Author Topic: The Announcers  (Read 10924 times)

Re: The Announcers
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline zubie

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 2
Sorry guys but I can't take much more of MOK Jackson, talking about Tito HAHFUD, Kevin GAHNETT, or Paul PEEAHS!  Someone please introduce Mr. - or is it Mistuh - Jackson to the 18th letter of the alphabet.  Ditto ditching his stupid catch phrase, did someone say "Sweet sassy Molassy?"  I'm also hoping some day that the finals are on TNT. 

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Any why does Marc keeping calling him Coach?

I also find it ammusing when he tells us what the players are saying/thinking. At least he's better than Reggie Miller.
Miller is just horrible. He's the only guy I can't stand. He says so many things that are just plain dumb.

I like that JVG coached Jackson and have a relationship, so they can make fun of each other more naturally. The problem with Jackson is he seems to want to compete with in-town rival Frazier, thus the corny lines. It actually works for Clyde, cuz he sounds senile when he does it.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I like Van Gundy, Jackson, and Reggie. Doug Collins and Hubie annoy me so much. Their voices and comments make me hate their games sometimes.

Reggie just says stuff that is so embarrassing that it makes it awkward to listen to. That makes the broadcasts fun for me for some reason.

I want some Gus Johnson on games in the NBA besides local Knicks telecasts. Marv was sleeping for that Magic/Cavs thriller the other night. It was depressing.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mark Jackson by himself is pretty bad.  He tries the one liners that seem too fake.  However, when he's with JVG then they do well, clicking well together and feeding each other.  It's also funny when they start making fun of each other.  JVG is plain out hilarious.  I can def see him being like Tommy when he gets older.  Once he starts worrying about the producers and just say whatever is on his mind, he'd be great.

and what is that ridiculous line jackson rolls off every game: "momma, here comes my man" or "momma, look out for that man". it's creepy.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
I can't stand Jackson.

He raves about superstar players for 48+ minutes .

Worst thing possible would be to listen to him announce a Cavs/Lakers final.
Oh my god ... that is frightening. I don't think I could watch that series with the sound on if Mark Jackson is commentating!

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
Reggie Miller is the worst commentator of the bunch. It's amazing to me how he's hung onto that job for so long.

Why don't the people that run those shows care about the quality of their commentators?

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »

Offline waltzero

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm beyond surprised to see so much Reggie hate and so much Doug Collins love. What is this, Bizaro World? I suspect people just hated Reggie the player and can't let it go.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Reggie is growing on me as he's almost to the point where he can be critical. For example, he's say that could have been called a foul, when its an obvious missed call. Makes me laugh.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Actually Jalen Rose, is probably the worst.He can barely spit out his words.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My pantheon of announcers in no order

Keith Jackson - college football

John Madden - NFL

Dick Vitale - college basketball especially the Duke/UNC stuff. I'm just waiting for him to get a seizure on air

Tommy and Gorman (seriously I want them both to take aside Donny Marshall and say "Stop being so [dang] professional all the time. Start being a homer for God's sake, and tell nutier stories about the old days and get on the officials already. Seriously. Be an ANNOUNCER, not a talker)

Al Michaels - anything esp MNF

Phil Simms - I have no idea why, I just do

Joe Theisman

Lots of times I think an announcer is like a ref. If I know their name that is bad

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
And Dick Butkus and Gov Jesse Ventura when they did the XFL, just for kicks and whatnot

God I miss the XFL

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Reggie Miller is the worst commentator of the bunch. It's amazing to me how he's hung onto that job for so long.

Why don't the people that run those shows care about the quality of their commentators?

Anyone see Reggie's mailbag after the game last night? It was "How many players could beat Charles Barkley in an eating contest" or something

Reggie started answering it right in front of charles...hilarious.

Charles immediate comment: "Y'all must be on some commercial thing or something cuz that is the stupidest question I've ever heard."

Reggie I used to like, now he's just turrible.

BTW, is there a better play by play guy than Marv Albert? If he wasn't such a known perv, I'd like him to read my hypothetical kids bedtime stories.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I can't take Marv Alberts seriously at all anymore. I just can't.

Also for some reason even though I know Steve Costas is good and I respect him I just don't like him. Maybe I think he's nasalish or something

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
My pantheon of announcers in no order

Keith Jackson - college football

John Madden - NFL

Dick Vitale - college basketball especially the Duke/UNC stuff. I'm just waiting for him to get a seizure on air

Tommy and Gorman (seriously I want them both to take aside Donny Marshall and say "Stop being so [dang] professional all the time. Start being a homer for God's sake, and tell nutier stories about the old days and get on the officials already. Seriously. Be an ANNOUNCER, not a talker)

Al Michaels - anything esp MNF

Phil Simms - I have no idea why, I just do

Joe Theisman

Lots of times I think an announcer is like a ref. If I know their name that is bad

Keith Jackson is or was the best...I rank him up there with Howard Cosell.tp

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Can't stand Bob Costas and Tim McCarver the most. McCarver does way too many Red Sox games.

I used to like Steve "Snapper" Jones. He was good also b/c he used to make fun of Walton