Author Topic: ESPN Patriots Article (MERGED)  (Read 13589 times)

Re: Just found this on 98.5 Twitter page...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I totally get why Patriots fans would write this off, but there is plenty of meat in there, especially involving Jimmy G and Brady's trainer.  The timing of the Jimmy G trade is just weird, especially with all of the firm statements that he wouldn't be traded in the off season (when they could have had at least #12 from Cleveland) and couple that with the fact that Brady was the only other QB on the roster at the time (the Pats sort of lucked into Hoyer).  It smacks of Bill getting overruled and forced into making a trade he didn't want to make.  Then you have Bill banning Brady's trainer after years of a certain type of relationship. 

There is definitely smoke there, which means there is some sort of fire. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I totally get why Patriots fans would write this off, but there is plenty of meat in there, especially involving Jimmy G and Brady's trainer.  The timing of the Jimmy G trade is just weird, especially with all of the firm statements that he wouldn't be traded in the off season (when they could have had at least #12 from Cleveland) and couple that with the fact that Brady was the only other QB on the roster at the time (the Pats sort of lucked into Hoyer).  It smacks of Bill getting overruled and forced into making a trade he didn't want to make.  Then you have Bill banning Brady's trainer after years of a certain type of relationship. 

I agree. A smart organization like NE wouldn't trade its third-string QB if it planned on soon trading its second-string QB.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
What was weird about the timing of the trade?

They didn't trade him in that off season, because they needed to see if Brady could still actually make it happen in games.

Once they got up to the deadline, and Brady still clearly has 'it's, they faced the choice of keeping Jimmy and losing him for nothing at the end of the season for nothing, or getting something for him now.

I am not saying the Kraft-Brady deal didn't occur, and it seems certainly possible,  but the timing of this trade was not in any way "weird".

Get a high second, or a late third comp pick.

Or trade Brady.

But something had to be done. Keeping both was not an option.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
It wouldn’t be the first time that egos broke up a team, but I’ll believe it when I see it.  Brady and BB need each other.
As someone who has long been of the opinion that Kraft forced Belichick to trade Jimmy G. last-minute, I think this would be the point of any potential rift. Belichick knows football and football history. He knows that his success is directly tied to Brady's. He probably wanted to win with Jimmy G. to prove that it was he, not Brady, who was most responsible for the Patriots success. Imagine the return he could have gotten for Brady after this year. The Pats are already stacked, and if there was little to no drop-off from Brady to Garoppolo, adding the players and picks that would have come from a Brady trade could have set the Patriots up for another 10-year dynasty. Instead, Belichick was forced to trade two over-prepared quarterbacks for nothing, and I think that he will now retire when Brady does and leave the Patriots screwed.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They didn't trade him in that off season, because they needed to see if Brady could still actually make it happen in games.

Once they got up to the deadline, and Brady still clearly has 'it's, they faced the choice of keeping Jimmy and losing him for nothing at the end of the season for nothing, or getting something for him now.

I am not saying the Kraft-Brady deal didn't occur, and it seems certainly possible,  but the timing of this trade was not in any way "weird".

Or trade Brady.

Yea I agree that it could definitely be this, or any number of other reasons (or the story could be mostly true too). It could be that the staff didn't like the way Garrapolo was looking in practice. It could be that Graapolo's agent made it clear in September (but not May) that was he would never sign here this offseason. It could be that the team thought Brady looked better than he would at age 40 and became more comfortable. The timing of the article also seems like it has an agenda of trying to disrupt the playoffs right before the playoffs start.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Or trade Brady.

But why trade Brisset if you are thinking you might trade Jimmy G later in the year?  And they absolutely could have franchised Jimmy G this offseason and either kept both or traded one of them after the franchise tag.  To do that, the Patriots would have just needed the cap space to apply the franchise tag. 

It just feels like a rushed trade out of nowhere, which tends to lend a lot of credence to the fact that it came from ownership and not someone like Bill, who is always so calculated and plans for everything.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Or trade Brady.

Yea I agree that it could definitely be this, or any number of other reasons (or the story could be mostly true too). It could be that the staff didn't like the way Garrapolo was looking in practice. It could be that Graapolo's agent made it clear in September (but not May) that was he would never sign here this offseason. It could be that the team thought Brady looked better than he would at age 40 and became more comfortable. The timing of the article also seems like it has an agenda of trying to disrupt the playoffs right before the playoffs start.
If anyone on the Patriots staff didn't like how Jimmy G was looking, they should be fired immediately because Jimmy G clearly has that special factor.  Look at what he did for San Fran. 

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Please let this be true!

- Dolphins fan
 :o

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
That joint statement from the Patriots is total bogus. Bill Belichick would never comment on an article like that and would just brush it off. This smells like Kraft told the PR staff to write something that makes them look like their still all on the same page.

One of the biggest bombshells in the article to me, was Jimmy G being denied treatment by the TB12 clinic following his shoulder injury. He was seen two weeks later, after a high ranking Patriots staffer questioned his denial. I'm sure it was only a coincidence that Brady was scheduled to come off his suspension when Jimmy G was allowed to be treated at the TB12 clinic.

There was a huge omission in the article. When is Belichick's contract up? The New York Giants seem like a great opportunity for him now (this was once speculated to be his dream job). They have a veteran QB, that knows how to win in big games. Bill may be the difference that allows Manning to make the playoffs again, and play in those big games. They also have the #2 pick in the upcoming draft, where they can pick the successor QB for the future. And Bill could force the other part of the equation; could Brady and Kraft figure out a way to win without him.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

Definitely agree. To write this off as 'zero substance' is being delusional! It's no secret that Brady is a diva and BB is eccentric while Kraft is in the middle. I'm sure this isn't the first time there's been a rift in Patriotland. Letting JG go for peanuts was a HUGE mistake and will come back to haunt them.  I hope TB12 makes him invincible because they're a Brady injury away from being a bottom 10 team. 
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Please let this be true!

- Dolphins fan

;D ;D - Steelers fan
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Or trade Brady.

If anyone on the Patriots staff didn't like how Jimmy G was looking, they should be fired immediately because Jimmy G clearly has that special factor.  Look at what he did for San Fran.

Jimmy G made his first start for the 49ers when they were 1-10. Yet he was able to go 5-0 to finish the season. I find it beyond idiotic, that most Patriots fans thought the Pats could only win with Brady. Jimmy G looked like the second coming of Aaron Rogers when he started for the Pats during Brady's suspension, with all of their weapons on offense.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Please let this be true!

- Dolphins fan

;D ;D - Steelers fan
I feel for you brother. Painful way to lose home field advantage.  The NFL reception rules have always been strange.  Correct call, but just a rule that doesn't jive with what the eyeballs showed.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Or trade Brady.

Ok so I listed 3 reasons and you disagree with 1. Are the other two not believable?

Also interesting to think about this comparison:

Colin Kaepernick last five full games in 2016:

64.6 completion percentage on 164 attempts
1,093 passing yards for 9 TD, 2 INT and passer rating of 96.9
27 rushes for 188 yards and 1 TD

Jimmy Garoppolo last five full games in 2017:

67.1 completion percentage on 176 attempts
1,542 passing yards for 6 TD, 5 INT and passer rating of 94.0
14 rushes for 7 yards and 1 TD

I think Garoppolo could be an excellent player, but he is definitely getting a ton of extra hype from the fact that the 49ers got a streak going with 2 impressive wins and 3 games they may have won anyways (in the final week the Rams start Mannion at qb and Brown at RB).

I think he could very well have a great year next year, but lets not assume he is all-time great just yet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:39:08 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Or trade Brady.

Ok so I listed 3 reasons and you disagree with 1. Are the other two not believable?

Also interesting to think about this comparison:

Colin Kaepernick last five full games in 2016:

64.6 completion percentage on 164 attempts
1,093 passing yards for 9 TD, 2 INT and passer rating of 96.9
27 rushes for 188 yards and 1 TD

Jimmy Garoppolo last five full games in 2017:

67.1 completion percentage on 176 attempts
1,542 passing yards for 6 TD, 5 INT and passer rating of 94.0
14 rushes for 7 yards and 1 TD

I think Garoppolo could be an excellent player, but he is definitely getting a ton of extra hype from the fact that the 49ers got a streak going with 2 impressive wins and 3 games they may have won anyways (in the final week the Rams start Mannion at qb and Brown at RB).

I think he could very well have a great year next year, but lets not assume he is all-time great just yet.

I saw that garbage stat/argument today. Funny how the article never mentioned that the 49ers got worse every year Kaepernick played. And in those final 6 games, I believe his record was 1-5. Jimmy G started the last 5 games for a 1-10 team and still went 5-0, while taking two snaps or so as a sub in that first game (to come up with their 6 game argument). Also, lost in the argument, is the fact that Kaepernick was already a 5 year starter, while Jimmy G had only started 2 or 3 games previously in his career. Talk about cherry picking stats to try to make an argument.