Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #16  (Read 11700 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #16
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 02:01:31 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
KC Jones
KC Jones
KC Jones
I will consider this one a biased opinion  ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas
Reggie Lewis
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
just came upon this thread ...........

i suppose you've heard plenty of argument and criticism already, but how you guys can put Dave Cowens in 8th place is beyond me. He is clearly the 3d most important player in franchise history.

i guess there are too many young voters here.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

i suppose you've heard plenty of argument and criticism already, but how you guys can put Dave Cowens in 8th place is beyond me. He is clearly the 3d most important player in franchise history.

He's more important than Hondo? Than Cousy?

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

yes he was - definitely - he was the best player (league mvp) on the championship teams of the 1970's - he was the key player during that run in Celtic history - that puts him right behind the other two players who fit that role - Russell & Bird.

Havlicek was a great lieutenant to both Russell and Cowens - kinda like Pierce to Garnett on today's Celtics.

like i said ...... too many young voters who probably never saw Cowens play - the guy was unbelievable.

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, I appreciate Dave Cowens, but I don't have him in my top three.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Frank Ramsey
Reggie Lewis
KC Jones
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

yes he was - definitely - he was the best player (league mvp) on the championship teams of the 1970's - he was the key player during that run in Celtic history - that puts him right behind the other two players who fit that role - Russell & Bird.

Havlicek was a great lieutenant to both Russell and Cowens - kinda like Pierce to Garnett on today's Celtics.

like i said ...... too many young voters who probably never saw Cowens play - the guy was unbelievable.

This isn't a list of who was the best player, its a list of who has meant more to the franchise. Who has been the best "Celtic".

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I have him in my top 5, though, and only because Tommy is my #4.
Cousy is arguable, maybe even Pierce, but did Kevin McHale really mean more to the 80ies teams than Cowens to the 70ies teams?  ???
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I have him in my top 5, though, and only because Tommy is my #4.
Cousy is arguable, maybe even Pierce, but did Kevin McHale really mean more to the 80ies teams than Cowens to the 70ies teams?  ???

McHale was an amazing player.  He's one of the best defensive players of all-time, and has some of the best post moves of any power forward ever.  A lot of people argue that he's the best power forward of all-time, or the best prior to Tim Duncan.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
McHale was an amazing player.  He's one of the best defensive players of all-time, and has some of the best post moves of any power forward ever.  A lot of people argue that he's the best power forward of all-time, or the best prior to Tim Duncan.

I know that (although it was prior to Karl Malone^^), and I guess I don`t have to tell you about Cowens.

But the point remains: Did McHale ever mean more to the 80ies teams than Cowens to the 70ies team? You can disagree, and the polls show that the majority shares this view, but I would say "no".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

I know that (although it was prior to Karl Malone^^), and I guess I don`t have to tell you about Cowens.

But the point remains: Did McHale ever mean more to the 80ies teams than Cowens to the 70ies team? You can disagree, and the polls show that the majority shares this view, but I would say "no".
This is what makes Celtics history so fun to discuss.  Cowens had Havlicek during his best years and McHale had Bird.  Hard to discuss them against each other when you consider that each played alongside the #1 and #2 scorers in franchise history.  Besides, Cowens played center at 6'9".  McHale played PF at 6'11".  Hard comparison.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

This isn't a list of who was the best player, its a list of who has meant more to the franchise. Who has been the best "Celtic".

"Who has been the best 'Celtic' ??  that adds even more credence to my argument to rank Dave Cowens with Russell and Bird. Cowens was as Celtic as they come and he meant as much to the franchise as far as i'm concerned as those two guys. Cowens was the heart and the talent behind one of the Celtic championship eras and he is only the 3d Celt to win the NBA MVP .......... what more do you want ?

not sure what the thinking is here  - may be just another case of people's tendency to lose appreciation for greatness over time.

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Why do you rank Cowens more highly than Hondo, TS?  As the team's leading scorer, and a bridge being two championship eras, I gave him a lot of extra credit.

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Why do you rank Cowens more highly than Hondo, TS?  As the team's leading scorer, and a bridge being two championship eras, I gave him a lot of extra credit.

......... and you have a good argument for havlicek - what a great player and a great celtic.

my perspective though is that russell, cowens and bird have been the pillars around which three championship groups have revolved. havlicek is probably my #4 all-time celtic and i see him & cowens compare so closely with pierce & garnett by their team role relationships. havlicek was the great lieutenant, but he needed russell and cowens to make those championships happen.