Poll

Would you  trade Jaylen Brown with a first for jimmy Butler if it keeps Kyrie with the Celtics?

Yes
3 (4.5%)
No
57 (85.1%)
Only if Jimmy  and Kyrie  signed long term with thr Celtics
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 18452 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If Kyrie wants his friend here so bad that's fine. They just have to both take big pay cuts. Think of the max we'd give Kyrie. Then they split it somehow.

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Nope.  I don't know how you can afford to keep Butler, Irving, Hayward, and Horford under contract.  One of those turns in to a short term rental that you have to move, and I'm not giving up Jaylen Brown for that. 

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nahhhhhh.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If it means Kyrie's extension, then YES.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think DA would probably trade Irving than do that. I'm not sure how they would be able to keep everyone with 4 max salaries.

That being said, I think Irving signs extension with Cs and they keep Brown as well. Brown going into year 3 and could really make "the jump" this year. Might make Butler completely redundant.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If it means Kyrie's extension, then YES.
Chances are we 'll keep Kyrie even without Butler.

But anyway, let's say we make the trade. What happens then with the lux tax?

payroll in 2019-20

Hayward $32,700,690
Kyrie $32,700,000  (cap projected to be $109 million, 8-year veteran --> 30% of the cap)
Butler $32,700,000  (8-year veteran --> 30% of the cap)
Horford $30,123,015

That's $128,223,705 for 4 players!

Not sure whether Wyc and the rest of the owners would love the idea of trading for Butler.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I would not trade Jaylen Brown, or Rozier, or Tatum for Butler ATM... All of those guys have gotten exponentially better since their rookie years and are all under 25.

Until one of them plateaus from a skill standpoint I would be asking for the moon for them (AKA not trying to trade them to acquire yet ANOTHER wing). 

If it's a talented offensive PF your trading for... then we can talk.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd acquire Butler and wouldn't give it much thought.  He is a very good 2 way player in the same tier as Irving and Hayward in the league. 

It would probably mean that Horford would have to be traded next summer, but I'm ok with taking the championship shot this year.

And I would absolutely trade Brown in the trade if that is what it took.

So basically Butler for Brown, Morris, Yabu, and Nader (I think that is enough salary but if not add Semi).

Post-Trade - Main 2 deep rotation
PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Butler, Smart
SF - Hayward, Tatum
PF - Horford, Theis
C - Baynes, Williams 

That team if everyone is healthy and back to where they were would be a real threat to the Warriors and the very heavy and clear favorites in the East.  Even if the Sixers acquired Leonard (for basically Saric, Covington, and 1sts) that C's team would still be the favorites in the East.

You’d last about 30 seconds as an NBA GM. I could at least appreciate the argument of that trade 1-2 seasons ago. But now?  C’mon.
I want to win and that team can actually win, both now and 5 years from now (when Tatum takes over for Horford).  It also ensures that Boston keeps Irving.  If you don't make the trade and Irving leaves next summer, is that worth while. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Depends a lot on his knee.

Overall I'd say no given what I know now and my thoughts on how Butler/Kyrie's games would mesh.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Here's the problem, Butler's contract expires after the end of this season.  Well he has a player option but he will likely decline it.  Are you willing to pay both Kyrie and Butler max contracts of 37m each?  I'd be willing to go that high for Kyrie but not Butler.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Here's the problem, Butler's contract expires after the end of this season.  Well he has a player option but he will likely decline it.  Are you willing to pay both Kyrie and Butler max contracts of 37m each?  I'd be willing to go that high for Kyrie but not Butler.
neither one of them is getting 37 million as they are both 30% max players and not 35%

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'm amazed at the number of posters who are comfortable with moving on from Irving. If you believe that you are getting past GSW with Rozier instead of Irving, imo you are way off base. As distasteful as it would be to basically submit to blackmail, getting Irving and Butler here long term is worth Brown. My first preference, of course, would be just to sign up Irving long term at the end of the season without doing anything like this trade. That may or may not be possible.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm amazed at the number of posters who are comfortable with moving on from Irving. If you believe that you are getting past GSW with Rozier instead of Irving, imo you are way off base. As distasteful as it would be to basically submit to blackmail, getting Irving and Butler here long term is worth Brown. My first preference, of course, would be just to sign up Irving long term at the end of the season without doing anything like this trade. That may or may not be possible.

I don't think it's worth sacrificing organizational integrity just to appease Irving.  If Irving is willing to leave without Butler then what is going to stop him from asking for more accommodations if we cave in to his demands?  What if they can't get over the hump in year 1?  Does Kyrie try to pressure the organization to make even more moves if things aren't working with Butler?

I'd rather lose Kyrie at that point.  It might mean pushing the window back but I still feel great about our team long term with Jaylen and Tatum.  There are also plenty of additional assets that Ainge can use to bring in more talent.

There are other factors we aren't considering too.  What if Kyrie's feelings about Butler are independent from the rest of the team?  What if Horford and Hayward are frustrated by Kyrie dictating terms?  What if Tatum feels the same way.  I know he's tight with Kyrie but his relationship with Brown is also very strong.  What if Stevens objects too?

Caving in to Irving could be a very slippery slope, especially for a player who hasn't show great durability.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'd acquire Butler and wouldn't give it much thought.  He is a very good 2 way player in the same tier as Irving and Hayward in the league. 

It would probably mean that Horford would have to be traded next summer, but I'm ok with taking the championship shot this year.

And I would absolutely trade Brown in the trade if that is what it took.

So basically Butler for Brown, Morris, Yabu, and Nader (I think that is enough salary but if not add Semi).

Post-Trade - Main 2 deep rotation
PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Butler, Smart
SF - Hayward, Tatum
PF - Horford, Theis
C - Baynes, Williams 

That team if everyone is healthy and back to where they were would be a real threat to the Warriors and the very heavy and clear favorites in the East.  Even if the Sixers acquired Leonard (for basically Saric, Covington, and 1sts) that C's team would still be the favorites in the East.

You’d last about 30 seconds as an NBA GM. I could at least appreciate the argument of that trade 1-2 seasons ago. But now?  C’mon.
That team is awesome and just about on par with the Warriors.  It certainly matches up very well against them, even the small ball lineup where you put in Tatum for Baynes.  The tricky part is making the salaries work.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think DA would probably trade Irving than do that. I'm not sure how they would be able to keep everyone with 4 max salaries.

That being said, I think Irving signs extension with Cs and they keep Brown as well. Brown going into year 3 and could really make "the jump" this year. Might make Butler completely redundant.
Yes to all this. And if the Celtics get to the Finals this year and at least compete (ideally win!!) I can’t see Irving jumping to another town just so he can play with Butler. He and Brown also seem to like and appreciate each other. I crack up when they do that “third eye” celebration after a great play.