Author Topic: Lowest finals viewership ever  (Read 7968 times)

Lowest finals viewership ever
« on: October 02, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Lowest finals viewership ever
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Serves them right! The NBA laid out the red carpet for the Lakers to reach the Finals, this is what they deserve.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Serves them right! The NBA laid out the red carpet for the Lakers to reach the Finals, this is what they deserve.

Probably that, COVID season and playoff changes, and social justice involvement.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I have not watched a single second of it.

I do not intend to anyways.

I have watched every single Finals but will not watch this one.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 12:59:05 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Good. I hope the ratings continue to suck. Just what the Rigged-BA deserves.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 01:25:39 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Probably that, COVID season and playoff changes, and social justice involvement.

For me it's because there's zero competition, it's like watching a preseason game between a contender and a lottery team.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 01:55:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

For me it's because there's zero competition, it's like watching a preseason game between a contender and a lottery team.

Yeah, and think Celts could've taken LAL to 6, too. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 04:29:47 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think from a player standpoint there aren’t too many ‘stars’ on either team...other then LeBron and Davis, the Lakers don’t have a team or style to attract that many neutrals and the whole Miami Heat team is really an NBA experts favourite, but most of their whole squad doesn’t really move the needle for the average sports fan.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:11:57 AM by shut_the_gate »

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 05:11:22 AM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Would've been interesting to see if a Celtics-Lakers series would have gotten better ratings, even if lower than what it was pre-Covid.  The Lakers-Heat matchup was unexciting on paper and the first 2 games seemed to have proven this.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 05:59:24 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
My enthusiasm for sport is at an all time low. I've been unable to get back into professional sport of any kind since they restarted. To state the bleeding obvious it's just not the same. Plastic fruit.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:07 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I watched every Celtics game and thought it was a great product personally, that said I didn’t watch any other game played by a non-Celtics team. Definitely have 0 interest in watching a lakers sweep.
I’m having a hard time watching football, really just checking my fantasy score is about as much as I do, and even that I’m a lot less interested in. I’m more likely to turn on a Bucs game then Pats game solely because I know there are only a few games left Brady will play in his career and the Pats will always be there. If Brady was 10 years younger I’d probably care less what he was doing as well.

I cut cable once covid hit and it’s been harder to watch games, furthermore I just care a lot less about sports in general.

I’m pretty indifferent to BLM, the on court protests, political stuff etc. and for me that wouldn’t change the fact if I watch a game or not. That said I know a lot of people who refuse to watch because of the constant ‘politicalness’ of it all and I definitely think the stand the NBA Decided to take has hurt its viewership. Keep in mind these are north east fans who said, no thanks.. imagine how many more in the red states are refusing to watch for that reason alone?

The no fans thing never really phased me, it was weird at first but I didn’t even notice after about a half of basketball. It’s probably a little more weird for NFL games but even so wouldn’t be the reason if I watched or not.

Interest just isn’t there, there are bigger issues in the world these days.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 08:02:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not having the Cs or Bucks face the Lakers in the Finals is devastating for the league. The Heat are a nice story, but it’s a pretty boring roster overall. We just lost to them and people are still saying they are likable.

Same with the Nuggets - nice story, but the Clippers were supposed to be the team the Lakers played in the WCF. The ECSF (Cs/Raps) and WCSF (Clips/Nuggets) are no supposed to be the best series’ in the NBA Playoffs, but they clearly were the pinnacle of this whole thing.

I don’t think the BLM thing played that big a part. I know of very few rednecks or racists that previously loved the majority black NBA, but are now turned off. The NBA has always had a message out there for social justice. Totally hurt the NFL, though.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 08:30:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definitely has to do with the teams a little bit but every round has had the lowest ratings ever by a huge margin.

I like it has to do more with COVID (a lot of people thinking sports should not be happening currently), the social justice platforms that they have stood on, and the bubble itself.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah I haven't tuned in once to watch it. I have zero interest. It's so nauseating on social media seeing every reference to Kobe, Lakers past records', etc. I don't even think I've seen anything about the Miami Heat over the past few days  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Of the 30 TVs in my sports bar none was showing it last night. Even the bartender that’s a lakers fan didn’t have it on