Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #9  (Read 9341 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #9
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
sam jones (cmon!)
robert parish
bill sharman

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
sam jones
bill sharman
robert parish

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
parish
sam jones
dennis johnson

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I had never looked at these, but I'll just start by saying I'm shocked that Hondo beat out Cooz for third. It's close, but I'd just think that multiple MVPs would do it.

Anyway, here are my votes for 9th:
1. Sam Jones
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Robert Parish

I don't care that KG's not on the list of nominees, and I don't care that he's only been here for two years (and only played one and a half). Kevin Garnett is the only guy who was the best player on a Celtics championship team that is not currently represented. Sam, well, Sam won 10 titles in 12 years and was the second best player on several of those teams so I have to give it to him. But then I gotta put KG up there.

The Chief is close. But Garnett, man, what he did to this team cannot be ignored or understated. If it wasn't for him, the Lakers franchise would only be one behind us. And we'd be talking about how much we're gonna improve off our 27 win team when Big Al comes back healthy next year.

As much as I love the Chief - and DJ, my personal favorite Celtic of all time - when there have only been 6 guys, tops, who were the best player on Celtics championship teams (Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Cowens, Bird, Garnett), all 6 belong in the top 10. Championships matter. And Garnett brought us that championship, regardless of the fact that Pierce had a better Finals and regardless of what Garnett does over the remainder of his career. He was absolutely the best player on the Celtics last year, and this year before he got hurt. That this fact isn't more widely recognized absolutely baffles and occasionally infurates me. Yes, Pierce is a greater all time Celtic because he's been here much longer. But Garnett is there too.

I get that Garnett won't be anywhere close this round or next, and I get that some of these guys - Parish, Sharman, maybe DJ and Jo Jo - arguably should be ahead of him because of lifetime achievements in green.  But I just don't see how he's not even listed as a nominee. I personally can't convince myself that all the bit parts on the Russell-Cousy-Heinsohn-Havlicek-Jones teams - guys like Satch Sanders, Jim Loscutoff, Frank Ramsey, and Don Nelson, guys who never even made All Star teams - are being thrown out there as better Celtics. Ed Macauley never even won one title in Boston. Just because a number or nickname is up in the rafters doesn't mean they're greater than a guy who came here and brought the Celtics back to greatness.

I demand Garnett at least be nominated for the next round. I don't really care whether he wins, but he deserves more recognition for the fact that his one championship season already puts him in the running as an all time great Celtic. To that end, he deserves at least to be mentioned.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 07:39:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Robert Parish
Sam Jones
Dennis Johnson

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I had never looked at these, but I'll just start by saying I'm shocked that Hondo beat out Cooz for third. It's close, but I'd just think that multiple MVPs would do it.

Anyway, here are my votes for 9th:
1. Sam Jones
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Robert Parish

I don't care that KG's not on the list of nominees, and I don't care that he's only been here for two years (and only played one and a half). Kevin Garnett is the only guy who was the best player on a Celtics championship team that is not currently represented. Sam, well, Sam won 10 titles in 12 years and was the second best player on several of those teams so I have to give it to him. But then I gotta put KG up there.

The Chief is close. But Garnett, man, what he did to this team cannot be ignored or understated. If it wasn't for him, the Lakers franchise would only be one behind us. And we'd be talking about how much we're gonna improve off our 27 win team when Big Al comes back healthy next year.

As much as I love the Chief - and DJ, my personal favorite Celtic of all time - when there have only been 6 guys, tops, who were the best player on Celtics championship teams (Cousy, Russell, Havlicek, Cowens, Bird, Garnett), all 6 belong in the top 10. Championships matter. And Garnett brought us that championship, regardless of the fact that Pierce had a better Finals and regardless of what Garnett does over the remainder of his career. He was absolutely the best player on the Celtics last year, and this year before he got hurt. That this fact isn't more widely recognized absolutely baffles and occasionally infurates me. Yes, Pierce is a greater all time Celtic because he's been here much longer. But Garnett is there too.

I get that Garnett won't be anywhere close this round or next, and I get that some of these guys - Parish, Sharman, maybe DJ and Jo Jo - arguably should be ahead of him because of lifetime achievements in green.  But I just don't see how he's not even listed as a nominee. I personally can't convince myself that all the bit parts on the Russell-Cousy-Heinsohn-Havlicek-Jones teams - guys like Satch Sanders, Jim Loscutoff, Frank Ramsey, and Don Nelson, guys who never even made All Star teams - are being thrown out there as better Celtics. Ed Macauley never even won one title in Boston. Just because a number or nickname is up in the rafters doesn't mean they're greater than a guy who came here and brought the Celtics back to greatness.

I demand Garnett at least be nominated for the next round. I don't really care whether he wins, but he deserves more recognition for the fact that his one championship season already puts him in the running as an all time great Celtic. To that end, he deserves at least to be mentioned.
These polls are for greatest Celtics players not greatest players. There have been a ton of players that have been unbelievable players and came to the Celtics for a short time and had success. But have they really contributed as much to the franchise as someone who gave 10-12 years to the team and helped them win multiple championships.

This is the Celtics, of Auerbach, of "it's not about the name on the back it's about the name on the front" and those non top stars are every bit as important as the stars who were here for one championship.

Also, by your very definition of stars carrying teams, Bill Sharman was the man for this team and won several titles for them. He deserves to be ahead of KG.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:01 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Better now?  ;)

I simply listed a few of the Celtic Greats (those with retired numbers and players who were mentioned in earlier polls), to help people decide and get a feel for their personal list. I also mix it up from time to time, so that the "players to consider" don`t somehow influence the result.

Is there anyone else (not named Will Solomon) you want to see added to the list?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:38:45 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
First, nick - look at my post. I never said a single thing about what Kevin Garnett did in Minnesota. I fully agree that what KG did there has nothing to do with choosing his place in the Celtics pantheon. I said one thing about Garnett - he was the best player on a Celtic championship team - one of only six guys in Celtics history who can actually say that. To me, that means a ton. The way he did it means even more.

Now, he's only played two years. I understand most want to wait a few years before even discussing him as a great Celtic. But for me, he defines what it is to be a great Celtic. This team we rooted for in the 90s and 00s - that wasn't even the Celtics as we now think of them or as they were when truly great. That was a bad franchise. Garnett, more than anybody else, made this team true Celtics again. It means a ton to me that we are now back where we belong, right in the conversation among the great teams. Without Garnett, who knows how long it would be before we got back to that level, or even if we ever would.

Look, I, like many people here, am in my 20s. I've been watching the Celtics since about 85, but only really cognizant as a fan since about 87-88. I understand that the old guys have a ton of love for the guys who won it in the 60s. They should. 11 of 13 is what made this franchise.

But I have to speak for myself in this exercise. I am from the group that religiously watched the Celtics for 20 years before really experiencing any team that made me appreciate how great this franchise is (well, I had Larry's last couple of years, which had that feeling and got me hooked in the first place but it was a long relatively uninterrupted slide). By 2005 or so, this franchise was done. Bad management followed bad management. Terrible drafting left us with no stars to the point that we elevated overpaid, overrated gunners like Antoine Walker to the level of "star." We had bad luck, but more importantly, we had bad players and management.

Garnett changed all of it. He is the one man who came in and changed the entire culture of the team. Yeah, we pushed Orlando to 7 without him - but if he had never been here, we'd still be nothing and never would have been in that position because he changed everyone and everything around him. And he did it in the traditional Celtic way - by putting defense, teamwork and toughness first and foremost above offensive numbers and individual accolades (which he got anyway - Defensive Player of the Year, All-NBA First Team, two time starting All Star, 3rd in MVP voting). He may have played his prime in Minnesota, but he came in and instantly turned the team that we had into Celtics. He always was the definition of what it means to be a Celtic, we just never realized it until he wore the green.

So to me, from the start, Garnett has been everything that is the greatness of the Celtics. I'll take two years of true greatness over 10-15 years of a mediocre player contributing to the accomplishments of the true greats. (Note, that is directed to guys like Luscutoff, Nelson, Sanders, etc., not guys like Sharman, Parish, DJ, Jo Jo). But even on a higher level - without Russell, Sam Jones is just a guy who scored points. Without Bird, Parish is just an accomplished big man. Without Garnett, Pierce is just an immature scorer who couldn't lead. It's the true greats who raise teammates to greatness. Garnett is the true great of this Celtic era (and this is the first true Celtic era since at least 92).

Moving on to Sharman - he was clearly a great player, and a great Celtic, and I indicated he's one of the handful of guys on the list of remaining nominees that I can see being ahead of Garnett based on his career accomplishments here. But as a point of fact, he was never the best player on a Celtic championship team. Cousy was the best player on those first few championship teams, if it wasn't Russell right off the bat. That's why those are the two who won MVP awards back in the late 50s and 60s. Sharman was a great player (first team All NBA consistently) and a great Celtic, and since he played far more years, fine, I can see him finishing ahead of Garnett (and I may vote for him next round). But he never did what Garnett did, which is what Russell and Bird did before him, which is to make this basketball team from Boston into the greatest franchise in NBA history.

I threw KG into my ballot in large part to make a point and to get a little discussion flowing about what it means to be a great Celtic. Because regardless of the short time he's been here, Garnett, more than any other player who I've seen live except Bird (and this includes Pierce), defines what it is to be a great Celtic. To me, it's not how long you do it, it's what you do while you're here. If everybody disagrees, fine, I just think it's crazy to see so many players who did less for the Celtics than Garnett has done in two years being listed as nominees while Garnett, who is the reason this team is back in the discussion of great franchises, doesn't even get a mention.

This is the Celtics, of Auerbach, of "it's not about the name on the back it's about the name on the front" and those non top stars are every bit as important as the stars who were here for one championship.

Well, under that definition, then this discussion shouldn't even be happening. This entire exercise is built around choosing the names on the back.

But I will add to this - if the names on the back aren't good enough, the name on the front doesn't win. We saw plenty of that for the 15-20 years preceding 2007. If you don't have the stars - the Birds, the Russells, the Cousys - you don't win the titles that makes the very word Celtic synonymous with great in the first place. Nobody would remember Luscutoff or Sanders or KC Jones if Russell hadn't made that team great. Great players make those non stars into people worth remembering. Only a handful of Celtics have done that with their teammates, and Garnett is one of them.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Really good posts, TP for you guys.

paintitgreenīs points about Garnett transforming a whole franchise like Russell and Bird is especially good, imo. I think I really have to re-consider my own list after that.

Oh, and Bump.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
First, nick - look at my post. I never said a single thing about what Kevin Garnett did in Minnesota. I fully agree that what KG did there has nothing to do with choosing his place in the Celtics pantheon. I said one thing about Garnett - he was the best player on a Celtic championship team - one of only six guys in Celtics history who can actually say that. To me, that means a ton. The way he did it means even more.

Now, he's only played two years. I understand most want to wait a few years before even discussing him as a great Celtic. But for me, he defines what it is to be a great Celtic. This team we rooted for in the 90s and 00s - that wasn't even the Celtics as we now think of them or as they were when truly great. That was a bad franchise. Garnett, more than anybody else, made this team true Celtics again. It means a ton to me that we are now back where we belong, right in the conversation among the great teams. Without Garnett, who knows how long it would be before we got back to that level, or even if we ever would.

Look, I, like many people here, am in my 20s. I've been watching the Celtics since about 85, but only really cognizant as a fan since about 87-88. I understand that the old guys have a ton of love for the guys who won it in the 60s. They should. 11 of 13 is what made this franchise.

But I have to speak for myself in this exercise. I am from the group that religiously watched the Celtics for 20 years before really experiencing any team that made me appreciate how great this franchise is (well, I had Larry's last couple of years, which had that feeling and got me hooked in the first place but it was a long relatively uninterrupted slide). By 2005 or so, this franchise was done. Bad management followed bad management. Terrible drafting left us with no stars to the point that we elevated overpaid, overrated gunners like Antoine Walker to the level of "star." We had bad luck, but more importantly, we had bad players and management.

Garnett changed all of it. He is the one man who came in and changed the entire culture of the team. Yeah, we pushed Orlando to 7 without him - but if he had never been here, we'd still be nothing and never would have been in that position because he changed everyone and everything around him. And he did it in the traditional Celtic way - by putting defense, teamwork and toughness first and foremost above offensive numbers and individual accolades (which he got anyway - Defensive Player of the Year, All-NBA First Team, two time starting All Star, 3rd in MVP voting). He may have played his prime in Minnesota, but he came in and instantly turned the team that we had into Celtics. He always was the definition of what it means to be a Celtic, we just never realized it until he wore the green.

So to me, from the start, Garnett has been everything that is the greatness of the Celtics. I'll take two years of true greatness over 10-15 years of a mediocre player contributing to the accomplishments of the true greats. (Note, that is directed to guys like Luscutoff, Nelson, Sanders, etc., not guys like Sharman, Parish, DJ, Jo Jo). But even on a higher level - without Russell, Sam Jones is just a guy who scored points. Without Bird, Parish is just an accomplished big man. Without Garnett, Pierce is just an immature scorer who couldn't lead. It's the true greats who raise teammates to greatness. Garnett is the true great of this Celtic era (and this is the first true Celtic era since at least 92).

Moving on to Sharman - he was clearly a great player, and a great Celtic, and I indicated he's one of the handful of guys on the list of remaining nominees that I can see being ahead of Garnett based on his career accomplishments here. But as a point of fact, he was never the best player on a Celtic championship team. Cousy was the best player on those first few championship teams, if it wasn't Russell right off the bat. That's why those are the two who won MVP awards back in the late 50s and 60s. Sharman was a great player (first team All NBA consistently) and a great Celtic, and since he played far more years, fine, I can see him finishing ahead of Garnett (and I may vote for him next round). But he never did what Garnett did, which is what Russell and Bird did before him, which is to make this basketball team from Boston into the greatest franchise in NBA history.

I threw KG into my ballot in large part to make a point and to get a little discussion flowing about what it means to be a great Celtic. Because regardless of the short time he's been here, Garnett, more than any other player who I've seen live except Bird (and this includes Pierce), defines what it is to be a great Celtic. To me, it's not how long you do it, it's what you do while you're here. If everybody disagrees, fine, I just think it's crazy to see so many players who did less for the Celtics than Garnett has done in two years being listed as nominees while Garnett, who is the reason this team is back in the discussion of great franchises, doesn't even get a mention.

Well, under that definition, then this discussion shouldn't even be happening. This entire exercise is built around choosing the names on the back.

But I will add to this - if the names on the back aren't good enough, the name on the front doesn't win. We saw plenty of that for the 15-20 years preceding 2007. If you don't have the stars - the Birds, the Russells, the Cousys - you don't win the titles that makes the very word Celtic synonymous with great in the first place. Nobody would remember Luscutoff or Sanders or KC Jones if Russell hadn't made that team great. Great players make those non stars into people worth remembering. Only a handful of Celtics have done that with their teammates, and Garnett is one of them.
The point I'm trying to make is what difference does it make if you are the second best player on a team or third or fourth as long as that team couldn't do without you.

KG was the best player on a championship team but he's been here 2 years. Jo Jo White and Bill Sharman and Cedric Maxwell were the second or third best players on their teams that won two championships or more and were long, long time Celtics who sacrificed themselves for years.

You're young and what you know and have lived are the last 25 years. I respect that. But in this sense you are justifying  KG's Celtic greatness with your appreciative heart and not your knowledge. His slightly more than 100 games played in no way should count more than those years of toil by great players in their own right who's contributions were absolutely necessary for their teams to win championships.

KG was the best player on the C's in championship #17. But if either Ray Allen or Paul Pierce aren't there, the C's don't win that championship. Does Cousy win the MVP if Sharman isn't hitting all those shots that Cousy assisted to him? Is Larry hoisting the 1984 championship if either McHale or Parish aren't there? Can Hondo and Cowens have won in the 70's without Jo Jo?

You are a truly appreciative green blooded fan that unfortunately grew up during the C's worst era ever. You love KG and point to him being the reason you are counting championships in your lifetime. But putting him ahead of, not just one or two, but several major contributors to multiple championships who's absence could well mean those championships never happened, is a misplaced appreciative gesture. It comes from your heart and I respect and respect your opinion. I think though that doing some research and looking at video and quotes from other players and you may have a different opinion afterward.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
- Sam Jones
- Robert Parish
- Bill Sharman
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
First, thanks nick, I love engaging in debate with you on pretty much any topic. I feel like the offseason is the best opportunity to engage in these conversations which is why I post frequently in the summer and almost never in the season. 

The point I'm trying to make is what difference does it make if you are the second best player on a team or third or fourth as long as that team couldn't do without you.

In my mind, in an exercise titled "Greatest", it makes a big difference, especially when it comes to first v. fourth.  The fourth best player might just be good, not great. This is about the greatest, and by my definition (which nobody needs to follow), true greatness for a relatively short period outweighs being just good for a longer period of time. I'll just make my choices based on my personal feelings about how good or great the players are. I think Garnett is truly great. I think he's one of the 3-5 greatest players ever to play for the Celtics. But I'm limiting myself to contributions as a Celtic, which is why I'd put him down in the 10-14 range right now. As much as greatness is a key to me, there is a sliding scale where being less great or even just very good for a significant period of time outweighs true greatness for a short period. 

For me, replaceability is also a factor. A guy who was the fourth best player on a team may be necessary to that year's title (or in the cases of some 60s guys, 3-4 titles) but that player may also be quite replaceable, and that's where I have issues with some of the people nominated ahead of Garnett. While a lot of those guys were cogs in championship machines, a lot of them were also very replaceable. And I'm not talking about the Sam Joneses and Bill Sharmans (who I admittedly underrated) and Robert Parishes. I'm talking about the Jim Luscotoffs and Ed Macauleys (may have been a great player, but never won a title, and his biggest contribution was being the guy we traded for Russell) and Don Nelsons. Yes, they did important things and played well and did what was asked, and certain titles would not have been won without them. But we don't win the title last year without James Posey, does that mean he's as great a Celtic as Kevin Garnett? Or, for that matter, Reggie Lewis, who never won a title? No. Is Sam Jones a greater Celtic than Bob Cousy because he won more titles? Obviously, by this poll, not.

Kevin Garnett filled a role that nobody else (maybe Tim Duncan) could have filled. To look at another team - the Lakers would not have won a couple of their titles without Derek Fisher. Derek Fisher played more years and won more titles as a Laker than Shaquille O'Neal. Does that mean he's greater as a Laker than Shaq? No. Because other guys could have done for the Lakers what Derek Fisher did, or they could have found a way to do it somewhat differently. But Shaq was irreplaceable, so he's greater. Same with Garnett v. a lot of these guys. I'll bet there were several guys who could have come and done what Jim Luscotoff did, or if nobody could have done exactly that, there would have been a different way of doing it that would have brought the same results. That's not to take anything away from what Jungle Jim actually contributed, which was clearly important, that's just to say that when I'm choosing the "Greatest" of anything, I don't take people who were good over people who were truly great just because they were good for a longer period of time than somebody was great.

Like I said, with a sliding scale, guys who were not as great as Garnett but were on the upper level of their teams and did it for longer will get more credit. I'm thinking that I'll put Sharman and Parish ahead of Garnett, too. And DJ is my all time favorite Celtic and I also think he's underrated, so I'll probably put him above Garnett, and Jo Jo too. I fully admit that putting Garnett 10th was a little rash, but part of this is planting the seed for other people to consider the true greatness of Garnett as these rounds roll on, something they may not have been considering since he wasn't nominated. And I think the concept of "great" is something people should think about.

You're young and what you know and have lived are the last 25 years. I respect that. But in this sense you are justifying  KG's Celtic greatness with your appreciative heart and not your knowledge. His slightly more than 100 games played in no way should count more than those years of toil by great players in their own right who's contributions were absolutely necessary for their teams to win championships.

Well, really, that's just opinion. I absolutely can count Garnett's 150 games as a Celtic above the 1000 games because I think those 150 games of greatness are better than 1000 games of good. It depends on objective measures of greatness. I also think he contributed more in 150 games than a lot of these other nominees contributed in their entire careers.

You are a truly appreciative green blooded fan that unfortunately grew up during the C's worst era ever. You love KG and point to him being the reason you are counting championships in your lifetime. But putting him ahead of, not just one or two, but several major contributors to multiple championships who's absence could well mean those championships never happened, is a misplaced appreciative gesture. It comes from your heart and I respect and respect your opinion. I think though that doing some research and looking at video and quotes from other players and you may have a different opinion afterward.

Yes, I'm absolutely biased by my age. As many old games that I watch on NBATV or ESPN Classic (and I watch as much as I can) and as many books about Red Auerbach and the old Celtics that I read (I love reading that stuff), that's still not something I experienced first hand, year after year. And it can't be, it just never will be. I can only go from my experience. But I still strive to remain objective, and on the whole, I think I'm being pretty objective with Garnett by saying he should at least be considered, while I think a lot of you are actually being less subjective by arguing for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th best players on the teams you identify with - all good players and big contributors to Celtics lore, of course - ahead of the truly great player from the current era, simply because he didn't have the opportunity to be in Boston from the start. 

Kevin Garnett is the guy who made the team I love great again. While he didn't come in as a young player, what he did seems to me to be much more similar to what Bill Russell did, or what Dave Cowens did, or what Larry Bird did, which is to come in and lead a team to greatness, than what the role players on earlier championship teams did. Again, I'll harp on it, if it's called "Greatest" I'm looking for greatness. Many to most of the guys remaining on the list simply aren't good enough players to do it - Garnett not only is good enough, but he actually did it.

So for me, it really comes down to the parameters of this exercise. What makes the Celtics such a great franchise, those major contributions and sacrifices from non-stars - as opposed to LA which always just had stars - is what makes this exercise almost futile. Once you get to a certain point (and it might be right about where we are, the 9-12 range) every player gave everything they had and their ultimate success depended on how great the players that they played with were. So what's greater? Are we judging the players, which is what to me the title of "Greatest Celtics of All-Time" implies we should do, or are we judging the circumstances under which they played?

This comes back to my difficulty with cross-comparing eras like this. I've said this a lot with respect to Red Auerbach v. Phil Jackson. I can't say who was the greater coach because they did entirely different jobs despite having the same title. Each did his job about as well as it could be done for his era. So what's "greater"? If Phil had to build the team from scratch as GM and coach with no assistants or scouts, and didn't have the ability to just jump on the team with the best top level talent, could he have done it? I highly doubt it. If Red had to give away control to other people, focus on just a couple of areas, deal with a different roster every season due to the affects of free agency and prepare for/compete against 29 other teams instead of 8, could he have had as much success? Frankly, I doubt that too. But for what each coach had to do at their time, he was perfect.

So too, it's impossible to compare greatness in different eras. The fact is, back in the 60s, there weren't things like free agency and salary caps to tangle with. So some of these guys were the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th best players on numerous championship teams - in the modern era, those guys don't stick around, so the old guys have an inherent advantage under the criteria most voters here are using. And that's an inherent bias that is below the surface, not the above the surface bias that is obvious in younger voters who simply can't have as much knowledge of past history.

It just seems that a lot of those guys are higher on a list of all time greatest Celtics because circumstances allowed them to play relatively minor roles for full careers on teams that had the greatest players (Russell, Cousy, Sharman, Heinsohn followed by Russell, Jones, Havlicek). Yeah, they contributed year after year, but frankly, when I see "Greatest" Celtics, I vote for the people who I think are truly great ahead of those who were just good and helpful, with less regard to the longevity of the respective contributions. Maybe, since the greatness of the franchise is not in stars, but in teamwork, this exercise simply goes against everything it means to be a Celtic, great or good.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
BTW just so you know, I have Garnett somewhere around 15. I have Sharman, Sam Jones, Frank Ramsay, Cedric Maxwell and Parish ahead of him. Now if Garnett leads this bunch to another title then all bets are off as now Garnett jumps ahead of Maxwell and Parish and with another title after that he's top 10 ever and gets his jersey in the rafters.

I don't think we are all that far off. TP. I love the passion and well thought out explanations. Always a pleasure to talk with you paintit

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Parish
Sam Jones
Sharman

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 07:34:59 PM »

Offline Cs09Champs

• Al Horford