Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #7  (Read 12875 times)

25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #7
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This is #7 in a series of threads to determine the 25 greatest Celtics of All-Time.

It´s the off-season, and we need something to talk about besides nonsensical trade-rumors.

So I thought we could make a big poll to decide once and for all who are the greatest Celtics of all-time. I´m sure it has been done many times before, and I know that it´s tricky to rate our legends, but I think there´s no better place for this than Celticsblog, and I haven´t seen such a poll here before.

Players to consider:

Paul Pierce
Dave Cowens
Sam Jones
Robert Parish
JoJo White
Bill Sharman
Dennis Johnson
K.C. Jones
Frank Ramsey
Satch Sanders
Don Nelson
Jim Loscutoff
Ed Macauley

Rules

1. Only former or current players are eligible.
No former coaches, GMs or owners. The Celtics´ history has just too many characters to include all of them.
You can´t vote for a player who has already won one of the earlier polls.

2. You can include off-the-court performances.
Although only former or current players are eligible, it is perfectly fine to include Tommy`s contributions as a coach and broadcaster, Danny Ainge`s work as a GM or Dave Cowens´ nap on a parkbench after celebrating with the fans in 1974 in your evaluation.

3. You have three votes.
The first vote is worth 4 points, the second 2 points, and the third 1 point. This system is certainly more suited for a poll like this than a simple "one vote" poll.

Just write a post with your votes, and after the poll is closed, I will go through the thread and count every vote personally. I´ll close the poll in 2-4 days.

#1 Bill Russell
#2 Larry Bird
#3 John Havlicek
#4 Bob Cousy
#5 Kevin McHale

Winner of the last poll:

Thomas William "Tommy" Heinsohn
8× NBA Champion (1957, 1959–1965)
6× NBA All-Star (1957, 1961–1965)
4× All-NBA Second Team (1961–1964)
1957 NBA Rookie of the Year
1973 NBA Coach of the Year

In 1956, Heinsohn was chosen as the Boston Celtics 'regional', or 'territorial', draft pick. In his first season, Heinsohn played in an NBA All-Star Game, was named the NBA Rookie of the Year, and won his first championship ring. He was part of a Celtics squad that won eight NBA titles in nine years, including eight in a row between 1959 and 1966. In NBA history, only teammates Bill Russell and Sam Jones won more championship rings during their playing careers. During his playing career, Heinsohn was named to six All-Star teams. On the day his teammate and fellow Holy Cross Crusader Bob Cousy retired, Heinsohn scored his 10,000th career point. His number 15 was retired by the Celtics in 1965.

Off the court, Heinsohn played an important leadership role in the NBA Players Association. He was the association's second president (following founding president Bob Cousy), and was instrumental in the league's acceptance of free agency following a showdown at the All-Star game in 1964, in which the All-Star players, led by Heinsohn, threatened to strike.

Heinsohn became the Celtics' head coach beginning in the 1969-70 season. He led the team to a league best 68-14 record during the 1972-73 season and was named Coach of the Year, although Boston was upset in the playoffs. The next season Heinsohn and the Celtics won the championship, and they claimed another title in 1976. He accumulated a career coaching record of 427-263

Heinsohn's broadcasting career began in 1966, calling play-by-play for WKBG's Celtic broadcasts. He would spend three seasons in this role before becoming coach in 1969. From 1990-1999, Heinson was the Celtics road play-by-play man on WFXT, WSBK, and WABU.

In 1981, Heinsohn joined Mike Gorman as color commentator in the Celtics' TV broadcasts; they have since become one of the longest-tenured tandems in sports broadcasting history. Occasionally, Bob Cousy made appearances with the tandem of Gorman and Heinsohn. Until 1999, the tandem of Gorman and Heinsohn were only exclusive for the Celtics' home schedule, except for several CBS games where Heinsohn is also involved. For a time in the 1980s, he was in the same capacity during CBS' coverage of the NBA Finals (with Dick Stockton) calling 4 Finals from 1984 to 1987, three of which involved the Boston Celtics against the Los Angeles Lakers, the rivalry that revived the NBA in the 1980s.

He also points out players who display extra hustle and are willing to "risk life and limb" to help the team by giving them "Tommy Points". One player in each game has exceptional play and hustle highlighted for the "Tommy Award". During broadcasts, he is known for his sense of humor and his tendency to question the calls of game officials.
Source: Wikipedia

Final Outcome (points in parenthesis):
Total Votes: 28

Tommy Heinsohn (59)
Dave Cowens (54)
Paul Pierce (47)
Sam Jones (22)
Robert Parish (7)
Dennis Johnson (5)
Two players tied with 1 point
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:48:27 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #7
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pierce
Cowens
S. Jones

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
S. Jones
Pierce
Cowens
Green 18!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Cowens
Pierce
Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Pierce
Jones
Parish
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:27 AM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Cowens
Pierce
S. Jones

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Sam Jones
Dave Cowens
Paul Pierce

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
7. Cowens
8. Sam Jones
9. Robert Parish

I can't believe how little respect Dave Cowens gets.  I mean, he was a league MVP, and yet people are leaving him out of their top-nine.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
7. Cowens
8. Sam Jones
9. Robert Parish

I can't believe how little respect Dave Cowens gets.  I mean, he was a league MVP, and yet people are leaving him out of their top-nine.
I know my favorite C ever but I gotta say sam jones is by far the forgotten man here.
How about Cowen's quote when asked how his C championship team would do against last years Celtics.  Without a hesitation, "we'd kill them" why? "we'd run them into the ground"
paraphrased

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
7. Pierce
8. Cowens
9. Sam Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
7. Cowens
8. Sam Jones
9. Robert Parish

I agree with Roy. Cowens is the ROdney Dangerfield of the Celtics.

Cowens
Parrish
K.C. Jones

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
I agree with Roy. Cowens is the ROdney Dangerfield of the Celtics.

Well, they do look similar  :P

Cowens
Pierce
S. Jones
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Btw, I will assume that you meant Sam, not K.C. Jones, if you only wrote "Jones". If you mean K.C., please edit your post.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sam Jones
Dave Cowens
Robert Parish

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »

Offline KG