Author Topic: All-time Celtics white team VS all-time Celtics black team  (Read 3218 times)

All-time Celtics white team VS all-time Celtics black team
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:00:48 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Hay, guys.
Please don't get this thread wrong, i'm from Croatia and its got nothing to do with racism or something.
I was just wondering in this lockout time "what if"...
What if we could get players in different eras in their prime and set a basketball game with all-time Celtics greats, and like greatest white players vs greatest black players...
Imagine:

WHITE:             BLACK:
STARTING LINEUP:   STARTING LINEUP:
Bob Cousy          Dennis Johnson
John Havlicek      Ray Allen
Larry Bird         Paul Pierce
Kevin McHale       Kevin Garnett
Dave Cowens        Bill Russell
BENCH:             BENCH:
Paul Westphal      Nate Archibald
Bill Sharman       Rajon Rondo
Danny Ainge        Jo-Jo White
Frank Ramsey       Sam Jones
Tom Heinsohn       Cedric Maxwell
Bailey Howell      Paul Silas
Bill Walton        Robert Parish
INACTIVE:          INACTIVE:
Scott Wedman       Charlie Scott
Ed Macauley        Reggie Lewis
Dino Radja         Tom Sanders

Imagine:
-DJ's full court press on Cousy
-Hondo chasing Ray and vice versa
-Legend and Truth scoring at will
-KG trying to stop McHale's post moves
-Russ & Cowens battle for rebounds...

No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

Re: All-time Celtics white team VS all-time Celtics black team
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »

Offline MichaelRV

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Well, considering they are all in their prime
PG: Advantage to Cousy
- Dennis Johnson is truly one of the better defensive point guards out there and he is truly magnificent at the 1 but the Houdini of the Hardwood got him beat. He revolutionized the game and has eyes at the back of his head.
SG: Advantage to Havlicek
- Ray Ray is probably the best three point shooter of all time. In his prime he would kill you with his athleticism and shooting. Heck Spike Lee starred him in a movie. However Hondo, the Celtics all-time leading scorer and the owner of 8 championship rings is the winner of this round.
SF: Advantage to Bird
- The Truth and Larry Legend, the two best SF in Celtic history. They stuck with the team through thick and thin and have led to their team to the very top. They both have a huge offensive arsenal and a special brand of cockiness. However, the more versatile player wins. Larry Legend, I believe is the best Celtic of all time, he was just such an amazing player who could do almost everything on the court.
PF: Advantage Garnett
- Alright, I might get some complaints and hate on this one, but in their prime Garnett was clearly the better player. McHale, I admit is probably the best offensive low post player of all time however Garnett is one of the very few who revolutionized how PFs should play. With his amazing defense, versatility and passion for the game he is definitely a candidate as the best PF of all time.
C: Advantage Russell
- Ok, both are amazing players but you all have to agree with me, Bill would win this matchup. Sure Bill is not that good offensively but defensively oh my, that's a different subject.

White has the advantage 3/2 however the Black team's superb low post defense might actually win them this game.

My prediction: White team winning 98 - 92

Re: All-time Celtics white team VS all-time Celtics black team
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Let me say, this could be an interesting topic, and it's well put together.  Obviously, a lot of time and thought was put into this, especially in selecting the players (great job on that).  I don't think there's any sort of racist vibe here, at all, and the individual matchups got me thinking. 

(I lean toward Larry's team, just because it starts five of the top seven players in team history.  At the same time, the defensive front line of Russell + KG is scary, and the Russell team's bench is deeper.  That's based upon the assumption that we're getting KG and Tiny in their Celtics' prime, rather than their NBA prime.)

At the same time, our rules state:

Quote from: CelticsBlog Rules
It is neither necessary nor appropriate to reference a player's race when commenting on that player's play or role.

A "black vs. white players" thread unfortunately violates that rule.  As such, we have to lock it.  Thanks for understanding.

Locked.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes