Poll

When all is said and done, who is gonna be considered the better player?

Brown
24 (50%)
Tatum
24 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Who's the better prospect? Brown vs. Tatum  (Read 4505 times)

Re: Who's the better prospect? Brown vs. Tatum
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Right now I’m pro Brown.

But seriously I think both has limited upsides. Brown can’t handle the ball and lacks the instinct of a scorer. Tatum is smoother on the offence but he can’t seem to pass his defenders, and he regressed massively on D.

I’d say both can end up borderline all star, not sure about after that.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Tatum.

But he's not being coached right and I also question his work ethic.

I don't know if last year got to his head but on the defensive end, he gets outworked and out hustled.

There was also a moment in the game today where Smart made a nice pass to Tatum right underneath the basket and he missed the layup.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
Brown has great attitude ....wel imthink so anyway ...  :P

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
Trade Tat er for Ja

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it's pretty even. I still see Brown as Jimmy Butler with a three point shot and Tatum as a skinny Paul Pierce. I think they can meet those expectations. Nothing this year has made me change my mind about that.

I think Tatum, in trying to expand his total game, expanded his game in ways this system isn't a good fit for. This is not a "give it to the guy and everyone else go to the other side of the court and let that guy do his thing" type of system. But he is intelligent and I think he will figure it out and take a big step forward next year or the year after.

Brown on the other hand appears to have worked on things that have enhanced his game in this system. And, except for a bad 20 game stretch to start the year, Brown has had nothing but a developmental curve that is increasing every year. He was better last year than the year before and right now, he is playing better than he did last year. He just keeps getting better.

And I think there is a lot of recency bias here. People think the better player is whoever happens to be playing better at that time, so yeah, in the first 20 games people where loving Tatum and hating Brown. Now because Brown is playing so well and Tatum isn't, people have changed their mind.

I think they are both future All-Stars.

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think it's pretty even. I still see Brown as Jimmy Butler with a three point shot and Tatum as a skinny Paul Pierce. I think they can meet those expectations. Nothing this year has made me change my mind about that.

I think Tatum, in trying to expand his total game, expanded his game in ways this system isn't a good fit for. This is not a "give it to the guy and everyone else go to the other side of the court and let that guy do his thing" type of system. But he is intelligent and I think he will figure it out and take a big step forward next year or the year after.

Brown on the other hand appears to have worked on things that have enhanced his game in this system. And, except for a bad 20 game stretch to start the year, Brown has had nothing but a developmental curve that is increasing every year. He was better last year than the year before and right now, he is playing better than he did last year. He just keeps getting better.

And I think there is a lot of recency bias here. People think the better player is whoever happens to be playing better at that time, so yeah, in the first 20 games people where loving Tatum and hating Brown. Now because Brown is playing so well and Tatum isn't, people have changed their mind.

I think they are both future All-Stars.
I would give you a TP, but you're at an even number. Either way I agree.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 10:24:09 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
My comparisons would be:

Tatum --> Tobias Harris
Brown --> Jason Richardson

Hopefully I'm selling low on both of them.

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
My comparisons would be:

Tatum --> Tobias Harris

I mean, is a Jason Richardson with much better defense really such a bad comparison? He did average over 20 pts in multiple seasons.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
My comparisons would be:

Tatum --> Tobias Harris

I mean, is a Jason Richardson with much better defense really such a bad comparison? He did average over 20 pts in multiple seasons.
Of course not. Having said that, last summer the expectations were way higher than that. I mean, people were comparing Brown to Paul George and Kawhi Leonard (especially when Danny decided not to trade for Kawhi).

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 10:46:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum is killing us. He’s not earning his minutes.

Only reason he hasn’t been benched is it would damage his trade value. Although he is anyway.

Brown and Hayward deserve to start ahead of him as of now.

Hoping he gets out of this funk.

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Both still aren’t all stars and have to make leaps in certain aspects of their game to get to that level. I’d be happy with either one of them and shipping the other to land a guy like AD.

Tatum needs to improve his strength, defense, playmaking, and shot selection. Right now he reminds me of Harrison Barnes (though Melo has also been thrown around).

Brown needs to improve ball handling, playmaking, free throw shooting, and off ball defensive awareness.
- LilRip

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 12:52:02 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 562
this is a topic that maybe could have its own thread. But whats up with Tatums shot? Fun fact, since January 16th Giannis has made more total 3 pointers than Tatum.

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Giannis reminds me of Shawn kemp right now. Maybe not as much style and athleticism, but a lil more effective. I think i'm becoming a fan of his.

And I mean before that lockout season when alotta players came back fat, lookin like a buncha Elvis impersonators

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Tatum is killing us. He’s not earning his minutes.

Only reason he hasn’t been benched is it would damage his trade value. Although he is anyway.

Brown and Hayward deserve to start ahead of him as of now.

Hoping he gets out of this funk.

I agree

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
It's hard to predict.

Tatum ceiling = KD or PG13
JBrown ceiling = KLeonard or PG13

...right now, JB is closer to KL/PG13 than JT is