Author Topic: Impossible to fathom Celtics Big Five trade idea  (Read 1892 times)

Impossible to fathom Celtics Big Five trade idea
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I am not sure if this has been brought up before but a trade involving bringing Butler, George and signing Hayward in free agency is theoretically possible?

I must say that I am sure this is impractical and in essence impossible in the real work, it is fun to think about.

Indiana: Brown, Smart, Zeller, 2018 Brooklyn pick, 2019 Boston pick
Chicage: Crowder, Bradley, 2017 1st pick, 2019 LA Clippers pick
Boston: Butler, George

After the trade sign Hayward in Free Agency and fill the rest of the roster with vets mins and rookies

Horford
George
Hayward
Butler
Thomas

Re: Impossible to fathom Celtics Big Five trade idea
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
There is such a thing called the salary cap. Unless it is raised to $150m, this is not possible.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »

• Bill Walton
There is such a thing called the salary cap. Unless it is raised to $150m, this is not possible.

The trade brings back equal salaries and considering we have the current ability to offer Hayward a max...it is possible, the depth and long term cap problems would make it impractical.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I am not sure if this has been brought up before but a trade involving bringing Butler, George and signing Hayward in free agency is theoretically possible?

I must say that I am sure this is impractical and in essence impossible in the real work, it is fun to think about.

After the trade sign Hayward in Free Agency and fill the rest of the roster with vets mins and rookies

Horford
George
Hayward
Butler
Thomas
hmm, no bench. no youth to build with.  no future assets to add to the roster.  no rebounder.  no commitment from PG after next season.  no one big enough to match up with real centers or bruiser power forwards.

if the starters don't get burned out playing major minutes without a decent bench, they'd probably make the ECF and still lose to Cleveland.
- no one that stops Thompson or Love on the boards.
- none of the players you acquired stops Lebron
- IT still can't cover Kyrie or JR Smith.

If we're going with a 4 all-star approach, one of those players needs to be a big man to put with Al and the trades can't gut the team of everyone that's serviceable especially since signing Hayward means cutting ties with our existing FA's

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The trade brings back equal salaries and considering we have the current ability to offer Hayward a max...it is possible, the depth and long term cap problems would make it impractical.

It is possible, but not in your scenario. We would have to renounce all of our FAs, sign Hayward for a little less than the max and then complete your trades well after the draft when Fultz's salary will actually count. Zeller will also need to be let go and cannot be used in a trade if we sign Hayward.

-Crowder, Bradley, Rozier, Memphis pick (or BKN '18 - yikes) for Butler
-Brown, Smart, BKN '17 for George

These trades are pretty killer from the Cs perspective from a value and future salary standpoint and with one of the most dominating teams in history around for several more years, we would still need lots of luck to contend.

A lot better to just sign Hayward, draft Fultz and hope things can work themselves out. If not, we will have one of the best young cores moving forward.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »

• Bill Walton

Horford
George
Hayward
Butler
Thomas
hmm, no bench. no youth to build with.  no future assets to add to the roster.  no rebounder.  no commitment from PG after next season.  no one big enough to match up with real centers or bruiser power forwards.

if the starters don't get burned out playing major minutes without a decent bench, they'd probably make the ECF and still lose to Cleveland.
- no one that stops Thompson or Love on the boards.
- none of the players you acquired stops Lebron
- IT still can't cover Kyrie or JR Smith.

If we're going with a 4 all-star approach, one of those players needs to be a big man to put with Al and the trades can't gut the team of everyone that's serviceable especially since signing Hayward means cutting ties with our existing FA's

HAHA before you get angry, I have already alluded to the fact it is fantasy but we would still have Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele and not including any vets to plug holes where it's needed.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

If that's the case then I apologize for being inaccurate.

As you do allude to though, the long term (and it's not even LT - just one year) cap issues make this impractical. It truly is an all-in scenario and after one year the team splits apart whether it wins a title or not.

I guess it's interesting from a theoretical standpoint. You'd probably win your fantasy league with that team.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't see it as interesting. You'd have a bunch of redundant players.

There's a lot of PG trade ideas, but there's next to zero chance we acquire him. Indy isn't giving him up for anything other than BRK '17 and/or '18. Ainge cannot give a pick like that for a guy playing on his final year, he won't sign an extension, and no assurance from PG alleviates the risk that he couild walk away after one year. The instant you trade for PG, he holds all the cards. Ainge would have to be a fool to put himself in that position. 

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Boston: Butler,
George

Horford
George
Hayward
Butler
Thomas

No offense, but this is crazy.