off the books. And Hayward would be going to the Spurs... under Popovich. It's not exactly trading him to the Kings.
kahwi is only marginally better than Hayward

What does trading Hayward get you? Alienates any future free agents from coming

Heck, forget alienates future free agents from coming.  Kawhi, Kyrie, and Al can all be free agents next year.  It might alienate them all from re-signing.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He says the same thing every year, whether the Celts are close to a trade or not.

That’s not completely true.  Calling the team a title contender is a definite shift in language.  I remember being annoyed with him at the 2017 deadline saying that the team wasn’t a true title contender.

I mean the part about major moves being unlikely.

I get that, but that’s kind of what I mean too. That he explicitly said the team was a title contender, in contrast to prior seasons, means that a major move is less likely. In the past he’d say that because such deals are difficult to make happen, but now there’s an added element that it might not be worth it, and he’s focusing on role players.

The other thing that's shifted dramatically is that we are now, by dint of our assets, culture and success, going to be mentioned in rumors about every single big-name player. Every lazy reporter who wants clicks will have an incentive to write up a "Player X to Cs" scenario, even if it's total hogwash.

And the players foster that too. Heck, even Paul George name-dropped us the other day.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
What I've learned about Danny is that anything he says publicly is to support a strategy he has thought out. I.E. his statement that he doesn't think a major trade will happen could very well mean it will.

In fact, now I believe it's happening.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
What I've learned about Danny is that anything he says publicly is to support a strategy he has thought out. I.E. his statement that he doesn't think a major trade will happen could very well mean it will.

In fact, now I believe it's happening.

What you really believe is telegraphed in your blog name, FWB!!

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If I'm Ainge I just trade Hayward and a pick and call it a day. He's an employee not your kid *wink wink Austin Rivers*. That's the best interest for the team in long and short term. If he leaves next year, so what? It's just like wiping Hayward's contract off the books. And Hayward would be going to the Spurs... under Popovich. It's not exactly trading him to the Kings.

You must be jokin

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 01:40:06 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Wrong. Kawhi is #2 or #3 coming off minor injury. Hayward is top 20 at best coming off breaking his entire leg. I’m not even sure we’d need free agents moving forward. Team would be set for quite some time. Besides, people come to a winner. Winners make good basketball decisions. This is a good basketball decision.

That isn't in our best interest at all. We have no clue how either will come back, but one is locked up long-term and wants to be here, while the other is a near certainty to bolt to LA after one year. Terrible idea.

And Pop is likely gone before too long. He doesn't want to coach a middling team, and with all the garbage he's had to deal with as of late I think he's earned retirement

Hayward at a max deal was good last season before we knew what brown and Tatum would be and before he broke his leg. The bar has now been raised. He wouldn’t get a max deal today on this team. If we get a Do over on his deal I won’t be mad.

Heck, forget alienates future free agents from coming.  Kawhi, Kyrie, and Al can all be free agents next year.  It might alienate them all from re-signing.

After winning the 2019 title, I’m sure they’ll all leave.

If you guys remove emotion from the equation, this deal would be a no brainer. He’s the weakest link and we all know it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:45:27 AM by Erik »

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Wrong thread post
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:42:43 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Boy is that a " Line "

Master of deception .

We don't believe Danny ....LOL

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good.

Stay the course, Danny.

We have RIGHT NOW what we need to get a shot at a championship. All you need is a SHOT...an opportunity.

THIS team - as presently constructed - has JUST that.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I agree with no blockbuster's necessary but will be extremely frustrated if Philly gets one or more of these top tier free agents.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I agree with no blockbuster's necessary but will be extremely frustrated if Philly gets one or more of these top tier free agents.
it seems to me that this board in general is extremely frustrated when danny doesnt trade with every team for every star in every off season.

i believe in ainge as a gm. he is thinking not just of this year, but of the next year and the year after that and so on. i am sure his nice spreadsheets of player salaries is matched up with his spreadsheet of free agents for future years.

he may be thinking that to tie up money today with a star-trade is to tie his hands tomorrow when another comes available and he will have more resources.

next, i am sure ainge explores dozens and dozens of trades each year without completing them. a number of his acquisitions took more than a year to reach fruition. he learns a lot about other gm trading styles, players, their value, etc. he sets the stage, finds out prices, talks with other gms all the time. not just for now, but for the future.

hence, celtics are in the news a lot as potential traders. ainge is preparing for the future as well as today.

if ainge thinks a big trade is worthwhile and doable, he will move ahead on it. but it takes two (or three) to trade-tango. other gms may be asking too much in ainge's eyes.

again, i trust ainge. he has assembled a [dang] good team and he hates to overpay. i think as constituted the celtics can win the championship this year. so, ainge will be careful how he tinkers with a championship contender.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lebron seems to be chasing Kawhi .

Not sure Lebron lands on Lakets 100 % ....if Spurs trade with Phily

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
for no other reason than to stir the pot and have people bark, i post the following:

paul george mentions the boston celtics as a potential destination.  ;D

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/6/28/17516382/nba-free-agency-2018-paul-george-mentions-the-boston-celtics-as-potential-destination
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
He is probably right. Woj said celtics are being cautious and wont make a risky trade....and they shouldnt.

While kawhi leonard makes us better next year. Trading a player who is younger, cheaper and locked up longer in Jaylen Brown for a possible one year rental is insane and I would be disappointed if danny did so

The team is set up now where when Hayward/Horfords contracts are up, Jaylens and Tatums are....I would rather see us contend for a decade than one year. 

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
for no other reason than to stir the pot and have people bark, i post the following:

paul george mentions the boston celtics as a potential destination.  ;D

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/6/28/17516382/nba-free-agency-2018-paul-george-mentions-the-boston-celtics-as-potential-destination

That's weird, but it definitely shows that the Boston Celtics are a primary free agent destination.

If Paul George opted-in and then signed an extension, would his salary for trade purposes still be the roughly 21 million of the last year of this contract, or would it be some kind of average?

Would OKC take back Brown, Smart (sign-and-trade 12 million), Morris, and the Grizzles pick? That is comparable value to what they traded for George (Sabonis and pre-all-star Oladipo).

OKC could then buy-out or stretch Melo to get under the tax.

You could argue that Westbrook-Smart-Brown-Morris-Adams is just as good as last year's team. Morris was better than Melo in every category (seriously, look at the numbers). Smart and Westbrook is the perfect crazy backcourt (can't shoot, but whatever). OKC controls Brown for at least 6 more years.

I've always been more of a fan of George than Leonard anyway.

I'm more of a fan of Brown than both of them.