Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 20179 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2024, 12:08:37 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Jaylen has come 2nd in the dunk contest, losing to Mac McClung of the Osceola Magic. Mac is the first repeat winner since Zach Lavine in 2015-16.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-slam-dunk-contest-mac-mcclung-defeats-jaylen-brown-to-go-back-to-back-040230753.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2024, 05:41:51 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Just watched some highlights on Twitter/X...why were they booing Jaylen? Because he's in Indiana and they hate us?

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2024, 05:51:32 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 188
Just watched some highlights on Twitter/X...why were they booing Jaylen? Because he's in Indiana and they hate us?

Because he had the court turn into a Celtics court during his routine?

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2024, 08:19:24 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just want to say that I appreciate that Jaylen was willing to put himself out there and compete in the dunk contest. He had some nice pre-dunk theatrics and finished clean and powerfully. I think if dunk #2 went as planned and if he had jumped from a couple feet further out on dunks #2-4 (he had the clearance), he actually could have won it. Overall, I thought he did a nice job!

The amount of hate he is getting out there by NBA fans is exactly why more stars won't do it. The criticism just isn't worth it to most star players just so they can lose a dunk contest.

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2024, 08:21:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Just want to say that I appreciate that Jaylen was willing to put himself out there and compete in the dunk contest. He had some nice pre-dunk theatrics and finished clean and powerfully. I think if dunk #2 went as planned and if he had jumped from a couple feet further out on dunks #2-4 (he had the clearance), he actually could have won it. Overall, I thought he did a nice job!

The amount of hate he is getting out there by NBA fans is exactly why more stars won't do it. The criticism just isn't worth it to most star players just so they can lose a dunk contest.

Why is he getting hate? I didn't see it but don't get it. Is it just the usual anti-Celtics hate or usual Twitter trolling or something more?

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2024, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Jaylen put on a decent show. Allo of his dunks had some nice theater to them even if he didn't pull them off every time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2024, 10:07:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I thought they were booing the judges, who deserved it.

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2024, 10:14:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

I’m pretty sure it’s this
- LilRip

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2024, 10:50:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
JB showed out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2024, 11:25:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
JB showed out.

He really did. Wish JB had taken a few more shots instead of passing. He was tied with Dame at one point for pts. Think they were both at 33.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2024, 09:55:23 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
JB showed out.

He really did. Wish JB had taken a few more shots instead of passing. He was tied with Dame at one point for pts. Think they were both at 33.

It’s funny, the game was obviously a total farce, but one thing that definitely stood out to me was JB just looking like a grown man veteran out there.  He’s been looking that way for most of the regular season too.  He just seems supremely confident and it’s had a positive effect on his game.  Here’s hoping this translates to the playoffs and the C’s taking the next step.
Yup

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2024, 10:30:42 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Taking a look at Brown statistically for this point in the season and I would say that he is only having and OK season relative to the expectation of a Max guy, #2 on a top team.  He is scoring 22 pts/gm on about 17 shot attempts (which is down from the last few seasons).  That is not bad.  His 3P% is down some from his career at 34.2%.  Assists and Turnovers are a little better than the last few seasons.  Still pretty much a 70% FT%, about his career average.  So statistically, I look at the traditional stats in aggregate and say good, but not great.

If I look at things more subjectively, based on watching the games, he is still a top defender and a mature presence on the court.  Does plenty that does not show up in the box score.  Seems to be evolving his game to make others better.  Is competitive, shows effort.

We'll see how things go the rest of the season and in the playoffs.  Scoring 20+ per game (with average efficiency) while also being at times the best defender on the court still puts a player into an elite category.  I don't know if that means top 20 or top 30 or what, but it is still really good.  He will be judged by how he does in the playoffs in the end of course.

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2024, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Brown's better apg and lower tpg is a good sign and I like that he has dropped his 3's 1.6 a game, though he could use another 2 less 3 attempts a game.  If he can hold the tpg and up the apg about 1 more, he'd start hitting the sweet spot of where he needs to be to be a truly effective #2 next to Tatum.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2024, 07:24:57 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323
Looks like JB (and DWhite) led us to a big Game 1 victory in the playoffs. Good job JB!!!

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2024, 08:00:16 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
Brown was a walking bucket last night. 32 pts on 12-18 shooting is elite.
#JKJB