Author Topic: Ainge: summer blockbuster trade for C’s is unlikely  (Read 4819 times)

Ainge: summer blockbuster trade for C’s is unlikely
« on: June 29, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23945615/boston-celtics-danny-ainge-calls-potential-blockbuster-deals-unlikely

"If I feel like it'll help our team -- we explore every trade of players of certain magnitude or superstar, first-ballot Hall of Fame-type of players," Ainge said Friday after the Celtics formally introduced first-round pick Robert Williams at the Auerbach Center. "We're going to take a look and kick the tires and see if there's something there. But that's all.

"I think those things are unlikely."

"I feel great that we have a lot of players that people like and want," Ainge said. "That's a great feeling to have. That's not always the case and that's the reason we like our guys, too, is we have a lot of talent on our team. I'm excited about our team going forward."

Ainge believes Boston is a title contender as currently constituted. The Celtics took the Cavaliers to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals before bowing despite playing without stars Irving and Gordon Hayward.

"Yes," Ainge said when asked if Boston is a title contender with this roster. "I felt like we were a title contender last year in training camp. I didn't think we were the favorites, but I felt like we were a contender."

"I think that most of [the rumors are] false. Especially the details of it," Ainge said. "And what I don't like about it is I don't like how names are just thrown around [in media reports]. [Reporters] probably don't care about the names, and that's your job is to make good stories and have things to talk about on the air. Most of it's not true, but there's sometimes bits and pieces of it that are true. So it's not total lies but -- I can't call it fake news -- but it's complex.

"These are complex situations and I think that, just like [reporters] don't like answering or having to respond to rumors, even though it does give you good programming, I don't like it any more, having to deal with the players that are calling me and the agents that are calling me when their name is in a rumor that's like just totally made up."

Re: Ainge: summer blockbuster trade for C’s is unlikely
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I think players need to understand that names being brought up in discussions doesn't necessarily mean the player is being actively shopped.  Sometimes it can just be a way to gauge the market for a player in terms of their value for potential contract situations in the future.

I know there is a fear that Kyrie might get soured on Boston again having his name brought up, but I think he understands the difference of his name being used in a conversation and a team getting to a point where they start actively putting things together.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He says the same thing every year, whether the Celts are close to a trade or not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
As expected.

Honestly, I think the biggest challenge for Danny this summer... will be doing nothing  :P

I mean, obviously negotiate with Baynes, Smart and others, and see if there's some vet. min like talent available (ring chasers). But in terms of big moves/trades, I don't think it'd be wise for us to do one. That said, Ainge is the kind of guy who will do anything to improve the roster and I'm sure there'll be times where he's itching to acquire someone, but that's the challenge. As Ainge also acknowledged, this is a championship roster as is. If Lebron leaves the East, that all but guarantees a Finals trip too (unless Sixers get a Kawhi or Lebron).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Also at the presser

“Danny look at the camera!”

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He says the same thing every year, whether the Celts are close to a trade or not.

That’s not completely true.  Calling the team a title contender is a definite shift in language.  I remember being annoyed with him at the 2017 deadline saying that the team wasn’t a true title contender.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That’s not completely true.  Calling the team a title contender is a definite shift in language.  I remember being annoyed with him at the 2017 deadline saying that the team wasn’t a true title contender.

I mean the part about major moves being unlikely. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I mean the part about major moves being unlikely.

I get that, but that’s kind of what I mean too. That he explicitly said the team was a title contender, in contrast to prior seasons, means that a major move is less likely. In the past he’d say that because such deals are difficult to make happen, but now there’s an added element that it might not be worth it, and he’s focusing on role players.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Also at the presser

Danny staring elsewhere: "Is that... a picture of Anthony Davis..."

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Also at the presser

OK, the top of Williams' head is not more than what, 4" above the top of Ainge's head?  But look at his shoulders, they are 6" or 8" above Ainge's shoulders.  Williams has a short neck (yes, length of neck has been discussed before).  He appears to me to be one of those guys that will play longer than his height measurement.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Also at the presser

Danny staring elsewhere: "Is that... a picture of Anthony Davis..."

:laugh:
I think it was Abby Chin off to the side there  ;)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Okay.....so someone had to post it. So why not me?

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
If I'm Ainge I just trade Hayward and a pick and call it a day. He's an employee not your kid *wink wink Austin Rivers*. That's the best interest for the team in long and short term. If he leaves next year, so what? It's just like wiping Hayward's contract off the books. And Hayward would be going to the Spurs... under Popovich. It's not exactly trading him to the Kings.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
If I'm Ainge I just trade Hayward and a pick and call it a day. He's an employee not your kid *wink wink Austin Rivers*. That's the best interest for the team in long and short term. If he leaves next year, so what? It's just like wiping Hayward's contract off the books. And Hayward would be going to the Spurs... under Popovich. It's not exactly trading him to the Kings.
kahwi is only marginally better than Hayward

What does trading Hayward get you? Alienates any future free agents from coming

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That isn't in our best interest at all. We have no clue how either will come back, but one is locked up long-term and wants to be here, while the other is a near certainty to bolt to LA after one year. Terrible idea.

And Pop is likely gone before too long. He doesn't want to coach a middling team, and with all the garbage he's had to deal with as of late I think he's earned retirement
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)